News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 Daytona on E Bay (purple one from Kansas)

Started by johntpr, February 17, 2007, 07:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johntpr

**Inactive Link Removed**

The car that never was ...........

Beep Beep Dave

Whatever it is I love it! I wondered what had become of that car. Not stirring the pot but it seems like it would be a dealer conversion. Optioned perfectly, I am not a big fan of purple but I'd make the exception for that car!!!
Whatcha figure it will bring? And what do ya figure they want for it? Last price I remember seeing mentioned was $250k ???

Dave 
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

Ghoste

You have to admit one thing, whether it sells or not, even with the factory original thing being debunked, this car is still capable of generating interest.  There are a lot of threads going on about it.

daytonalo

Big deal , Its a 70 that a dealer or first owner threw a wing on , it still does not have a plug and in my view no matter how you look at it , its still a clone !!!!!!!!!!!! Notice the receiver strip for latch tray , its bolted in , not welded . Why is this car worth 100 k and when I asked how much a daytona clone would be worth with a hemi and a plug , most said it would not be worth 100k ??????????

Ghoste

The publicity I suppose?  I'm only guessing though Larry.  The car is infamous, you have to agree with that.
Of course, is the car worth 100K?  It hasn't sold yet has it?

daytonalo

I e-mailed bill at top shelf and he said thank god the public doesn't know as much as we all do !!!!!!!!!!!!!! He said it will only take one uninformed buyer to spend all the money !!!!!!!!

69_500

There is a huge difference in this car, and say any clone that anyone builds today. There is always going to be an argument over who made this car, and when. I was hoping Doug would chime in here, but if I'm not mistaken this car was for sale in the DSAC newsletter back in the late 70's for something like $7,000.

Top_Shelf_reps

Quote from: daytonalo on February 17, 2007, 11:25:27 AM
I e-mailed bill at top shelf and he said thank god the public doesn't know as much as we all do !!!!!!!!!!!!!! He said it will only take one uninformed buyer to spend all the money !!!!!!!!

daytonalo, Would you like for me to post the responce that I sent to you and not the BS lie that you posted? OK, I will! I said to you in the email..................You all can say what you want............We know what we have and all we need is one buyer not all you ALL KNOWING (Mopar experts) Have a great day and thanks for the email.
Where did I say I only neen one uninformed buyer ?? All I said was one buyer who is not all you bashers that wish you could own this car. Again, HAVE A GREAT DAY

Daytona R/T SE

I love this car. If the ol' lady didn't insist on living in a house I'd be bidding on it. The car creates a stir whenever it's mentioned. The debate will never be settled. That's the big draw to this car,the controversy. I think it's great and it will bring $200K easily.

daytonalo

Real 440 Daytona's built at creative with plug might bring 200 , not this car that back in the day someone threw a wing and nose on !!!!!!!!! As far as I'm concerned its a 70 R/T -half complete daytona clone [ no plug ] !!!!!!!!! I think we all know the truth , read MCG , they finally set the record straight. Bottom line is any half-way knowledgeable mopar expert knows its not real . Where is wing-cars when you need him ?

daytonalo

If you call bashing a car that never was built at in 70 at creative , and then trying to sell it as an authentic daytona , you deserve to go to jail for fraud !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't insult all of us . Thank you

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: daytonalo on February 17, 2007, 02:00:06 PM
Real 440 Daytona's built at creative with plug might bring 200 , not this car that back in the day someone threw a wing and nose on !!!!!!!!! As far as I'm concerned its a 70 R/T -half complete daytona clone [ no plug ] !!!!!!!!! I think we all know the truth , read MCG , they finally set the record straight. Bottom line is any half-way knowledgeable mopar expert knows its not real . Where is wing-cars when you need him ?

Real or not? I really don't care.  To me the car will bring big bucks BECAUSE of the controversy associated with it. Someone will pony up the bucks to have such an oddity. There were 503 "Real" Daytonas built, but only one purple, six pack four speed creation like this.  Factory? No.  Dealer conversion? Most likely.  Done back in the day and I'd love to own it? DEFINITELY  :icon_smile_big:

Tell you what, Larry-if it doesn't bring $200K I'll owe you a beer :cheers:

daytonalo

You are out of your mind , 200k !!!!!!!!!!!!! Just like the guy who paid 100 k for the other purple one and now cant get 35000 for , same shit

Daytona Guy

I have known about this car for almost 30 years. It is well documented. I read an old Winged Warrior newsletter that talking about this car back in the 70's. This car is much more that just a clone and it may be a clone depending upon your definition. When you have a custom dealer installed with factory optioned parts you have something that you or I can not do today. This car cannot be done today. We cannot get factory parts from Chrysler today. This car is optioned up the gazoo.

The rear window is not the issue with this car because this car is not sold for homologation. There was a White Daytona with red wing made with a glass nose and no rear window plug that if found today would bring untold thousands. This 70 RT SE purple Daytona was for one wealthy guy that wanted a bran new RT SE Charger with the Daytona option. All of these parts were dealer options. Anyone could have pulled in to your local Dodge dealer and ordered every part for the Daytona. Money talks and someone had the money and the vision to have this car made. Yes it is not a factory made 70 Daytona, but it is the next step down from that and it is not a garage conversion with custom made parts that I use and make. This car is fascinating and we aught to embrace this car as a part of Chrysler history. 

My two cents 

dads_69

The car is what it is. If there is one thing I've learned about debates like so, none of us are going to buy the car, but bickering about it makes us feel better I guess, or used to anyways. I myself would put it back to stock forum and either install the parts on another charger to clone or sell them, depending on my finances at that time. I can't wait to see what price category our cars will be in five years from now including clones.
I can see this thread getting locked.  :Twocents:
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Daytona R/T SE

dads_69

I wanted to ask also, I remember an actor owning a car like so, my dad and I met him when I was a teenager, Robert Goulet I know he owned a purple Daytona, just not sure if this is the car or not. Anyone ?
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

daytonalo

Alright , I have a great idea , 10 dollars a head , guess the selling price and the person who comes closest without going over wins , we simply send him a check ???????????

62 Max

You buy a new 70 Charger RT/SE.Have the dealer install a nose and wing.What do you have ? I would think you would have the forementioned 70 Charger RT/SE with a nose and a wing. ::)

This  :horse: will go on forever!

Beep Beep Dave

Thats what I figured it was worth myself....$200k.
Its one of my favourite Mopars of all time...I'd love to  see it in person one day, even better would be to take it out for a cruise!!!
Hey why no present day pics of the car? The pics in the auction are at least a few years old?
What ever became of Jerry, does he still have any other Mopars left?

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

62 Max

Quote from: Beep Beep Dave on February 17, 2007, 03:33:28 PM
Thats what I figured it was worth myself....$200k.
Its one of my favourite Mopars of all time...I'd love to  see it in person one day, even better would be to take it out for a cruise!!!
Hey why no present day pics of the car? The pics in the auction are at least a few years old?
What ever became of Jerry, does he still have any other Mopars left?

Dave

Dave,if you ever get this way again you can have a bird for the day.Will that help ? ;)

Troy

Quote from: daytonalo on February 17, 2007, 03:05:39 PM
Alright , I have a great idea , 10 dollars a head , guess the selling price and the person who comes closest without going over wins , we simply send him a check ???????????
My guess is that it won't meet reserve (like the last however many times it was for sale). I think it's a neat car and certainly has a unique history - hey, it might even be good for reference! I personally wouldn't buy it but I doubt that I'll ever buy a real R/T either since I drive too much. Is is really worth calling someone a fraud when this car is probably more documented then many of the "real" ones?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

dkn1997

I am not the expert that you guys are, but the "legitness" of this car would seem to be proportional to the importance you place on where wing car parts were added to chargers.  What's better to you, A car that had the conversion minus the plug  put on at a dealer or one with  parts put on at creative? 
It might also depend if you think it's important to have a car with a vin # that denotes that the corporation intended from the earliest stages for it to be shipped out to be a daytona.

How have other questions been answered similar to this?  like when someone wanted A/C put in, but it got ordered wrong or they did not want to wait for a car to be built and the dealer installed it.  Is it still a factory A/C car?  I don't know, that's for the real wing guys to debate. 
RECHRGED

tan top

i'm guessing you guys have seen this  before , but i thought this would be of intrest posting this  here...  :popcrn:

http://wwnboa.org/70csed.htm
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html