News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

sunroof question

Started by rudyjrusa, January 26, 2007, 08:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudyjrusa

does the sunroof contain these foam panels??  and how does the headliner attach to interior part of sunroof???  do you have to glue the headliner to sunroof???  i buying headliner with extra material so i can do the sunroof.  thanks for any info

moparjohn

I am asuming you have a 71 or newer car so I might be wrong.  The foam panels in the pic are simular to those on my 69 so I would say they are original.  The headliner material comes back from the windshield trim and covers the foam, it then curves up and gets sandwiched between the foam/edge of the interior roof and under the alumn. molding that frames the sunroof calbes on three sides, (front and sides) The sliding door part of the sunroof has a floating frame of flat steel that is covered w/headliner material. Hope my description helps. John
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

rudyjrusa

Quote from: moparjohn on January 26, 2007, 11:59:37 PM
I am asuming you have a 71 or newer car so I might be wrong.  The foam panels in the pic are simular to those on my 69 so I would say they are original.  The headliner material comes back from the windshield trim and covers the foam, it then curves up and gets sandwiched between the foam/edge of the interior roof and under the alumn. molding that frames the sunroof calbes on three sides, (front and sides) The sliding door part of the sunroof has a floating frame of flat steel that is covered w/headliner material. Hope my description helps. John

so i keep the foam pieces within the sunroof and do i glue the headliner material to the metal piece of sunroof?  i am not sure how the headliner holds onto the sunroof??

moparjohn

On my car the foam is only on the front, and the HL is not glued to it just pulled tight ontop of it.  The white lip around your sunroof hole opening, is it a removalble trim piece? if it is the headliner material might get fastened there.  My car has no trim inside the car opening at all.  Aluminum frames the cables and motor gear fron the top. (2 side pieces, 2 small corners, 2 short trim piedes and a center piece. These are all held in place w/srews that hold down the headliner material.   The sliding door is located to the side trim panels by a bracket that is ajustable.  The side trim has 2 channels, one the sunroof door slides in (brackets) and one the inner sunrrof door panel rides in (flat metal frame w/headliner material on it) the inner pannel attaches to the main door body w/ 2 samm srews at the corner of the front of the sliding door panel.   OK ask more if you need. John

ScottW

Rudy, here is a link to '71 Dodge TSB's. About midpage are 12 TSB's for the sunroof. It may help you out as you go along. I've got the '74 body manual, I think it covers the sunroof. I'll check it out and maybe post some pics for you.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/1971-Dodge-TSB-Index.shtml

1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1974 Dodge Charger SE 360/4v Sunroof

RogerDodger

There is a frame that the headliner attaches to that is removeable from the sunroof. I think you have too remove the whole sunroof assembly to remove the frame. I used headliner insulation from Legendary which I glued to the sunroof with 3M spray adhesive. I didn't glue the headliner to the insulation only to the back side of the frame. Spray both the headliner and the back side of the frame with the 3M adhesive and wait a short while. Pull it tight and wrap it around the back (or topside) of the frame. Then you can reattach the frame to the sunroof and install the sunroof assembly. Then you can do the rest of the headliner. Here is a couple of pics. 58 has the healiner and frame still attached. 60 is after it was removed.

rudyjrusa

Quote from: RogerDodger on January 31, 2007, 06:40:58 PM
There is a frame that the headliner attaches to that is removeable from the sunroof. I think you have too remove the whole sunroof assembly to remove the frame. I used headliner insulation from Legendary which I glued to the sunroof with 3M spray adhesive. I didn't glue the headliner to the insulation only to the back side of the frame. Spray both the headliner and the back side of the frame with the 3M adhesive and wait a short while. Pull it tight and wrap it around the back (or topside) of the frame. Then you can reattach the frame to the sunroof and install the sunroof assembly. Then you can do the rest of the headliner. Here is a couple of pics. 58 has the healiner and frame still attached. 60 is after it was removed.

thanks for the info.  i will try to remove the sunroof so i can place the headliner material onto it. this will be my first time removing the sunroof.  is there some diagrams available???

there is also a rubber piece that is riveted around the edge of sunroof - are there any new pieces available - so i can replace it??

and there is a rubber piece that goes around the roof of car for the sunroof so it does not leak.  can i purchase new ones.  they seam to be cracked.

thanks

RogerDodger

Here is a link to some good info about sunroofs  http://1970chargerregistry.com/70messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=371&highlight=sunroof

I haven't been able to find any replacement weatherstrip or seals for these. I left the one that is rivited to the back of the sunroof off. Mine was very deteriorated. The water is supposed to get into the channel around the sunroof and exit through the drain tubes so I don't think that is a critical seal. Maybe just for Noise? I'm still a long way from driving mine so I'm not sure. Do make sure the drain tubes are draining properly. Mine were draining behind the quarterpanels and I think that contributed to all the rust I had there. Now I have them exiting through the inner wheel house. The front ones drain through the rockers at the kick plate. I'm not sure what to do with them to improve it. I might just make sure its all painted and undercoated good and leave it be. I have more pics if you need them. I wish I took some as I was putting it all together.

Doright

I have been told to drill holes up front and rear and add more tubing to drain all water out out side of car.
I am looking for new foam kit for my car and a few other pieces 72 SE

I am working with a guy who is trying to make up new weather striping for the roof's. He is also trying to make up new cables, I will post his info IF HE is willing to have me post it BUT I have to ask him first, He knows more about Sun roof cars than any other person I have ever talked too.

Mine is in about the same shape as those pictured, maybe worse! as my left hand cable has no Attachment (no lifting cam) and drive gear is striped out. Foam is all but gone and interior trim that holds head liner is bent up in the front and corners.
I am pulling my roof panel today I would definitely read all info from TBS's before removing roof panel it gives more info than the body manual gives.
A copy of most models TSB's is available on line from a very nice man and his web site http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/index.shtml I was able t copy 69-71 models but was not able to copy any of the 72 stuff if any one else has any luck please let me know how you copied it. 72 is diffrent from others for some reason.
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

rudyjrusa

Quote from: Doright on February 28, 2007, 10:40:40 AM
I have been told to drill holes up front and rear and add more tubing to drain all water out out side of car.
I am looking for new foam kit for my car and a few other pieces 72 SE

I am working with a guy who is trying to make up new weather striping for the roof's. He is also trying to make up new cables, I will post his info IF HE is willing to have me post it BUT I have to ask him first, He knows more about Sun roof cars than any other person I have ever talked too.

Mine is in about the same shape as those pictured, maybe worse! as my left hand cable has no Attachment (no lifting cam) and drive gear is striped out. Foam is all but gone and interior trim that holds head liner is bent up in the front and corners.
I am pulling my roof panel today I would definitely read all info from TBS's before removing roof panel it gives more info than the body manual gives.
A copy of most models TSB's is available on line from a very nice man and his web site http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/index.shtml I was able t copy 69-71 models but was not able to copy any of the 72 stuff if any one else has any luck please let me know how you copied it. 72 is diffrent from others for some reason.

the car is a 1974 dodge charger SE and trying to find out exactly how to place headliner onto sunroof.  i am looking for the rubber lining that goes around roof and around the sunroof.  nobody seems to carry these items.  i need some new parts.  if i remove the sunroof - i would like to replace these worn out rubber pieces too.  another issue is the vinyl top - need to find out how to exactly place vinyl top onto sunroof.  maybe i should have a professional do it - probably would be cheaper and would be a nicer job.

RogerDodger

Doright- I would drill holes so the tubing exits the car. I didn't have to extend my rear ones. They were long enough. Might have to on the front. Haven't done them yet. If your "guy" can come up with replacement weatherstrip I would be interested. I was able to reuse all but the small one that is rivited to the back edge of the sunroof. Actually come to think of it I'm not going to take it all apart to do that now. When you say foam are you talking about the headliner insulation? If so that you can get pretty easily. I got some from Legendary. The other foam I can think of is the foam strip between the sunroof assembly and the roof of the car. This is a strip about 3/8" thick maybe 3/4" wide. I got some from Home Depot.

Rudy- the vinyl on the sunroof is the easy part once the sunroof is all taken apart. You need to buy extra material because what you cut out when you do the car won't be enough. Glue it down to the top side and wrap it around all four sides if I remember right. Its the car roof that gets tricky. I think there are some threads here on vinyl top installation and they usually come with instructions. The trick to doing one with a sunroof is to make sure when you get it accross the sunroof its pulled tight in all directions so you don't end up with a wrinkle from extra material. Definately a good job to have a helper.

Doright

Quote from: RogerDodger on February 28, 2007, 07:35:17 PM
Doright- I would drill holes so the tubing exits the car.

Yep that was my plan!

If your "guy" can come up with replacement weatherstrip I would be interested.

Ok So will I Havnt heard back from messages to him yet, He is working on the peice that goes across the back the one that is rivited and the one that goes around the openning in the car around the sides and front, mine are shot. 

When you say foam are you talking about the headliner insulation? If so that you can get pretty easily. I got some from Legendary.

YES, I had NO idea Legendary was selling that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    was your car a power roof or a hand crank????

The other foam I can think of is the foam strip between the sunroof assembly and the roof of the car.

???? Boy you lost me with that one maybe mine is gone all together got a pic of this one????

Doright
A&P FCC 

barnfindcuda

the original weather strip is no longer available, however, there is a metal band style weatherstrip covered in felt that is still available, it can be fastened around the sides and across the fron similar to the original, the rear if i am not mistaken was originaly a solid rubber style , the felt style still available is available in 3 sizes, your going to need 2 seals, if i am correct you will need a full felt style seal for the front and sides in a small or medium, and half of medium seal for the rear,you can install them with the snotty yellow 3m trim adhesive without the need for rivets,if the glue holds well enough! you can rivet if desired, as for the drains, all newer vehicles have the provisions for water to exit the inner body panels when moisture enters, this is in its design, even the aftermarket is able to take advantage of this design, however, these provisions were neve rmade in earlier built vehicles , this is why water sat in the bottoms of panels and caused rust issues, making an exit hole is not a bad thing to consider however, more than likley you wont be driving your newly restored vehicle in the rain! so you should just make sure the tubes get to the rocker ,kick or wheel well areas, and in the headliner area, make sure they dont go uphill, otherwise the water level has to rise up before it exits the vehicle,if they go up high enough the water will rise above the water managment sytem, IE. water throuth and side and front water channels before it exits, causing water to come up and over the slide rails.  as for the avalablility of the seals,  call addison illinois information, ask for TG automotive, ask for greg,he will hook you up, or call erickson auto trim in racine wisconsin, 262-632-5907 ask for mark, he can get them  but you need to explain to him what you need!  (felt ASC seal with metal band in the middle and blue rubber bead inside)  will probably be around $150 to $200  they are no longer made but still available, not many left around though!

Doright

My friend has the felt seals and other misc. parts.
He is working on having new cables made, A lot will depend on your responses I'm sure.
He is a wealth of info and welcomes all who call about parts availability, Keep in mind he works for a living though so no calling when it late.
Keep in mind he doesn't have it all and he is not a pro parts suplier he is just an individual selling some parts he has, so don't expect him to take credit cards or checks better to use Federal postal money orders for you and him.

Dave Hemenway
303-770-5579
please don't call unless your ready to buy! the parts they are expensive, keep that in mind as well when calling, he also doesn't take credit cards!!!!!!!

gemi6562@msn.com     Best way to contact him!!!!

6217 s Poplar st
Centennial  Co.   80111
Doright
A&P FCC 

barnfindcuda

been awhile since i have worked on one of these , but i beileve the cables are very similar to a unit called the ASC modular, you would have to pull them apart and if this is true , wouldnt be difficult to make, but ,cables dont usually fail. i think thse are still available, its just trying to find someone that stocks that stuff, greg at TG automotive in addison illinois is a very knowledgeable person when it comes o sunroofs, thas all he does all day long is supply the industry with reconditioned and new sunroof and t-top parts

Doright

Could you please provide his contact info?
Doright
A&P FCC 

barnfindcuda

if your asking me for the contact info from greg at TG automotive in addison illinois, he is very well connected, just call addison information and they will give you his number, he is a nice guy and has been doing this along time, i have recently changed careers, after 22 years, calling information would be the easiest way to get ahold of him,  if i do get his number i will post it

Doright

Any one else have any contacts with actual phone numbers or email addresses? please provide contact info!
or company's! persons actually supplying parts for these sun roofs! things are hard enough without chasing tails.

Oh and by the way I heard a rumor that American sunroof was going to make a run of cables for these cars, along with some assorted parts, This is the company that made the sunroofs and all the components.

http://home.primus.ca/~triton/asc/
Doright
A&P FCC 

Doright

I have found another person who has parts for these sun roofs and again I will post his contact info!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kelly's SunRoof Parts
1501 Gold Rush rd.
Bullhead city AZ 86442
1-888-298-8140
Tell him Dennis Sent you from the web site
Doright
A&P FCC 

Doright

I have also contacted Legendary interior's and they do not carry the foam for the interior!
No one I have contacted has this ANY ONE have any ideas were to get it from?
Doright
A&P FCC 

barnfindcuda

kelly's is very well known in the aftermarket sunroof industry, thats a great contact!

Doright

I went into great detail yesterday begging American sunroof to go back into production of these parts and it was a big NOPE! not gonna do it!

Wow the Sun roof that made the company and the company's creator famous and they just abandon it! How UN American is that?

Or should I say thats the new American way forget the past!
Doright
A&P FCC 

Doright

OK guy's I have posted every bit of info I have and have found a few parts I need but I am still looking for the foam for the inside of my car can any one provide any contact info for some one with this part for a 72 SE I spent hours on the phone yesterday for every ones benefit not just my own, some one Else's turn!!!!!
Doright
A&P FCC 

barnfindcuda

first a question, are you talking about a hard foam like material , kind of the shape of bulls horns.  thats what we actually use to call them when installing sunroofs, if that is the piece, i cant imagine anyone remanufacturing them and american sunroofs hasnt made that sunroof in literraly 30 years, they arent in the same plant and are in no way the same company! dont be mad at them, they are great people , i personaly know about 5 people that have been with american for almost 25 years, i am sure they dont have any way to reproduce them without great expence, however if thats the type of piece your speaking of you could probably make one, it was made of an expandable foam, much like expandable packing foam that hold coponents firmly in place in a cardboard box, if thats the case, you maye have to get a rather large piece of foam,(already cured) and sculpt one, truth is that piece isnt that critical, its just so you dont see the metal edges around the sunroof motor or sides of pan, if you glue some sheet foam you get at a fabric store with 3M spray adheasive ,to the bottom of the pan ,carefully use a razor blade to give you a shape that closley resembles that original piece, the headliner covers it and will give you a very close look that you are trying to achieve, i hope this helps, an i hope that is the peice your talking about or this whole paragraph was for nuthin!!! lol
anyhow good luck,

moparjohn

I feel your fustration.  I had my headliner made/installed by a local upolstry guy and it turned out great.  IF you can find someone who has original foam the will let you use maybe a good shop by you can mold/carve one to match.  I would help by donating mine  if 1. my car was 3rd gen, 2. the headliner was just done and I won't reopen it. Sorry I can't help more but I think a good U-man could help.