News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Repairing Lower Spoiler Attachments ?

Started by 1970 RT/SE, March 02, 2007, 11:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970 RT/SE

I need to repair or replace a few of the rivnuts that attach the lower spoiler as they are stripped. Anyone have similar issues recently that want to share how they fixed theirs. I don't want to replace the rivnuts unless I have to as I don't want to repaint anything. Was thinking about using a JB weld type product and re tapping ,. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated, thanks

1970 RT/SE

I can't be the only one that has had this problem am I ?

hemigeno

Mine will need some attention too, but the whole nosecone is being repaired & painted so the buggered up rivinuts will just get replaced.  Sorry I'm not more help on that subject.   :'(

Sounds like the JB Weld approach might work though!

62 Max

If you can get to the back side use a grade 8 bolt and nut with a stainless washer on each side.You can tighten it enough to compress the rivnut a little more and it will probably hold.In other words.tighten the hell out of it.

1970 RT/SE

Thanks for the input, I will look to see if that will work.

UFO

Why cant the stripped one be drilled out and a new one popped in.

62 Max

Quote from: UFO on March 03, 2007, 01:03:44 PM
Why cant the stripped one be drilled out and a new one popped in.

Said he didn't want to do any paint work!

UFO

If the nut uses a 1/4 hole to install,drill with 1/4 to remove old one.The rivinut tool I have just squeezes on,no paint work needed.

hemigeno

Quote from: UFO on March 04, 2007, 09:57:15 AM
If the nut uses a 1/4 hole to install,drill with 1/4 to remove old one.The rivinut tool I have just squeezes on,no paint work needed.

The problem is that the exposed portion of the replaced rivinut would need to be painted body color.  That's the paint work he was trying to avoid.  You're right, it is no big deal to replace the rivinut with a new one, but to do so without leaving evidence of the replacement on a finished car is a lot more of a trick.

UFO

Does the spoiler not sit on top of the rivinut?So the only part left visible would be the 1/16 or so of the edge.You would have to lie on the floor to even see it.
Model car paints would work fine for touch up in such a small area.
For all the trouble of JB weld and retapping I would replace it.

1970 RT/SE

I wonder if i could paint the riv nut first, attach it, and then touch up as necessay?