News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MPH TOP SPEED, HOW FAST HAVE YOU GONE (ON LAND)?

Started by skip68, February 13, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

Back in the old days, at 18 in the charger r/t, weekend before leaving for college.  Drove the car to approximately 130-135, speedo started whacking out bouncing from 130 to 150.  Seemed to work fine at up to 125 but over that it just wavered in a 20mph zone.  Probably drove the charger to 125 a couple dozen times, most races however were done by 100. 

Mazda RX2 (rotary) sedan-130
Mazda RX4 (rotary) wagon- 118, engine wanted to go faster, shoebox shape was a brick.

Had my 82 mustang glx gt 5.0 (totally stock) to 135mph.  on a wyoming interstate ...nothing to hit but tumbleweeds. 

2 weeks after buying my 91 stealth r/t turbo, totally stock, letting my dad drive it, took it 20 miles out of town (pensacola FL) into the boonies, on the way out we scouted for cops, on the way back we took it to 165mph and still had 1000rpm to go on I-10.  Had to slow down because we had to pass a truck, passed at about 100.  Since that time, never took it over 130.  Car was steady as a rock, and glued to the road, felt like we were driving 80 except for the tunnel vision.  After we got back into town driving normally and responsibly, he got pulled over for making an illegal uturn (right in front of the cops) they let him off with a warning.  Next day I got a ticket for doing 33 in a 30 zone, so low that cop listed it as exceeding posted limit only, still cost me 120.00.  Cop told me, you can afford the car, you can afford the ticket.  The cops even knew me and the charger from my high school days...but no warnings in that county. 

I've owned my 04 svt cobra now for a little over a year and the fastest its gone is 110.  I'm just not into high speed like i used to be when younger.  You can't do it safely anywhere near the city limits, and i'm not into going fast around other traffic.  In-laws are cops (2 generations) and would generally tell you where to go if you wanted to go fast, didn't really care as long as you were out away from everyone else.  When caught speeding, I graciously take the ticket, and pay the fine, and only try to explain my way out if I really wasn't doing anything wrong at the time.  As hard to believe as it is, its been 8 years since my last speeding violation, 6 years since my last ticket-which was just a seat belt violation. 

I know that many of the car forum sites frown on speeding/racing on the street.  Some of us just don't believe in taking cars to the track just to go 100 occasionally. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

REDNECK

well i had my speed boat up to 80mph but i slowed down because it about blew of the trailer :icon_smile_big:
oh 100 in a Z71 4X4

73chgrSE

I exceeded 150 on several occasions in my first charger (r.i.p.) Once, some of my friends didn't believe me so I did 150+ with 5 people in the car. Never quite smelled the same after that.

Paul G

136 in the 96 Corvette. Had plenty of peddle left, my wife woke up.

130 in the 73 Charger, my exit came up.

Only about 120 on this V-Max I used to have. The bike had way more power than I had nuts for. That bike was a monster!

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

HITMAN 149

hey paul...
nice charger....
yea a friend of mine when we were in the corps had a V-MAX!!!!! damn that bike was friggin fast!!!!!!!! :o
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

diego-ted

Diego

American Steel, Mopars and Hogs You gotta love it.
http://www.freewebs.com/diego_tedsamericansteel

daytonalo

SORRY . 155 ON WATER , 45 SKATER , TWIN 1400"S

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

THE CHARGER PUNK

i stuck the needle past 150 on my dads 68 :yesnod: it has roughly 610hp give or take u do the math :icon_smile_big:

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: Paul G on March 01, 2007, 04:55:17 PM
136 in the 96 Corvette. Had plenty of peddle left, my wife woke up.

130 in the 73 Charger, my exit came up.

Only about 120 on this V-Max I used to have. The bike had way more power than I had nuts for. That bike was a monster!

V-Max is a bad ass bike.
100 on a 81' Yamaha Seca 750, that bike was not even close to red line, believe it or not. That old in line 4 can rev.
My 04' Honda CRF 450 does not have a speedo but I was 4th gear pinned hiting a gap in the  dunes. :yesnod:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

8WHEELER

UMMMM, this is for all of the younger people out there, that should learn from our mistakes '' we didn't inhale either''  :drive:

SPEEDING   :ahum: :ahum:  NO COMMENT

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Bandit4142

Over 10 years ago I had a "built" V-Max that I pegged the speedo at 155.   

In 2004 I built a 3000GT VR4 to run the "Silver State National" and that vehicle I ran to 195mph before she simply ran out of power.

In 2005 I hit a cow Elk cruising around 95mph, which seemed to rattle my cage al little bit, besides tearing the VR4 up pretty well.   That accident has slowed me down some.    :angel:    Oh, and my wife would friggin' kill me if I ever get busted haulin' ass like that again. 
1969 Charger - 383 mag auto - Sold and sorely missed.
1970 Charger R/T - 440 mag - sold
1969 Super Bee - 383 mag auto - sold
1969 Cornet R/T - 383 mag 4 spd - sold

shawnmd

I drove a 650HP Nascar at LasVegas speedway (R.Petty Driving School) last summer.  It hit 123 mph.  That was awesome.  Well worth the $300 for 8 laps.

RallyeMike

In the 72, 162 on radar, around 166 max. Though it has been calibrated, it still kinda hard to tell exactly on a 150 speedo.

Better than just a quick burst, I have run 135mph average speed over a 130 miles  :D
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

68chrgrwife

I did 120 on the NJ Parkway in my 1995 Dodge NEON!!!!!!  Damn it was a rush...was doing over a hundred in the challenger down I-5, but hubby yelled at me and told me to slow the F**K down...bummer...we were on our way back from fall fling in Van Nuys...was just cruising it felt like....LOL
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

HITMAN 149

Quote from: 68chrgrwife on March 03, 2007, 02:03:58 PM
I did 120 on the NJ Parkway in my 1995 Dodge NEON!!!!!!  Damn it was a rush...was doing over a hundred in the challenger down I-5, but hubby yelled at me and told me to slow the F**K down...bummer...we were on our way back from fall fling in Van Nuys...was just cruising it felt like....LOL

well wifey....
as a member of NJ's law :police: enforcement...i'm gonna have to issue you some summonses young lady!!!!! hehehe ( i would normally say... but we might be able to work something out!!! but....i respect hubby!!!)  :icon_smile_wink:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

68chrgrwife

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on March 03, 2007, 02:18:55 PM
Quote from: 68chrgrwife on March 03, 2007, 02:03:58 PM

well wifey....
as a member of NJ's law :police: enforcement...i'm gonna have to issue you some summonses young lady!!!!! hehehe ( i would normally say... but we might be able to work something out!!! but....i respect hubby!!!)  :icon_smile_wink:

hey i was an intern in NJ PD--i wanna be a copper when i grow up!!! LOL  I guess that's why I got my licence taken away for 6 months....got caght speeding too many times...too bad noo one knows how much i was always speeding---
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

HITMAN 149

where in NJ?? what department?? i work in hoboken. :icon_smile_cool: shhhhhhhh
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

68chrgrwife

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on March 03, 2007, 02:52:25 PM
where in NJ?? what department?? i work in hoboken. :icon_smile_cool: shhhhhhhh

Middletown drug and Holmdel PD (in monmouth county)  I was born and raised in NJ  lived there till i was 22.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

HITMAN 149

:o OMG!!! hahahaha i live in union beach!!! i went to middletown north, grad. 89'....small world!!!! hot $hit!!!!  :icon_smile_big:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

68chrgrwife

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on March 03, 2007, 03:02:28 PM
:o OMG!!! hahahaha i live in union beach!!! i went to middletown north, grad. 89'....small world!!!! hot $hit!!!!  :icon_smile_big:

that is so cool.  Union Beach huh...that's cool.  I am from Aberdeen.  lived in Keyport for a little while
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

gunner

well first i went about 130 in a gt3000
last month my roomate and i were clocked at 150 in a 86 mustang gt we can now problby getit to 160 but it seems to me every time i got excessivily fast i half to ditch the car at rest stops so  i dont do it much any more but in this case a comaro z28 pulled up on i5 with no trafic  and took off it pulled about 3 cars till we hit 4th gear and we pasted him like he was sitting still then just so happens we looked in the rearview window and saw a cop about 1\2 mile back coming to get us so we pulled in a rest stop and just left the car for the night havent done that in a long time a race is not worth ones life i am going to keep it to the track or try to keep it on the track i dont know whats going to happen when i  get my new 360 into my dart tho.
Ben

BATMAN

132 in my mustang cobra with the top down.  It had plenty of throttle left and was only in 4th gear.  The only problem is I know that car is computer governed at 152, gotta get that off then get it out on a race track to see what it can really do.  I don't think it is worth it to go way to fast on the streets anymore as there are too many crazy people out there doing stupid things, don't want to mess my cars up.  I'd rather be on a race track with no other cars, if there is going to be other cars at least they would know what they are doing if they are on the track.

bull

710 mph. Oh wait, you said on land. Ok, about 130 in my 'ol '70 Charger.

73chgrSE

I did 110 today just so I could test it out. Not bad considering I havn't really taken her out in almost 10 years. I went through it first to make sure it was safe ofcourse. You gotta have brakes right?