News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 Daytona on E Bay (purple one from Kansas)

Started by johntpr, February 17, 2007, 07:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Top_Shelf_reps

Quote from: hemigeno on February 19, 2007, 04:55:00 PM
Hmmmm... Something seems really familiar about that writing style there Winga.  Could be there's a common email address involved to...  ;)

I would say welcome to the site, but I don't think this is your first trip here.

:smash: :nono:

Was not me!!!!  :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:

hemigeno

Winga

Quote from: hemigeno on February 19, 2007, 04:55:00 PM
Hmmmm... Something seems really familiar about that writing style there Winga.  Could be there's a common email address involved to...  ;)

I would say welcome to the site, but I don't think this is your first trip here.

:smash: :nono:

I'm a "virgin" here, so be "gentle",............it's my first time! :icon_smile_blackeye:

69_500

I'm thinking the writing style reminds me of someone else who is very fond of the green "Watermelon" Daytona.

That is just my .02 on it though.

To me it is a gorgeous car. Definately has a history. Is it a legit Daytona? I say no. Others say yes? who is right? who knows. I am pretty sure Chrysler didn't do it, but rather a dealership. Was it done early on in life though? yes.

Winga

Quote from: 69_500 on February 19, 2007, 06:07:44 PM
I'm thinking the writing style reminds me of someone else who is very fond of the green "Watermelon" Daytona.

" What yu talk'in bout! ...............Willis! ::)

Old Moparz

I've always liked this purple car, but would never call it, or think it was an actual Daytona because of the standard rear window. (Of course I like the standard window better than a plug.) I'd be happy to own & drive it, but I'd never consider spending that kind of money on one, even if I had that amount burning a hole in my pocket. I would rather enjoy tinkering & driving all the lesser cars I have, & have the variety, than to cash them in & have just one.

I gave up guessing the value on some of the rare, oddball Mopars several years ago since there's always some ________ (fill in the blank yourself) paying what they pay to own it. I understand that we all have a different idea of what something is worth, but I've been shaking my head ever since certain rare cars started topping the $35,000 to $50,000 price ranges a long, long time ago. I'll admit it's nice to know that the cars I have went up in value, but that's not why I have them.

I see the purple one is at $105K right now. My guess is it'll never get to the $250K that's been the asking price, which is probably the reserve, & the high bid will get to about $125K, unless some people start playing games with fake bidding.  :shruggy:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Daytona Guy

Does a Daytona have to have the rear plug to be a real Daytona? If so what do you do with the White Daytona ....................with the red wing that had no rear plug that they had in a Magazine back in 1969................. It had black thin tape outlining the dead light doors....................? I know it was a promo car, but hey.........................., they did call it a Daytona..................... If that car was kept or found I would imagine that car would be worth a.......................... ton of jack.

Does someone have the pics of this car that can post it? I am looking for mine..................... but am having no success......................... I would imagine Hemigeno has it.

What writing style could you guys be talking about.................?   ;) ;)

daytonalo

If I put a daytona nose on a vega ??????????? That would be a daytona , right ?

Old Moparz

Quote from: daytonalo on February 20, 2007, 08:56:54 AM

No, that would be a lot of useless work & Rene would start complaining.  :D
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

barnfindcuda

talk about beating a dead horse! sheeeezh!  i believe we all have opinions about this car , and we should, the question seems to be what defines a true daytona, is it that it had to be built at creative??? or ordered be chrysler?, or does it just have to have a nose and plug in it?, this car is significant because of its history, opininions of what it acually is differ, i think there are very few that believe it is an actual built for chrysler "daytona" i think we all agree it seems as though the dealer may have done it at the request of the new owner or that chrysler decided for 1970 it was off the books, so they MAY have said, "here ya go mister dealer , here are the parts and means to build one for your customer" we will probably never know, but, its wearing daytona clothes and looks pretty  freekin good! i like the car  but would never pay that kinda money either, but know matter how you slice it, it has significant, controversial, historical value! but not 250k love this site, you guys are awsome , and thats my 2 cents

hemigeno

Quote from: Daytona Guy on February 19, 2007, 11:41:05 PM
Does a Daytona have to have the rear plug to be a real Daytona? If so what do you do with the White Daytona ....................with the red wing that had no rear plug that they had in a Magazine back in 1969................. It had black thin tape outlining the dead light doors....................? I know it was a promo car, but hey.........................., they did call it a Daytona..................... If that car was kept or found I would imagine that car would be worth a.......................... ton of jack.

Dane,

The big difference between the white prototype and anything purporting to be a '70 Daytona is this:  Chrysler sanctioned the building of the white/red stripe Daytona, and it was widely used in early advertisements promoting the introduction of the Daytona model.  I agree 100%, that this car would indeed be worth a ton of jack if it ever surfaced with an impeccable history/pedigree.

[side note:  Is there any chance that this white prototype car is actually 287970?  That's the "Dale Reeker" car that I have always wondered if it was really converted to a Daytona or if it was just added to the list to make sure that they were over the 500 homologation car count.  It would have been built before they developed the nose & wing, and it would have made a good mule/test car.  Just a thought, and since I know the car still exists, perhaps some folks (Doug??) knows a bit more about it.  Whether it's white or not, I'd love to spend a day looking it over.]

The '70 "Daytonas" cannot show ANY connection to the factory apart from their start as a '70 Charger R/T.  All the evidence points to the modifications being done by a dealer or the owner themselves through a customizing shop.  For that reason, they aren't even in the same Zip Code as the white car in terms of their legitimacy.

Does someone have the pics of this car that can post it? I am looking for mine..................... but am having no success......................... I would imagine Hemigeno has it.

I'll attach a few pics that are posted on the Winged Warriors site embedded in their writeup of Jerry's car.  If you  need more, I'll dig up a few extras that are bound to be buried on this hard drive somewhere...

What writing style could you guys be talking about.................?   ;) ;)

:icon_smile_cool:

Aero426

Quote from: hemigeno on February 20, 2007, 10:42:57 AM
[side note:  Is there any chance that this white prototype car is actually 287970?  That's the "Dale Reeker" car that I have always wondered if it was really converted to a Daytona or if it was just added to the list to make sure that they were over the 500 homologation car count.  It would have been built before they developed the nose & wing, and it would have made a good mule/test car.  Just a thought, and since I know the car still exists, perhaps some folks (Doug??) knows a bit more about it.  Whether it's white or not, I'd love to spend a day looking it over.]

The Reeker car is an original green car.  I believe it is F6.

69_500

I don't know about Reekers' car being the test mule for Daytona's though Gene, as I had always heard that one of the HEMI 500's was the actual test mule for nose cone fitting. Somewhere around here I have photo's of the car. Can't recall the VIn off the top of my head, but its a very early car. Same options as the first 2, same colors as well.

hemigeno

Maybe I used the wrong words to describe what I was thinking... I was wondering if the white prototype car was Reeker's, but from what Doug knows about the car that cannot be the case.  It was just a thought anyway.

The C500 (didn't that used to be Cotton Owens' car?) that was used for test fitting the nose/fender would have had a flush back glass, so that certainly wasn't the white car.

It has been a long time since I read a lot of these details, but wasn't the original intent for the nosecone to be fiberglass - but the found it deflected too much at higher speeds so they went steel?  Could the white car's nosecone be the same one that they installed on the C500 for testing until they decided to use steel? 

As far as whether the white car still exists, I doubt Chrysler would have allowed it to leave their grasp in that configuration.  It certainly wasn't legal to drive without functioning headlights.  My guess is that they used it for P/R until they had fully-converted cars to use, and then they converted this car back to an R/T.  That's just a guess though.

Chris G.

Is this the car you guys are talking about?  :shruggy:

hemigeno

nascarxx29

We did discuss and try to get to the origins 287970 Dale Reekers Les Bowman ? on where its at currently

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,8829.30.html
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

daytonalo

Nothing like having your friends pump up the bid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK like that doesn't happen

daytonalo

Bidding ended at 200k , and reserve not met !!!!!!!!!!!!! And they say they dont smoke crack in the midwest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

69_500

Look at it from the sellers point of view. Why should he sell it for $200K? It generates so much buzz, that I'm sure it increases the amount of visitors to the museum each year that he advertises it. The listing fee's could be looked at like cheap advertisement.

Ghoste

So should we start a pool for how much bidding goes to when it comes on the bay again in 6 months?  It isn't going to hit the reserve next time either IMO.

Top_Shelf_reps

If you know anything about the bay, most cars sold never meet reserve.

Winga

All the pissin and mouning about this DAYTONA.................it's only because your on the other side of the fence,...................now if it was your car , real Daytona or knot,(it's just a machine)................you'd want all the $$$$$$$$, hype, kudos,............that go with this car.........it's Jerry's car to do with as he pleases, and Top Shelf is providing a service!.............thats just how you'd like it, if you were in the drivers seat so to speak! looking to make a profit!..........the American way!..........whats wrong with it!....................it would be nice to see Jerry bring this car to Carlisle, in the"T" building this year! for the wingcar display.......................a "little birdy" told me that another infamous 1970 Daytona could possibly be there ::)...............you know,.............that Evil dude..........with the Walter Melon "dealership" Daytona :yesnod:

THE CHARGER PUNK

Quote from: daytonalo on February 20, 2007, 08:56:54 AM

You do know that your are talking to the guy(dane aka daytona guy) who invented using a vega plug in a charger to make a daytona clones :yesnod: