News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best way to remove runs in paint?

Started by javakmcharger68, September 05, 2005, 07:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

javakmcharger68

What is the grit sandpaper you start & end with? Got quite a few runs in paint job, wondering about the steps to remove them & make the car shine. Acrylic paint I was using.Thanks

I will try to get a picture up if necessary

73rallye440magnum

Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

moparguy01

usually if its right after i paint a car and theres a run or 2, i try cutting them out with a razor blade. but its one of those things that takes time and practice, cause it can make you repaint the whole panel too if you cut too deep.

Drop Top

If its a single stage and a metalic job. You will never get it all the wat out. If its doesn't have a metalic in it then you can do it. But with the experance you have it won't be easy. Body shop suplie stores sell nib files that work so so. You can also get a stone with diferant grits made for this. Megwiers makes them. You should be able to get them at the same place the files are at. After sanding them out you will need to buff the area also.

69hemi

Eastwood and other companies that specialize in painting supplies have files, sanders and razor kinves that will get rid of paint runs.   My local paint supply store has many in stock for about the same as the catalogs.   Check out the paint supply houses in your area and ask them if they have them in stock.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

javakmcharger68

I decided to sand down the paint & repaint with bigger compressor. I'm happy with it.  :icon_smile_big: For being my first time trying this stuff, I think I am doing ok.

Silver R/T

depends on how big run is, if its like someone was pouring it, ill try to use file first and get it as close to rest of surface as possible then use block and block sand it out
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

SpudRacer

Tom
Bryson City, NC
69' Charger R/T SE Turquoise

beenaround

bro from looking at the picture your body line is all wrong.and what is up with the hole in the fender???i think you made a good effort but failed in the end.now pm me and i will help you out.

MTPOCKET