News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 Daytona on E Bay (purple one from Kansas)

Started by johntpr, February 17, 2007, 07:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beep Beep Dave

Quote from: 62 Max on February 17, 2007, 03:39:37 PM
Quote from: Beep Beep Dave on February 17, 2007, 03:33:28 PM
Thats what I figured it was worth myself....$200k.
Its one of my favourite Mopars of all time...I'd love to  see it in person one day, even better would be to take it out for a cruise!!!
Hey why no present day pics of the car? The pics in the auction are at least a few years old?
What ever became of Jerry, does he still have any other Mopars left?

Dave

Dave,if you ever get this way again you can have a bird for the day.Will that help ? ;)

That might work...a whole summer would be better ;)

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

Chad L. Magee

Jerry's museum is now long gone, with a Golden Correl sitting where it was.  He has since sold off the Duster 1 concept car and I think he finally sold the Fireball 500 barracuda that he used to have in there.  The last time I visited with him (in 1999, if I remember right), he was selling off his collection of parts cars (very cheap I may add  ;D) that he had around back.  I asked him if he was going to sell the purple 70 Daytona and he replied "not for a long time".  I have wandered many times where some of the lesser cars ended up going to.  There was a 1970 (or possibly 1971) GTO Convertible 455 Ram air IV towards the back, but he was just storing it for a local collector (that one is one of six if I remember reading the message board nearby).  Jerry had a particular triple black 1970 Charger RT (can't remember if it was an SE) that I was drooling over, but he sold that one rather quickly.  I told him that if he does not sell the car in ten years (hey I have to finish my college studies first before I can earn the $), I will be looking him up to buy it................. 
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

charge-it

Quote from: Daytona Guy on February 17, 2007, 02:57:18 PM
I have known about this car for almost 30 years. It is well documented. I read an old Winged Warrior newsletter that talking about this car back in the 70's. This car is much more that just a clone and it may be a clone depending upon your definition. When you have a custom dealer installed with factory optioned parts you have something that you or I can not do today. This car cannot be done today. We cannot get factory parts from Chrysler today. This car is optioned up the gazoo.

The rear window is not the issue with this car because this car is not sold for homologation. There was a White Daytona with red wing made with a glass nose and no rear window plug that if found today would bring untold thousands. This 70 RT SE purple Daytona was for one wealthy guy that wanted a bran new RT SE Charger with the Daytona option. All of these parts were dealer options. Anyone could have pulled in to your local Dodge dealer and ordered every part for the Daytona. Money talks and someone had the money and the vision to have this car made. Yes it is not a factory made 70 Daytona, but it is the next step down from that and it is not a garage conversion with custom made parts that I use and make. This car is fascinating and we aught to embrace this car as a part of Chrysler history. 

My two cents 

Bottom line, it still isn`t and will never be a Daytona.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

charge-it

Its one of my favourite Mopars of all time...I'd love to  see it in person one day, even better would be to take it out for a cruise!!!
Hey why no present day pics of the car? The pics in the auction are at least a few years old?

Dave
200K :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Visit our new website:

Beep Beep Dave

Quote from: charge-it on February 17, 2007, 08:02:28 PM

Dave

Whatcha figure then?
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

charge-it

Quote from: Beep Beep Dave on February 17, 2007, 08:11:16 PM
Quote from: charge-it on February 17, 2007, 08:02:28 PM

Dave

Whatcha figure then?
More than that, it`s purple!
Visit our new website:

69_500

I will say this again. The car has been long configured in its current condition. As a matter of fact, I believe it was done this way before the origional owner even picked up the car. It is what it is. Its not a factory daytona by definition, then again none of the Daytona's or 500's are factory. They were all converted at Creative. So what is the difference of Creative doing a Daytona in 1969 or a Dealership doing it in 1970? Its not like the other Daytona's. That is correct. Is it unique? YES. Is it a legit car? YES. Would it be worth more than any clone ever built? YES YES YES YES YES

daytonalo

It simply is half a Daytona , no plug  and wrong Vin . I think whoever buys it is clueless !!!!!!!!

barnfindcuda

i agree, no matter how you slice it, when it was done at creative it became and aftermarket conversion, by defenition, creative would be the only people to make legit datonas, however, it also had to go to asc for sunroof, now, i personally have very good inside ties with asc , but, that company has changed structure in the 21 years i have been affiliated with them, there are some people within the corp that have been there along time but i dont think since 1969, just for giggles though, next week i will call and see if any of the people i know there can point me in the right direction, maybe, just maybe someone might remember this car, i cannot believe that all the people affiliated with this car, sales people, dealership, fabricators and/or friends of these people, that we cant figure this one out!, i still like it and the mystery around it is its value,

barnfindcuda

barnfindcuda

remember every year things change on cars,maybe this would have been 1970's version of the daytona, and how do you know the vin is wrong if it was going to be a 1970 version, maybe i am cluless, i like the mystery! lol, remember 6 pack cars in 1970 didnt have lift off hoods! like i said, this may have been a preproduction car, or just someone with money was able to have it assembled with factory approval!, we may never know,   

daytonalo

barnfindcuda

agreed!  unless ya got money to throw away, and that aint me!

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on February 17, 2007, 09:03:04 PM
I will say this again. The car has been long configured in its current condition. As a matter of fact, I believe it was done this way before the origional owner even picked up the car. It is what it is. Its not a factory daytona by definition, then again none of the Daytona's or 500's are factory. They were all converted at Creative. So what is the difference of Creative doing a Daytona in 1969 or a Dealership doing it in 1970? Its not like the other Daytona's. That is correct. Is it unique? YES. Is it a legit car? YES. Would it be worth more than any clone ever built? YES YES YES YES YES

While I agree that Jerry's car will be worth way more than probably any other clone ever built, the distinction between this car and an "original" Daytona is the fact that the '69s were factory-sanctioned even if they weren't completely factory-built.  Creative did all their work at the behest of MaMopar - whereas the work on this purple car was done upon the instructions of a dealer and/or proud '70 Charger R/T owner.  THAT is the difference which can never be erased.  And for that reason, I would never use the term "legit" in connection with this particular car.

Think about it...  Dealer-added options are NEVER given the same importance as options intended to be on the car as indexed by the Broadcast Sheet.  Sales Code A11 (the C500 and Daytona aero packages) was noted on the Broadcast sheet, which legitimizes the Creative Industries conversion.  Jerry's car, while irreplaceable in the sense that no other '70 Charger R/Ts can be equipped that way on Day Two, was still modified after Chrysler was done equipping the car. 

Any dealership could add a six-pack to a 440 Imperial, but that doesn't mean that it suddenly becomes a one-of-one car now, would it?

I agree, that with all the controversy and notoriety surrounding this car, it's probably more "rare" than most '69 Daytonas - and in this instance that rarity will probably bring quite a premium over what would otherwise be a highly-optioned 4-speed '70 R/T.  To me, it is just a unique (equipped as a Daytona Clone almost since it was new), famous (due to its notoriety as a "possible" 1970 Daytona) clone

I'm glad the consigning seller weighed in to set the record straight about some things, since Larry did make a major leap in logic from what their response actually was.  That doesn't mean that I agree with the verbage in the ads, since I do not agree with their assessments and conclusions.  Most of the people who know much at all about the Daytonas already know the score on this subject, so I honestly think their statements and claims tend to hurt their chances of a high-dollar sale.  Don't get me wrong, I think its and awesome car, and it is significant to the Daytona's legacy/history in that I see it as concrete evidence disproving its factory connection.

I just do not think that this car will bring more than $175k (and I really question the logic behind someone paying that much).  After all, for a few more $$ than that you could probably get a pretty nicely equipped original Daytona.  Unless someone REALLY wants to have a car that is followed by controversy, why pay more for it than what an original car would cost?

That's my unbiased, unsolicited, un-adulterated, worth what you're paying for it, comments...

Geno

barnfindcuda

dkn1997

debate aside, I think those door scoops look absolutely killer with the nose/wing/fender scoops.  If I was ever to do a clone/tribute car, it would have those no doubt!!
RECHRGED

daytonalo

In case you haven't noticed , the bottom fell out of mopars big time . I think 75 is too much for a r/t

69CoronetRT

Quote from: hemigeno on February 17, 2007, 10:07:17 PM

While I agree that Jerry's car will be worth way more than probably any other clone ever built...

I agree, that with all the controversy and notoriety surrounding this car, it's probably more "rare" than most '69 Daytonas - and in this instance that rarity will probably bring quite a premium over what would otherwise be a highly-optioned 4-speed '70 R/T.  To me, it is just a unique (equipped as a Daytona Clone almost since it was new), famous (due to its notoriety as a "possible" 1970 Daytona) clone

Unless someone REALLY wants to have a car that is followed by controversy, why pay more for it than what an original car would cost?

Good assessment. In this instance..you are paying more for the 'sizzle' than the 'steak'. Anyone that buys this car wants the noteriety and controversy that comes with it. People love side shows.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

65post

#1  Its a real R/T - SE #2 - its purple #3 - its loaded #4 It had a real Daytona nose and wing added when new.You can say that it has been in this configuration almost from day 1 #5 Its never had any damage or rust issues ? #6 Is it a real daytona ? No. #7 Should it be put back to a stock charger? No.I think this one should stay as it is today.Just for what it is. #8 Should it bring more money than a modern day clone? Yes. #10 If I had money to burn would I pay crazy money for it? In a heartbeat! Thats my 2 cents.
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

Chris G.

Quote from: 65post on February 18, 2007, 02:29:54 AM
#1  Its a real R/T - SE #2 - its purple #3 - its loaded

It's not as "loaded" as some think. I believe the sunroof was added, and as far as options other than the SE package, it's got hood pins and a tach...that's really all it has. Don't forget, FC7 purple was the most popular color in 1970.

I think Geno said it best in his post.  :thumbs:

nascarxx29

That Dr David Jackson car from Bethesda MD.That Jerry bought in the 80-s .That Parson dodge assembled .Has been denied as a real daytona .Buy many mopar authorities.But still is a nice FC7 V code charger.Same car as my friends except for the sunroof

http://wwnboa.org/70csed.htm
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Arigmaster

Quote from: 69_500 on February 17, 2007, 09:03:04 PM

:iagree:

daytonalo

Dave , What do you think its worth ?????????// No where near 200k

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

wingfan

Is this a dealer conversion with original parts or was it done by Chrysler at the factory?  That's the key.  The seller on ebay implies that it was built at the factory as a special order and the Winged Warrior story says that too.  We need witnesses or documentation to settle which story is true.  It's a special car either way, but would mean much more if it were a factory replica.  If not factory, then it's still the king of clones. 

It's now at around $76k but probably won't meet reserve.  I think a fair price is around $100k.  I doubt that the Mopar market is falling for honestly presented cars with original drive trains.  There's a lot of scams and dishonesty going on with the wing cars.  Maybe buyers are getting smarter.