News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 Tranny fluid leak at shifter shaft.

Started by mamatried01, February 18, 2007, 10:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamatried01

Been trying to track down a fluid leak in my tranny and finally narrowed it down I believe to the shaft that comes up out of the tranny that the shifter lever slides down over.  Is there a seal for this and how do I replace it? Thanks.

RD

Quote from: mamatried01 on February 18, 2007, 10:40:57 PM
Been trying to track down a fluid leak in my tranny and finally narrowed it down I believe to the shaft that comes up out of the tranny that the shifter lever slides down over.  Is there a seal for this and how do I replace it? Thanks.

there is a seal to be replaced.  you have to remove your trans pan, drop the valve body, and use a flathead screwdriver and hammer and knock it out.  the trick part is doing this while the trans is still mounted.  putting the seal back in is somewhat of a pain with the trans mounted.  I would use a flat piece of metal and a hammer to tap the seal back into place.  if the trans was outside of the car, then a socket would be ideal to press the seal into place, but using a socket with the trans mounted may not allow you the necessary room.

once the seal is emplaced, use some bearing grease or vaseline and lube the seal prior to placing the valve body back into the transmission.

if you have not worked on a transmission before then all of this may seem somewhat overwhelming, but it can be easily overcome with patience and questions.  feel free to pm me if necessary.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

dave571

As described, drop the VB, and push out the seal.

BUT  I have found that using a bolt, or some threaded rod with washers, and nut, will install the seal really nicely,

Just use the hardware  it to pull the seal in from the top.

tecmopar

STOP!! There is a tool called a seal puller for this that makes it a 15 min. job, it removes the seal from the top. Its not worth buying one but Any good tranny shop will have it and shouldn't charge you much to do it, good luck.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: tecmopar on February 19, 2007, 03:53:08 AM
STOP!! There is a tool called a seal puller for this that makes it a 15 min. job, it removes the seal from the top. Its not worth buying one but Any good tranny shop will have it and shouldn't charge you much to do it, good luck.

:iagree:   There is a cheap tool for this (I believe Lisle makes it)  and I have used it on my car.  It made it easier to take out the trans crossmember to lower the trans a bit.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

squeakfinder

Shifter shaft selector seal. You can get one from your local parts store for under a dollar. Buy two, just in case you screw up the first one.

You'll need to remove your shifter and kick down linkage from the shaft.

I managed to dig my old one out with a screwdriver. But you want to be careful not to gouge the surface of the hole the seal goes into.

I used a deep socket and a valve spring compressor to install the new seal. And yes, it is a PITA to do.                                     

I have seen a tool on feebay that is specific for this task. Sorry I don't remember the name of it.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

tecmopar

Damn, I think I paid about 60.00 bucks for mine 25+ years ago, but it sure helped out aa lot of friends and made me a few bucks too over the years, good luck.