News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cad Painting System - Anyone use it?

Started by 19Charger68, March 01, 2007, 05:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19Charger68

I bought the cadnium painting system to shoot the master clyinder cover.  It is such a small part I am afraid I am going to make it look bad when I spray the red and green over the gold.  Have any of you ever done this with smaller parts and had any success in making it look like the real thing?  If so, how did you do it?  Thanks!
Bruce

daytonalo

it looks like paint ..................................... Looks horrible . Just had a wiper motor cad plated , no substatute for the real deal . Look in yellow pages !!!!!!!!1

OttawaCharger

1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

19Charger68

Thanks for the reply guys!  I guess since I already bought the system I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work will look into getting it plated or try it myself.  Appreciate the responses!
Bruce

bill440rt

I used it on some small items that I was not able to take apart & replate. Replating is always my first choice, if you're doing a concours stock-type resto.
I think the formula has changed a bit over the years. When I first bought it, it was a 4-part spray can paint system. I think they got it now down to 3 cans??  :shruggy:  The first part used to be CHROME spray paint, which gave it some reflective qualities like real plating.

Anyway, it's still PAINT. Try it on some scraps to get a technique down, you need to be somewhat of an artist to use it. Don't use too much, either.

Here's some shots of the A/C valve on my '70 R/T. See the gold tube coming off of it? That's pressed in, can't remove it. Perfect, small part to use that Eastwood paint. Check out the ballast resistor bracket above it for comparison. Very, very close. No one has ever said a word.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

19Charger68

Thanks again guys.  I tried it this weekend and it turned out pretty good.  Unless you look real hard it would be difficult to tell the difference between it and plated.  I agree, if concours, not the way to go, but otherwise it seems to work pretty well.  This was the four part system including diamond gloss clear. I sprayed it over silver and once I had sprayed the red and green oxide, i misted it again with gold which subdued the other colors. 
Bruce

daytonalo

Bruce like you said , no sub for plating . No way , no how can that gold-green- purple effect be duplicated . Like you said use it only when your building a driver or on the cheap .