News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new paint

Started by deathcharger71, January 27, 2007, 06:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathcharger71

im gonna get a new paint job soon, im short on money so i want to strip the old paint off myself. is there any easy/safe way to go about doing this in my driveway? it has 2 paint jobs on it now, the original and a p.o.s. garage job on top of that.

Silver R/T

There's aircraft stripper, you can buy paint stripper at lowes. Do one panel at a time. Wear respirator, gloves, goggles. Put something down where all the goo is going to drip. You don't want it to eat into your driveway. You have to wash off panel very good after its stripped.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

RogerDodger

I used Aircraft Stripper. It worked pretty good on the first coat but it hardly touched the original factory paint. For that I went to coarse sandpaper on the D/A sander.

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Charger-Bodie

im not a big fan of corosive chemical strippers because the get places that you cant get them out of ie seams ect and cause rust if not completlt neutralized there for i always sand the pant off it takes longer but its worth it to me because i like the cars i do to last and i hate rust
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Silver R/T

Way I strip panels is I mask off edges so stripper doesnt get into seams/jambs. Only do one panel at a time. Some strippers are stronger than others and some only take one coat off at a time. When all done stripping panel, you wash it and when dry I go and remove remaining bits on the edges and work on jambs.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

chargercraig

I striped my 68 down to mostly metal and primer. It had the original paint plus a crappy red paint job. I used an orbital sander. It only took a couple off weeks working a few hours every night. I used 40 grit and 80 grit once I was down to primer.

mopar_madman

if you use the aircraft stripper, what i did was take some coarse sandpaper (40 to 80 is fine) just sand the top surface till you cut into the paint, apply stripper in one direction not going back over the area (brush once and that's it) once its coated put kitchen plastic wrap over the area, this will hold the fumes in and make the stripper more effective and you can leave it sit longer without drying out. You'll see the progress also, then scrape and repeat. When your done i take SOS pads and water to clean the surface and neutralize the stripper. (vinegar and water will also neutralize most strippers) I wipe down the surface with wax and grease for a final clean then 80 grit on the DA. When your down to bare metal you want to use a metal prep like dupont 5717s (acid) to clean , etch and protect from any flash rust. Then epoxy prime with the paint system of your choice.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger