News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What color red was Buddy Bakers #6 daytona????

Started by THE CHARGER PUNK, February 28, 2007, 01:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

anyone know this answer??? or what color the yellow or orange was either????

69_500

You planning on building a different car now? Just curious.

THE CHARGER PUNK

no just wondering, its of my 3 fav nascar 'tonas, glotzbachs plum crazy #99,issacs ford poppy red #71 and bakers #6, also is that a real vinyl top???

wingcar builder

i've been researching that car myself. the red they call Day-glow red but the color doesn't come up in any manufacture paint books. the top is a black textured roof like on the Dave Marcis car. the yellow i'm still researching that. there is an argument about the Poppy red color. Terry Nichels disagrees that they used a ford color on that Daytona being that was under Chrysler's watchful eye. however the color on the Cuda grilles and taillight panels on the Challenger R/T is listed in the 1970 Ditzler book in the spring color section as Poppy Red. Why would you use a color of the competiton? (FORD)  I'm working on a book on the Nichels chassis' and the Daytonas and Superbirds  and it's going to have those specs on each team's cars so researching to get these colors hasn't been easy.   Wcb

nascarxx29

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[[[Bobby Isaac]]] was the point champion in [[[1970]]] while driving the [[[Poppy Red]] [[(a Ford color)]] K&K Insurance #71 Dodges to eleven victories. In addition to Isaac and Petty, other winners in Chrysler products during the 1970 season included: Bobby Allison, Charlie Glotzbach, Buddy Baker who won the Southern 500 and Pete Hamilton who won the Daytona 500 and the Talladega 500.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19572.0.html

http://wwnboa.org/hartman.htm 
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Ghoste

Sox and Martin used Ford blue on all of their engines and the blue stripe on their cars was also a Ford color so maybe Chrysler wasn't watching quite as close as Terry Nichels recalls?

THE CHARGER PUNK

Bakers car did start as a 68 charger correct??? or did it start life as a 500?

wingcar builder

i'm assuming that one of the Daytonas started life as a 68' but depending on when the chassis' were built by nichels. there was a couple chassis' terry said were built for Cotton for Daytonas. i'm sure the chassis saw a longer life when Glotzbach and Unser were pilots! (68 & the 69 500)  but when buddy was in them, he was a little rougher LOL!!   ~ Wcb

nascarxx29

There was one particular hemi charger that a magazine got loaned.It got stolen and recovered sitting on crates in Watts CA.That car later became the #88 research car.I have a magazine article somewhere describes that account

hemigeno

Quote from: wingcar builder on March 01, 2007, 07:31:20 PM
i'm sure the chassis saw a longer life when Glotzbach and Unser were pilots! (68 & the 69 500)  but when buddy was in them, he was a little rougher LOL!!   ~ Wcb

Hey Wcb/Doug, if you get to see Cotton sometime, ask him for the full story about the Daytona that he cut up...  The short version is this:

Buddy was comfortably leading a race in 1970 (I think it was at Dover, but I honestly don't remember all the particulars), and he coasts into the pits for a stop with about 20-25 laps remaining.  Cotton shouts out to him, telling Buddy to take it easy, that he has the race won.  Buddy gets back out on the track, and almost immediately runs into the back of an "also ran", and crashes out.  Cotton said that he was so mad, he took the car back to the shop and cut it into pieces!

Scratch one Race Daytona...

wingcar builder

Gene, i'll look in my archives tonite,  i have a picture of that ! the front end is so flat it's hard to believe it has a nosecone on it!! LOL!!!  i'll post the pic as soon as i find it. ~ Wcb

nascarxx29

This#88 daytona has early wingcars origins history.The number #88 research daytona .And its origins .Are The early history of the machine is a fascinition as its speed.Originally the car was a (68 charger).Said by Frank Wylie retired director of public relations for dodge division.He states we loaned that car to a magazine in los angeles for testing.It was stolen striipped of everything.and the car was found in the Watts section of LA.That car was taken back to Nichels engineering in Highland IN and converted into what is known as the prototype dodge daytona .The other car that 69 500 mentioned was the cotton owens car that was first to be fitted with the wingcar body parts.It was not this car.But the other one of Cotton Owens.500

Aero426

Quote from: hemigeno on March 01, 2007, 08:08:16 PM
Quote from: wingcar builder on March 01, 2007, 07:31:20 PM
i'm sure the chassis saw a longer life when Glotzbach and Unser were pilots! (68 & the 69 500)  but when buddy was in them, he was a little rougher LOL!!   ~ Wcb

Hey Wcb/Doug, if you get to see Cotton sometime, ask him for the full story about the Daytona that he cut up...  The short version is this:

Buddy was comfortably leading a race in 1970 (I think it was at Dover, but I honestly don't remember all the particulars), and he coasts into the pits for a stop with about 20-25 laps remaining.  Cotton shouts out to him, telling Buddy to take it easy, that he has the race won.  Buddy gets back out on the track, and almost immediately runs into the back of an "also ran", and crashes out.  Cotton said that he was so mad, he took the car back to the shop and cut it into pieces!

Scratch one Race Daytona...

It was the Texas 500 and he ran into James Hylton under caution.   James finished 4th that day.   Cotton still has nightmares about this, I am sure.   

Pure speculation on my part, but I feel this car may have been rebuilt into the auto show car for the '70 season, which became the Darlington museum car.   The front sheetmetal took the brunt, but there's too much left to cut up and throw away the whole car.

Aero426

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on March 01, 2007, 07:03:36 PM
Bakers car did start as a 68 charger correct??? or did it start life as a 500?

Just to add a little more here to WCB's answer...

By 1968, none of the factory backed Ford or Chrysler stock cars started out as production cars with VINs.  The exception may be the #88 test car.   Many of the race Daytonas started out as '68 race chassis, were converted to 500 sheet metal, and then to Daytonas, and then onto other things in 1971 and 72.   I don't know how many new chassis Nichels built in 1969 and 1970, but would like to know.

In USAC racing, some cars actually went back and forth between Daytona for long track and 500 for short track by changing out the front clip and wing.  Terry Nichels' yellow #99 is a good example of this.

THE CHARGER PUNK

hemigeno

Quote from: DougSchellinger on March 02, 2007, 11:44:34 AM

It was the Texas 500 and he ran into James Hylton under caution.   James finished 4th that day.   Cotton still has nightmares about this, I am sure.   

Pure speculation on my part, but I feel this car may have been rebuilt into the auto show car for the '70 season, which became the Darlington museum car.   The front sheetmetal took the brunt, but there's too much left to cut up and throw away the whole car.

Thanks for filling in the blanks, Doug!  Cotton was quite definitive that he cut the car up in pieces, but who's to say what happened.  I shouldn't have used the term "also ran", since Hylton was no slouch, but I didn't remember Cotton mentioning who it was that Baker hit. 

So that was Texas '69 that Isaac ended up winning?  Looks like Baker led 150 of the 250 laps they ran that day.  Sheesh, I can imagine Cotton being a little hot under the collar about that one.

Aero426

Thanks for filling in the blanks, Doug!  Cotton was quite definitive that he cut the car up in pieces, but who's to say what happened.  I shouldn't have used the term "also ran", since Hylton was no slouch, but I didn't remember Cotton mentioning who it was that Baker hit. 

So that was Texas '69 that Isaac ended up winning?  Looks like Baker led 150 of the 250 laps they ran that day.  Sheesh, I can imagine Cotton being a little hot under the collar about that one.

Yes it was the season ending Texas 500, adn the first REAL win for the Daytona.

Have you ever heard the old racers saying,  "The older I get, the faster I was." 

There's no doubt that Cotton is sure in his own mind what he did.   Cotton is also quite positive that the Darlington museum car is the 1970 Southern 500  winner.    Cotton is sure that Baker ran plumb into the back of some "also ran".    It's tough to contradict those things because they are coming from the man who was there.    I have all the respect in the world for Mr. Owens and his achievements.

Preston Lerner is a free lance writer and one of my favorites.    I'll paraphrase what he recently wrote, in that "there comes a time when you are researching something, and you find out that you know the subject matter better than those who were actually there and are recalling it for you."       I am not at all suggesting I am in that position here.      But what Preston says is really true.     After fifty years and dozens and dozens of race cars, some details as you remember them , well, things might get a little fuzzy.    Ask me what I had for lunch last week, and I couldn't tell you.

What you do take away from the legends of the sport are the little anecdotes and funny stories.  Those are the things the old historical records never told.  

Aero426

Also, this photo from higher up in the thread is from the Texas 500.

wingcar builder

Thanks Doug, i forgot to add that the 68's were white bodies also. i was tired when i posted  LOL!  bummer is i was talking to Terry on the phone on the way home and got on here and then saw your post. i'm going out to Terry's in a couple weeks and we're going to go thru Rays archives! that's going to be a mind blower!! hey charger punk i'll post Terry's Daytona pics ~Wcb

wingcar builder

wingcar builder

here is the same car in 500 garb with Terry. ~ Wcb

69_500

Keep the photo's coming. I just picked up 6 race programs from the 1969 and 1970 Race seasons. Tons of great photo's in those as well. I'll try to scan in a few this weekend.

WINGR

Hi, sorry for the delay in responding to the thread but I just registered recently. Due to the fact that I own an R6 Daytona and the similarity to R6 on Buddy's 06 Daytona, I was curious to the real color of that race car. Last year I spoke with a credible source at their shop and was told that in fact they did use a Ford paint color. This was due to the fact that Chrysler was using enamel paints and that would be a problem when trying to match the colors when making repairs on the race car. Apparently Ford had similar colors that were in Lacquer in which would be much easier to work with. I would imagine that is why the K&K car was also using the Ford paint. As far as the #99 Nichols car, the Plum Crazy paint had to have been a Chrysler paint color since I don't believe Ford had anything close to it.

WINGR

wingcar builder

Terry Nichels told me Ray used the Chrysler colors on all his cars. and Cotton owens told me the Baker car was a Dodge color ( he thinks it was Charger Red) with  Day-glo yellow with clear. Terry's Charger 500 was suppose to be Top Banana but the paint guy screwed up the color and made it darker so he stayed with that.i guess on the yellow daytona as well.  ~ Wcb

THE CHARGER PUNK

nascarxx29

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: wingcar builder on March 02, 2007, 07:53:10 PM

Is it my computer or does that 500 have a spoiler on the decklid?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Aero426

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on March 31, 2007, 12:37:59 PM
Quote from: wingcar builder on March 02, 2007, 07:53:10 PM

Is it my computer or does that 500 have a spoiler on the decklid?

Yes, there is a better photo of it showing a flat blade spoiler coming up off the rear edge of the deck lid.   The spoiler had long slotted holes and could be adjusted up or down.   

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?