News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Windshield seals

Started by ducky13, February 26, 2007, 03:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ducky13

Hello,
I am looking to install my new vinyl top and headliner on my 1970 Dodge Charger.  I am going to remove the front and rear windshields before I do it.  I need some assistance on where to get the seals to reinstall both windshields.  I have tried the Paddock and Year 1, but neither specify the seals for both windshields.  Year 1 has a kit, but it refers to a tape kit for $15.  I have the chrome strips around both windshields and would like to put them back in.  I have seen on Ebay a front windshield seal for around $85, but not the back.  The front states that it will take the trim.
So my questions are:
Does anyone know where to get the seals for the windshields?
Has anyone purchased either the kit from Year 1 or the windshield seal on Ebay?  If so how did it work?
How difficult is it to install the windows after removing them?

Also, on another subject, where would I find some decent Orange paint for my Charger?  And what type should I get?  I have seen several different types, Acrylic Enamel, Urethane Base Coat, Acrylic Urethane, and Acrylic Lacquer.  Which one is best?
Thank you,
Ducky13

Spike

Ducky I bought mine from Y1, the front winshield uses a seal. The rear is caulked/glued in. You can buy it at most auto paint suppy stores.If you have never done on before, I would suggest having it done. You don't want a leak.

Any pics of your Charger?

BTW if you haven't yet check out http://1970chargerregistry.com/

AKcharger

Ducky

Welcome!  I did both my front and rear glass with the help of a friend whose a professional glass guy (well OK HE did all the work and I helped) As spike said it's better to have a pro do it bit here's some tips:

- If you're planning on using the same windscreen then you can just "cut" it out, the seal  by your self. The seal will be ruined but I can 97% guarantee the glass will break if you do it the normal way that is to "unzip" the seal and push it out.

- The windscreen is cracked/bad then you can remove it and reuse the seal...I reused the seal on my '70 and it's fine.

- When you (or shop) installs the rear glass bring your trim with you and test fit it. I made the mistake of having the rear glass "stand up" to much and my "check molding" trim doesn't fit right...this is a common mistake, I've seen it a lot at shows, does make me feel good.

- Be sure to do any/all dash repairs with the glass out!!!

Good luck