News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

426 MAX WEDGE. 4 bolts or 6 bolts on valve cover

Started by ACUDANUT, February 15, 2007, 07:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

I have a 1963 426 engine that I was told was a Max Wedge.  Others say no, Max Wedges have only 4 Bolts on the Valve Covers.  I have been in this Hobby for 25 plus years, and I have seen both (I think).  Trouble is, I really don't know. :rotz:

is_it_EVER_done?

AFAIK, all Max wedges had four bolts ( I've owned three max wedge cars). The head casting numbers will tell you for sure what you have though, so post them and you will be able to find out exactly what you have.

Edit - I just re-read your post. No 426's in 63 AFAIK, only 413's. 426 wedge and max wedge were a 64 offering.

histoy

The 413 Max Wedge built in '62 and the 426 Max Wedge built in '63 had 4 bolt valve covers.   The '64 426 Max Wedge had 6 bolt valve covers.   

defiance

John_Kunkel

Actually, the Stage II 426 Max Wedge which was introduced late in the '63 model year had 6-bolt VC's; most of the BB's changed to the 6-bolt cover at the same time.

There's more to identifying a Max Wedge than valve covers, most so-called 426 Max Wedges are merely 426 Street Wedges.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

histoy

Whether the Max Wedge heads have 4 bolt or 6 bolt valve covers, they share 2 things in common that differentiates them from the stock '62 - '64 heads.  #1 - there is no heat cross over passage built into the head #2 - the ports are 25% larger than the stock heads used at the time.   

Here are the Max Wedge head casting numbers for the 3 years:

1962 - 2402 286
1963 - 2406 209
1964 - 2406 518

ACUDANUT

Okay, try this on for size.  The engine was built in 1963 and put into a 64 car.  Also, the engine is 44 years old, and a different set of heads went on.  It's Damn cold here in the midwest, when it gets warmer I will get the block numbers for you guys.  Thanks for the imput.

histoy

Check the stamping on the machined surface of the block to determine if it's a Max Wedge engine.  The '63 and '64 should be stamped the same. 

426 TMP = 11:1 comp ratio
426 TMP-HC = 13.5:1 comp ratio

These engines have a relief milled into the top of each cylinder for valve clearance with the Max Wedge heads.  If the numbers read only 426, then it's a street wedge block.   These can be relieved for the valve clearance as well.       

John_Kunkel

"T" is the year code for '63, "V" is the year code for '64, so the '64 engine would be stamped VMP.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ACUDANUT