News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Original Hollow Aluminum Wing - Reproduction

Started by Daytona Guy, February 05, 2007, 03:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

Original Hollowi Aluminum Wing Reproduction

I want to know what you guys think about the marketability of a Hollow Original "identical looking" Daytona wing. If there is a market what would/should the price be? I am looking for reality here and not some bloated figure, but what someone would actually pay for a virtually identical hollow wing? Is there a price out there of what an original Daytona wing is going for?

I have my foundry guy working on an original hollow cast aluminum wing. These would be identical to the originals and the only difference will be the horizontal piece. It will not be extruded aluminum, but cast and hollow to appear as extruded. This is now in the testing phase and is looking promising. They will be finished primed and ready to bolt on the car. I am looking for a June 07 date.

What do you think of ...

Price: ?

Market: ?

Also, my Daytona hollow wing, dealer installed on a 70 RT Charger, does not have any Chrysler markings on it. Do the Original Daytona wings have stampings, and if they do where and what do they say?

daytonalo

I would pay 2500 to have a as orig wing with all the holes drilled and all body work done or I will take two of them as cast , let me know how much that would be ? Larry

THE CHARGER PUNK

Hey dane u plan on makin anymore of those $600 wing u been making in the past? id be interested in one-MATT

wingfan

There's an original Superbird wing on eBay #150088091996.  It'll be interesting to see what it sells for, if it even makes reserve.  It's already over $1k. 

Daytona Guy

I can do a solid one for you but the cost was 650.00, but as everything this last year, his (foundry) rates went up. They will be 700.00 now. I am doing one for a guy in Roseburge. If someone wants a wing I require payment up front.

nakita7

I would buy one. Around $1000 would be realistic to me. I know some Mopar guys with money to burn might say higher but...

So, are you looking for a certain number of commitments before you cast? Count me in for one. I was going to get a solid one from you, but I like this idea better.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

daytonalo

Go ahead Rene , tell him you have to have deep pockets to build a high qaulity replica

TomP

'70 Charger R/T Clone - FE5/V1W 451/727/Dana/4 wheel disc brakes/AC (Under Restification)
'70 Challenger - FM3/V1W 440/727/8.75/4 wheel disc brakes (Under Restification)
'74 Duster - FM3/V1W 225/904/7.25 Disc/Drum
'93 RAM D250 - 5.9L/A518/9.25 (Old Sacto Cop Truck)
'94 BMW 740iL

Yes, I'm a Dodge Boy.  Verstehen?

BigBlockSam

at this point i can't afford a hollow wing .  Dayclona gets $2900. for there's i bought two wings off of ebay for $800. one from Oscar and one was one of Dane's wings some one was reselling .  plus i got one from Dane . so I'm good on Daytona wings. i would be intrested in a superbird wing for a future project .  if you plan on building a decent daytona replica . you need deep pockets . Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

xs29j8Bullitt

I would be interested in one as well if it could be priced in the $1000 range... what price point are you aiming for?

I have a solid Daytona wing cast by a friend many years ago... it is very heavy!!!

Also, I am in the market for a (horizontal) center airfoil for a Superbird project.  I have the Superbird wing uprights which are nice originals, but the center section was apparently shortened by 4-5 inches at some point over the years...

Allen
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

Daytona Guy

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on February 06, 2007, 06:37:36 PM
I would be interested in one as well if it could be priced in the $1000 range... what price point are you aiming for?

I have a solid Daytona wing cast by a friend many years ago... it is very heavy!!!

Also, I am in the market for a (horizontal) center airfoil for a Superbird project.  I have the Superbird wing uprights which are nice originals, but the center section was apparently shortened by 4-5 inches at some point over the years...

Allen

My understanding from the bird crowd is that the center piece in the same for the Bird and Daytona. The quarters of the Roadrunner are wider across the top than the Charger therefore the wing uprights angle in at the top to meet the horizontal. So you can get any wing horizontal and it will work.

daytonalo

If that was my wing , I would machine that section out of billet and weld it on . Just my two cents

xs29j8Bullitt

Yes, the center sections are the same... but I haven't had any luck in finding one.  I have thought about extending it by welding on some 6061 Aluminum billet material, but will probably do that as a last resort if I cannot find an original piece or very nice repro.

XS
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

hotrod98

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on February 07, 2007, 05:40:03 PM
Yes, the center sections are the same... but I haven't had any luck in finding one. I have thought about extending it by welding on some 6061 Aluminum billet material, but will probably do that as a last resort if I cannot find an original piece or very nice repro.

XS

Maybe Dane could have the foundry cast up an extra blade when he makes his next batch.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Troy

The centers are the same between a Daytona and a Superbird? Those are extruded rght? Hmmmmmmmmm...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

daytonalo

Yep , almost molten alum pushed through a die .

Daytona Guy

I know for sure that I will be at least making 3 hollow wings. One for my Yellow Daytona and one for the future Daytona yet to be conceived. That would leave 2 that I will sell. One hollow wing to see if there is a market, and if not, the hollowing goes the way of the "Beta Max". I will them sell my white solid wing off my yellow Daytona. That one of course is finished. Right now, by first impression of cost for the Daytona wing is 2K. The guy with the Superbird sight is looking at a 3900.00 price range to make theirs. I see that they are not in production.

hotrod98

Dane, Are we talking about a finished, basically ready to paint and install hollow wing?  If so, put me down for one.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Troy

I was asking because I work about 400 yards from an aluminum extrusion company and I could pop in and ask for a quote. How are they bolted to the uprights? Is there a tab welded on or something? Don't know if you've already asked anyone about the extruded ones Dane. It's possible that I could be completely wrong and a hollow cast one will be way cheaper. I really have no idea - just throwing out suggestions.

Troy

hemigeno

Troy,

That would be awesome if someone would consider repoping the extruded center section!

Here are a couple of pics of the center section's ends:

Troy

So how does that mounting area get in there? Is that just a piece at the end or does the wing have two holes and a center "spar" all the way through? Does that bolt hole also act as a pivot? I tried to look up the airfoil number (designation) but couldn't find anything. The Winged Wariors site mentions the "Clark-Y" airfoil for the G-series but nothing about the earlier wings. I have a few "connections" with low production airplane parts guys too. They mostly hand build stuff though and it's very time consuming and impractical - unless you have a 1-of-4 1930's biplane of course! They tig weld aluminum fairly regularly though if those tabs need welded on.

Didn't mean to hijack. I don't even own a wing car so I can't be buying anything. If I buy a wing I'll have to buy a car to put it on and that can get expensive. I still have that 70 Challenger grill...

Troy

Daytona Guy

I have no easy way to get an extrusion horizontal piece made. My foundry does not do this. I hear they are expensive to make a run. If someone else could do the center piece as an extrusion that would be great, I would rather stick to the uprights.

The 2K would be a finished ready to paint hollow wing, unless of course I end up upside down fanatically with it, then I do not believe it would be worth making.

Hey Hemigeno does your wing have a Chrysler stamping on the inside of your hollow wing? Mine has none; unless I am not looking in the right place. Also, it looks like they drilled out the left side for pin clearance, if so, why?

hemigeno

I wish I could answer some of these questions.  Those wing pictures are ones I had saved some time back.  I did not think that the extruded section was solid all the way through, so it had been my assumption that the voids you see on the end carried through the piece, but I could be wrong.  I never took my wing apart while the car was in my shop, so I don't know much about its internal construction.  I really do think there were some voids in the extrusion though, since the NASCAR boys had to run a safety cable through them - and that would have been a tough thing to drill out.

Troy, I don't have the time to look it up right now, but I think I have some info on the wing itself buried somewhere.  If you really think there's a possibility of getting that extruded piece made up, I can dig through the boxes of material and find that wing section.

Dane, I honestly don't know if there was a part number on the upright.  My guess is that there were not any, but I will try to remember to check for that.  Vance is working on my wing uprights right now (I'll post pictures later), so I know I can see the inside/underneath side next time I'm at his shop.  Also, I didn't think that the area you were pointing to was for a pin - wouldn't that fix the wing in place and keep it from being adjustable?  I'll try and snap some pictures of my wing section to compare, but my guess is that area is just an irregularity in the extrusion.  From what I remember, I thought the only "mounting" for the center wing section was just a single allen-head bolt on each side.

More later...

Daytona Guy

Quote from: hemigeno on February 09, 2007, 09:40:32 AM

Dane, I honestly don't know if there was a part number on the upright.  My guess is that there were not any, but I will try to remember to check for that.  Vance is working on my wing uprights right now (I'll post pictures later), so I know I can see the inside/underneath side next time I'm at his shop.  Also, I didn't think that the area you were pointing to was for a pin - wouldn't that fix the wing in place and keep it from being adjustable?  I'll try and snap some pictures of my wing section to compare, but my guess is that area is just an irregularity in the extrusion.  From what I remember, I thought the only "mounting" for the center wing section was just a single allen-head bolt on each side.

More later...

I must first say, Hemigeno, it is always a pleasure to read your posts. You are so knowledgeable and what you post are well thought through and well written.

It may appear that they notched the dip down part of the wing so that the wing may lay flat after mounting because it was hitting the pin. They had to do some tweaking with things after mounting them on the cars. I also might be full of it too. Ha.

The pattern goes all the way through - that is what extrusion does...

hemigeno

Great sketches there, Dane...

You're absolutely right about the pin thing.  I didn't have time this morning to dig through my pictures, but I had the answer all along in my hard drive.  Here is a picture of my wing upright in the process of being massaged, but you can clearly see the pin. 

Right on the money with your explanation   :thumbs:

Daytona Guy

That is the best way to prep a wing too. The resins in the filler stick well to aluminum, where primer and paint do a poor job of sticking. Nothing sticks well to aluminum so a skimming of filler is your best bet for longevity. Great pics, and am looking forward to see if the uprights have some sort of stamping.

hemigeno

They had some filling to do on those uprights... sheesh...

69_500

So Gene, now the question is? Did you get to go look at the progress on your car this weekend?

Daytona Guy

Sand casting can get impurities in the aluminum. Over time it puffs up and swells where the impurities are. Not sure if that was your case with this wing, but I have seen it on others. The sand casting should be rougher on the inside. They use a different process to make the inner sand pattern hard to retain its shape. Then they have to float it/suspend it. They do not always suspend it evenly so one side of the wing may be thicker than the other in places or most likely toward the top.

Welding in those holes will do wonders. They are doing a thorough job.

These cars are endless when it comes to all the aspects and intricacies of how they were made, not like they just put a wing and nose cone on a Charger.

Arigmaster

Did some of the metal wing come with a safety cable?  Mine is a reproduction and has a cable running through it. So was that just a Nascar thing or did it go into the production cars too at some point?

hemigeno

Danny, I talked to Vance on Thursday, who told me that the chassis was scheduled to be dropped off at his shop that afternoon.  Needless to say, I got all pumped up about going up there this weekend.  Then Vance told me that he was going to be out of town on Saturday, going to look at someone's car    :icon_smile_dead:   With everything going on this month for me personally, I can't make it up there until the first weekend in March.  Put that one on your calendar - I'm gonna find a way to get up there unless something drastic happens.  I'm still waiting for some pics of how the chassis sheet metal looks after sand/media blasting.  Something tells me there's gonna be a whole lot of swiss cheese there, but I'm confident the frame is solid.  We'll see.  Vance promised to load my hard drive up with pictures, so I'll try and post as many of them here as I can.

Dane, what you explained about the rough surface on the inside of the casting is exactly why I don't think they put a part number in the casting.  Besides, there are lots of Daytona-specific parts that do not have a stamped/cast part number on them.  Most of those replacement parts that I have seen used an ink stamp on the part, or the packaging to denote the part number.  I don't remember for certain whether the fender scoops have a moulded part number (I think they do) - but they might be the exception that proves the rule.

Arigmaster, the cable was a NASCAR-only deal, instituted after the #5 Buddy Arrington Daytona lost its wing in a crash.  None of the street cars got the cable treatment, since they were all produced and sitting on dealers' lots by the time that rule was enacted.  Pretty cool that your repro wing did the cable though - is it a fiberglass or metal wing?  Wonder why they did that - a tribute to the race Daytona setup, or were they worried about the wing's structural integrity??   :shruggy:

BigBlockSam

some of the repro fiberglass wings have a cable through it for strengh . Rene