News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My smart Old man.

Started by onemintcaddy, February 21, 2007, 09:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onemintcaddy

Hi guy's,    Don't get to sit at this key Bord much any more,Working on the wife's eldo.   I do know how it feels when you're intrested in something and you're left hanging. So how about a little history on this old girl? :popcrn:    I don't know ho the first owner was, but I do know that he bought the car new and was using it on a trip when he wrecked the nose and left fender. He then proceded to trade off the car at a dealership in St.Paul Minnesota for the return trip home. My old man got wind of it and we all jumped into the race car haller to go take a look. When we drove around the back of the dealer ship there sat 3 daytonas and one bird. I remember this because I told dad that the purple one looked cooler and to get that one. He told me we don't want that one because it wasn't a "Daytona" and they made too Meny of them.
  After getting the car home the old man called up "Petty Racing" and proceded to get the parts he needed to fix her up. When he had the car painted he didn't like the white wing on the back and had it painted black. He then installed a set of 50's on the rear with chrome steels to give it that badass look. Mom then drove the car for three Minnesota winters before getting her wagon. It then was parked in grandpa's garage where the poleshed is now in the photos. When I bought grandpa's place the car moved out side for two years. It then was moved to the basement of an old bakery where it sat for 3 or4 years and was forgoten about.  One day while drinking at the local watering hole a guy came up to me and asked if I owned a 69 dodge Daytona. Wondering how he new this I said "yes'. He then proceded to tell me that he was intrested in the car and wanted to buy it. I said "no" and he told me I should at least move it inside :scared: He then told me where he seen it and I went to take a look. Sure as sh**, there sat the car. I went back to the bakery to see what the hell was up and the guy that owned it sold the building with out letting me know, Taking the car with him. I then proceded home grabing my trailer and getting the car home. The next day the cop was at my house on a "stollen car" report. I told him my story an explaind " Don't you think I would at least try to hide the car if it was somones other than mine?" It was still sitting on my trailer hooked up to my truck.

Sorry to do this, But I haft to go :shruggy:  I'll be back latter with more, Hear a couple storage photos.
How Meany can say, They drive there 401-K

hemigeno

Awesome story!  Can't wait for the next installment...   :icon_smile_big:

:2thumbs:

tan top

Quote from: hemigeno on February 23, 2007, 09:59:48 AM
Awesome story!  Can't wait for the next installment...   :icon_smile_big:

:2thumbs:

:iagree:    this is a good story ,,    :popcrn: ....:popcrn:..... :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

daytonalo

Aero426

Anyone else catch the guard dog on top of the car?

hemi68charger

Quote from: DougSchellinger on February 23, 2007, 10:40:52 AM

No kidding........ Also, I notice the ceremonial folded American flag on the dash. I hope noone's death led to that........

Troy

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

tan top

i wonder if that is a factory V21 hood treatment ,......... :scratchchin:  all though it is slightly different  looking :-\   thinkng about it they were built too early  i think :-\
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Moparmatty

Not mine.  It's still up here hiding.  LOL!!!!!  I'm still looking for the broadcast sheet.   :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: nascarxx29 on February 22, 2007, 10:30:59 PM
Mopar Matty?He is in canada and his dad still has his daytona.Is that the one ???

Moparmatty

Original Daytona Broadcast sheet needed
« on: April 04, 2006, 09:22:23 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking for the original broadcast sheet for my Daytona.  XX29L9B414626

If anyone out there has it please let me know.

Matt
(519)378-8333
moparguy@log.on.ca
Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

Moparmatty

Our car is B5/B5/White wing.  Peter's car is an original green car.  F6 I believe.  But when Peter restored the car back in the late 70's early 80's he painted it black.  He still brings it to a few shows every year.

Quote from: nascarxx29 on February 22, 2007, 11:18:32 PM
I kind of recall Matty dads daytona was blue.Going by the provided info he said it was his dads and had it 30+ years.And someone mentioned Canada.I  came up with a Pete N in Canada shows owing a green daytona in the July 1979 wingcar owners
Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemigeno

Quote from: tan top on February 23, 2007, 11:04:05 AM
i wonder if that is a factory V21 hood treatment ,......... :scratchchin:  all though it is slightly different  looking :-\   thinkng about it they were built too early  i think :-\

I took a quick peek at one folder I keep info in, and could not find anything on V21 hood treatment relating to Daytonas.  I know that the '69 V21 pattern is significantly different than the '70 style.  What's on that car looks just like the '70 style, so chances are extremely high that it was added at a dealership or by onemintcaddy's family when they repaired the car. 

To my knowledge, you couldn't spec V21 on a Daytona - although I haven't found any definitive statement to that effect just yet.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: DougSchellinger on February 23, 2007, 10:40:52 AM

Nope, I completely missed that one on the first pass. :smilielol:

Great story! Like the rest of these guys, I'm anxiously waiting for the nest chapter.  :popcrn:
At least we know there's a happy ending & there won't be any tears shed at the end.  :yesnod:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

74Charger

That is a very cool story!  Very lucky that the guy told you about the car being outside.  And you were able to go and get it!

Like the rest.  I am interested to hear more. :yesnod:
74' Charger
03' 2500 4x4 CTD

PocketThunder

Do you live in Minnesota?  where?

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

41husk

This is like one of those books you just can't put down, even though its after midnight and you have to be up for work at 5am.  Love to see some more photos and the rest of the story.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

69_500

Come on now, you mean no one has asked if its a 4 speed or an auto yet? Or did I miss something here?

Great story so far, make sure to fill us in on the rest. Can't believe the owner of th bakery would have reported the car as stolen. Or was it someone else who reported it stolen?

nascarxx29

Interesting story keep us posted .I know of a few daytonas in Minnesota.One came out of from windy river junkyard .And being restored
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Ghoste

That's what I want to know.  Who reported it stolen and why?
Tell us about the flag too.

wetfeetmi

Welcome aboard....PLEASE keep  the newsflashes coming.   Rick

onemintcaddy

Hay Guys:
  When I Finlay got a hold of the guy that was suppost to be taking care of the car he explained to me how the deal on the building had gone throw so fast that he was unable to get in touch with me. ::) He also tyred to explain how he was going to store it in his dad's shed out at pelican lake. He then explained how FREAKED out he was when his father called him and said the car was gone. O-well, The car is in the yard.
When I came rolling in the yard with the car the old man came running out with a big ole hard on and wanted to start on restoring it right then and ther. Thats where the photo of the tarp on the car came from. It sat out one more winter. Once the old man lost intrest agen thats when it went into the container. The dog in the photo was not quite a year old and he past on at 9 years of age. Thats how long the car was in the box. When we pulled it out to start working on it the old man was unable to find the fender tags for the car. He then went to dodge and was going to have new tags made up. Hear it turns out that his Vin. # came up requested to some guy in the Dakotas, WOW.He was building a daytona with the old mans vin. He then went to winged warriors legal department and they where up in arms and more than willing to look into it for him. At least he got the tags he needed.
  Right now the car is completely apart with new new floors, trunk pans and quarters. the motor is ready to be droped in when the old man gets home from doun south.
   The car is located in Sauk Rapids MN. It's ben hear all it's life. She has a 440 with a slap stick auto. The flag was folded up and put in the car one rainy day and I forgot to take it out. Was unable to open the doors once in the shed.
What is a V-21 hood treatment?

Ghoste

It's the black out treatment on the hood.

nascarxx29

The 69 daytona shipment list shows 3 daytonas shipped to Minnesota XX29L9B386547-XX29L9B388184-XX29L9B402974.69 Daytona list per state totals going from the current standing list number to date #501 cars from pages supplied in my club newsletter that shows the new car shipments for 69 daytonas and locations shipped to Including serial numbers and dealer number and dealer location. Also shows what states did and did not recieve a 69 daytona .Starting with the 440s AL-11 AZ-5 AR-2 CANADA 45 CA-38 CO-12 CON-2 DE-1 FL-16 GA-16 HAWAII-2 ID-1 IL-22 IN-21 IA-3 KAN-7 KEN-5 LOU-7 ME-1 MD-2 MASS-5 MI-26 MINN-3 MISS-1 MO-21 MONT-1 NEB-4 NV-2 NH-2 NJ-6 NY-26 NC-13 NDKT-1 SDKT-4.OH-25 OK-9 ORE-7 PA-23 RI-3 SC-4 TN-5 TX-20 UT-1 VT-1 VA-13 WA ST-7 WA-DC-2 W VA-1 WI-9-The 426 states AZ-1 CANADA-5 CA-7 CO-3 GA-1 IL-1 IN-1 KAN-1 MD-1 MI-2 MO-1 NY-1 NC-1 OH-3 PA-1 SC-1 TX-3 WVA-1 WI-1 .Total #501 465- 440 Hemi-36 for the 47 states 1 line was unreadable unknown state. 2 cars were 440 dodge exec cars with no dealer location in house cars and figured in with the MI total.Only #3 states didnt recieve 69 Daytona on this current list Alaska-New Mexico-Wyoming .
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

onemintcaddy

Thank's, The old man had that done to the hood.
According to the bild sheet, dash tag and door sticker the vin# is XX29l9b-400600. It also has this number on the title.

69_500

So have you since located the Fender tag? Or had you guys already given the fender tag information to the clubs back in the early days? And they were able to get you the codes again to make a new tag?
Just glad to hear that someone actually held on to a wing car for all of those years. Many people I remember having these cars, have long since sold them off.

hemigeno

Quote from: onemintcaddy on February 25, 2007, 10:56:03 AM
Thank's, The old man had that done to the hood.
According to the bild sheet, dash tag and door sticker the vin# is XX29l9b-400600. It also has this number on the title.

That VIN shows up on the Daytona Shipment list as #429, and it also lists as having been shipped to Bob Morton Motors from Hope, Arizona.

Does that jive with the ownership history you already know about the car?