News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Light spots in new paint question??

Started by javakmcharger68, September 04, 2005, 08:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

javakmcharger68

Painted my 68 charger last night & discover this morning light spots where you can see through  to primer. I'm fine with adding another sand a & coating the car again, but I have no idea on what sand paper to use or anything.  The rest seemed to turn out great. Can anyone give me an idea on the best way to battle this problem. It would be nice on a very hurting pocket book to save as much money as possible, but I can't leave it as it is or it will haunt me every time I look at the car. Besides I noticed I pebbled the top quarter like a curling rink(I don't know if you have to be from Canada to know what I mean, but I hope you get my piont)

Side note here, this was my very first paint job. I could not get anyone who knew what they were doing around here to have a look at my body work, so I got sick of waiting & I did it the way I thought would look right. Never even seen someone doing this stuff, so it wasn't fun at all. No power tools used either I may add, ya just me & a block. No, not fun  :icon_smile_big:

Thanks as usual to everyone
                                                                                                Cheers

javakmcharger68

mopar_madman

what kind of paint did you use, what did you final sand with before paint and how many coats did you apply and how long did you wait between coats? this will help solve your problem better. also what kind of spray gun?
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

javakmcharger68

Acrylic paint & I used a hvlp with a 1.2 tip. I have a 2.0 but I never used it before. Would this be better?

javakmcharger68

One coat I guess. Took me 3 hours to put on waiting for the air to pump up though.

mopar_madman

how many coats did you apply and how long did you wait between coats?
1973 Dodge Charger
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

javakmcharger68

I was going back & spraying spots(primer) I did see though

javakmcharger68

Lets put it this way. I had to put on two lines of paint & then wait 5 minutes for the little air compressor.

mopar_madman

ok with acrylic enamel you need about 3 coats and you need to give it some time between coats (check paint can instructions) sounds like your compressor is also struggling to keep up. Also enamel istn't the easiest paint to learn on. You need to keep your gun even with the surface and moving consistently while painting. These are just tips there is a lot to learn when painting autobodystore.com has a great message board for body work and they sell instructional videos there.
1973 Dodge Charger
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

mopar_madman

also there are a few professional painters on here maybe you can hook up with one of them.
1973 Dodge Charger
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

Drop Top

Your whole problem is centered around your air compressor. You need one that is much bigger then what you have right now. You need a compressor that will at least allow you to cover the entire car with out having to stop and let it catch up. While you are waiting for the compressor to build back up the paint is drying and that is what is causing the pebbles. Because you know that your going to run out of air your rushing to get it covered. Thats what is causing the uneven coat. You need a constant air pressure for an evan coat. Don't try to paint your car until you can at least barrow a bigger compressor or paint it someplace that has a better set up then what you have.

javakmcharger68

So for the next coat do I sand(what grit) or wipe & paint? I painted last night so the paint is dry? Thanks

73rallye440magnum

you're going to have to scuff everything, do you have a better compressor now?
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

javakmcharger68