News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can men and women be friends?

Started by yellowcuda, September 04, 2005, 03:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcuda

The thread with the silly movie lines got me thinking about the "when Harry met Sally" line that men and women can never truly be friends because sex always gets in the way.   Just curious on ya'lls opinion.   My two best friends for the past 15 years, since high school are both men.   They have spent the night at my house and me at theirs.   I was a groomsmaid at both of their weddings.   Here is a picture of us from left to right (me, Jon, and Sam) on the right is my step-dad.   The munchkin is mine.

http://www.blueworldstudios.com/TraciAndSam/Formals/source/135.html

I have met some great guys here and have made some great friends.   Funny thing is that Jonathan knew from day one that my friends were guys and is not jealous because he knows who my heart belongs to.   I have had the experience though were the girlfriends or wives of the friends I have made freak out and I can't be friends with them anymore.   This makes me sad, I have lost some very good friends this way.   I miss them. :icon_smile_sad:

Shelley
Loganville, GA
'72 Cuda
69 Charger 426 Hemi (Jonathan's)
69 Charger 540 Blown Hemi (Jonathan's)
68 Charger (was gonna be DC.com car. Now it will be renamed)

Silver R/T

ya sure they can be friends...sometimes friendships grow into something else though
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ChargerSG

Sure, me and my lady even restore cars toghter(even though she has a Mustang ;))...
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Telvis

I personally think it is very difficult for men and women to be just friends. I'm sure there will be many who disagree. I have seen many men and women who were "just friends" and the relationships evolved into something else. I think that it's very natural for firends of the opposite sex to become attracted to each other. Once the firendship begins to grow the sexual attraction becomes stronger. Also a lot of men will qualify almost every woman they meet as to weather they would like them as a sex partner or not. We do it here all the time. Look at chicks and Chargers, chicks at car shows and the other threads. Men almost always look at a woman and think of sex. They might deny it when asked but trust me they do. I even know some men who will become friends with a woman under the guise of a platonic relationship just to try to bed them.

yellowcuda

I can honestly say that when me and my two best friends met we were all attracted to each other in one way or another...after time though the thought of that got weirder and weirder...now they are like family and how gross would it be to sleep with your brother (or sister)!!!

The hardest thing is the women involved.  I have lost more male friends over the women in their lives freaking out and demanding they never speak to me again.  Maybe if they just got to know me too they would see that I am not out after their men.  I have lost friends here from that.

Shelley
Loganville, GA
'72 Cuda

JimShine

My best friend for 14 years was a woman. We went through alot together. There were a couple of times where we almost crossed the line, but she was worried if things went wrong we could never go back to just being friends. She lost a few boyfriends over the years because of our friendship. Maybe 8 years into it she started keeping me a secret. Finally she met a guy who she loved enough to marry, but he had a problem with me being so close to her. I believe he made an ultimatum. They moved away, she married him and she disappeared from my life.

Lowprofile

This is a great subject.   :icon_smile_big:
My wife of 6 years is my best friend. That being said, I have a few good, close friends that happen to be women. My wife tells me that she loves her few close "girlfriends", but she gets along and works much better with Men. I asked her, can you keep your guy friends as "friends" or does something always happen to screw things up? She said its usually the guy that "falls in Love" , thus usually ending the relationship. I know,[back in my younger years, mind you], speaking as a guy, That if given the chance to "Close the Deal", Friend or not, I would. I find that as I grow older[ :'( :icon_smile_angry:] I value my friendships much more than I did as a younger man. Maybe that's the answer...Maturity, or the lack thereof.

My   :Twocents: :blahblah:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

TruckDriver

I have never known a woman that even wanted to be friends. For whatever reason, women have never liked me as just friends or whatever. Maybe it's my adult ADD or because I never liked hunting, camping,fishing, or sports other then auto racing and some football. I don't know. Yes I was married for 10 years. But afterwords she told me right out she never loved me or liked even being around me much. And when I think back, we rarely were ever together doing something. So I know she is not lying to me about it. All my life I never had a woman do anything for me as friends or romantically. At 41, I'm not even sure if I could deal with it if a woman wanted to be my friend :-\ It's been so long since I had any close friends anyway, I feel weird when someone is nice to me now..... no kidding :-[

Sorry about my rant
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

yellowcuda

Dodge charger guy.......you know the wrong women.  You have friends here. ;D

Shelley
Loganville, GA
'72 Cuda

TruckDriver

Quote from: yellowcuda on September 04, 2005, 06:40:02 PM
Dodge charger guy.......you know the wrong women.   You have friends here. ;D

What women........... I don't know any at all other then my ex & my mom ::)

As far as friends here, there are a lot of people here I'd like to meet someday. Guess thats why I am so addicted to this board ;)
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Plumcrazy

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

HalfastAMX

Quote from: yellowcuda on September 04, 2005, 03:16:43 PM
  I have had the experience though were the girlfriends or wives of the friends I have made freak out and I can't be friends with them anymore.   This makes me sad, I have lost some very good friends this way.   I miss them. :icon_smile_sad:
I miss them too.........

NHCharger

It's definitely possible. I had many female friends when I was a teenager and early twenty's. However when they start discussing their problems like a urinary tract infection it was time to leave. Some of their boyfriends couldn't handle a friendship only thing and most of the friendships eventually faded away.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Old Moparz

Friends? Possibly. Close friends? That's got to be as rare as unrestored, genuine, Hemi ragtops. I can honestly say I could never be "really close" without some other thoughts entering the relationship. (So far anyway.) I can say that based on a couple of relationships I had before I was married. I think Telvis summed it up pretty accurately. For me, my wife is also my friend, & I'd have to say my closest friend.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Doc74

My best friend for about 15 or so years now is a very beautiful unique woman, we got close in the very beginning but never again because we both knew it was wrong.
This friendship is thicker than blood and her bf for 7 years is one of my best friends.So yes, men and women can be friends.

MoparYoungGun

I think Telvis pretty much summed it up :yesnod: .

That being said, I have had close female friends in the past that have remained just friends.

So to answer your question, yes, men and women can just be friends.

Duey

Quote from: Lowprofile on September 04, 2005, 06:01:32 PM
This is a great subject.   :icon_smile_big:
My wife of 6 years is my best friend. That being said, I have a few good, close friends that happen to be women. My wife tells me that she loves her few close "girlfriends", but she gets along and works much better with Men. I asked her, can you keep your guy friends as "friends" or does something always happen to screw things up? She said its usually the guy that "falls in Love" , thus usually ending the relationship. I know,[back in my younger years, mind you], speaking as a guy, That if given the chance to "Close the Deal", Friend or not, I would. I find that as I grow older[ :'( :icon_smile_angry:] I value my friendships much more than I did as a younger man. Maybe that's the answer...Maturity, or the lack thereof.

My   :Twocents: :blahblah:

"Grasshopper, when you become as wise as The Clown, it will be time for you to leave the temple..." 

Lowprofile hit the nail on the head...as (most) guys get older, I think we start to appreciate relationships more.  My wife has a really close male friend and that doesn't bother me at all....although I joke to him that it's because he's more like a chick than a guy (likes to shop for things other than power tools and car parts) ;D 

...one more cent to add to Lowprofile's 1 ¢...

Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

Blusmbl

One of my best friends is a woman, and has been for years.   It's definitely possible.  Difficult, but possible.... chances are one or both parties involved will develop feelings for the other over time....   only because as a whole we're primitive creatures and some things (like sexual attaction) are inevitable.
Caintmakit Racing: Craptastic!
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram
-looking for another '68-'69 Charger

emily

I've never had a close friendship with a woman.   I do have female acquaintances that I enjoy doing things with from time to time, but I can't say that I can call them actual friends.   My closest and most enduring friendships have always been with men.

But people do come into our lives for a while, and leave on their own path.   I don't mourn any loss of past friendships, instead I remember them as good experiences in my life.   I don't miss them, I will always have our good times together right inside me.  

Everything in the universe is temporary, so friendships are just the same to me.   We come together for a while and grow and move on.   Our lives took us in different directions, so I'm happy for the time I've had with friends and I wish them the best, always.     :   )

bluesfool

I absolutely believe men and women can be friends, and great friends at that. Of course developing that relationship takes extra time, because like you have already mentioned, you have to reach that "eww gross...she's like my sister/he's like my brother" stage. A male/female friendship (without ANY sort of romance) is rare, but entirely possible. You should consider yourself lucky that, not only do you have some close friends, but your husband isn't jealous of it! During my first marriage, my wife was EXTREMELY jealous and I lost some close female friends because of it. True friends are hard to come by...why try to limit them to one sex?

Arthu®

I think it could be just that, but I don't think that both will never ever think of it in a different way. I mean how it would be like. That is probably what makes us human.

Sometimes it is just too bad that those feelings take over and ruin the whole friendship, because let's all agree once you have gone there. It will never be the same. Can't say I really have had that kind of relationship with a girl though. Some way it always get off course. But well maybe because I am still young.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

Mefirst

Maby these two can help to solve the question -Can men and women be good friends ??? or maby this is something for the "Junior" Mythbusters to solve...

Well jokes aside.. I do think that men and women can be good friends.. But I also think it takes some effort from both parts to stay just "friends" It is still a complexed situation and like already stated its not easy.. Deeper feelings can surface from even the smallest things towards another..

But I think the most important thing is still to have friends.. Some friendships last only for a while, then you go on on different paths, but some friends are for ever and those friends are the most important...

/Tom

DarkAngel0816

As a female here...I am friends with a lot of males...one of them having been in my life for 10 years...just as a platonic friend. I think if you do it right you can be friends with the opposite sex.  I have always hung out with the guys even as a child...

:)
I love my 1970 Dodge Charger R/T Clone