News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which newer master cyl looks most like an original '68?

Started by bull, September 06, 2005, 03:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I switched to front disc brakes a while back and ended up getting a master cyl for a Dodge pickup that works. The only problem is it is quite a bit bigger than the original one. I'd like to find one that looks more like the original but has the larger reservoir for the disc brake side.

Just 6T9 CHGR

The one I got from SSBC is an A-body unit which I believe is still readilly available.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

I just got done ordering a new master cylinder for my disc brake car Bull.   Supposedly, it is new and one of three they had in stock here in Cananananada.   It should be here tomorrow morning and if it turns out to be the same, I'll let you know.

bull

Ghoste

I picked it up this morning Bull and it looks like the right unit.  The resevoirs are both the same size but the piston bore is longer which I believe is correct for some applications.  There was a master cylinder primer in Mopar Action recently so I'm going to look it up and make sure.  I'm obviously not trying to make a correct show piece or I wouldn't be using an aftermarket cylinder but I do want one that is going to function properly.

Ghoste

Well, I'm just not so sure right now.  I'm trying to find out.

Ghoste

Bull, after a lengthy weekend of tracking this down, I now have one that looks very similar to the origianl disc brake master for 67-70 B-bodies.  It is NAPA number 36283 or Raybestos number MC36283.  The cover is gold which is different from the originals I think but it is the proper size casting dimensionally and it is a wire bail to hold the cover on.
I hope that helps.

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on September 12, 2005, 02:39:53 PM
Bull, after a lengthy weekend of tracking this down, I now have one that looks very similar to the origianl disc brake master for 67-70 B-bodies.   It is NAPA number 36283 or Raybestos number MC36283.   The cover is gold which is different from the originals I think but it is the proper size casting dimensionally and it is a wire bail to hold the cover on.
I hope that helps.

Yes it helps. I was watching your other thread too and waiting for your questions to get sorted out. I had no idea what to say to help other than I think it's pretty much the standard that the disc brake size of the reservoir is supposed to be larger.

Thanks to you too, Chris.

Ghoste

I never got a truly definitive answer on that part but the guy who gave me the number is the same one who wrote that article for Mopar Action recently.  He used to work for Raybestos and he seems to have researched it pretty thoroughly and from the reams of photos I have here and the dozens of other books laying around here, he seems to be right.  I know the part I have now seems to look right (but then I thought that before didn't I) so it is the one that's going on.
But for some reason, it does appear that some disc brake cars had same size resevoirs.