News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electrical wire wrap?

Started by Headrope, July 23, 2005, 04:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headrope

Just finished rebuilding my engine and I'm about ready to drop it in. Before doing so I want to freshen up the engine bay a little.

What I think needs the most attention is the wiring harness. It works fine, but looks terrible. A fresh wrap of tape should do the trick.

Will regular, off-the-shelf electricians tape be able to withstand the heat? What should I use, if not?
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

dkn1997

they make non stick vinyl tape.  year one sells it.  that what the factory used.  there is a vinyl one and a cloth one.  depends on which harness you are wrapping.  I recall the engine harness on my 68 was wrapped in vinyl. I just went over it once and it looked brand new
RECHRGED

67RedCharger

I would stick with  3M brand of vinyl tape.  I have found that 3M brand will stay wraped better and does not tend to become loose.  Cheap brand tapes will come loose and then it will unravel leaving a sticky mess.  I've been in the Electronics avenue for 42 years.

~ 67RedCharger ~
Original Owner "Ole Red" 1967 Red Dodge Charger

Headrope

Forty-two years and you think you're qualified to give electrical tape advice, huh?
I'll look for some 3M.
Much thanks, everyone.

BigBlockSam

i've used back tape and it's held up well and i've used black plastic wire loom.  Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Headrope

Oh, yeah. I never thought of using the wire loom. That we be better anyways right now, since I'm eventually going to wire in an MSD ignition setup.
I'll use the 3M vinyl tape when I'm all finished.
Thanks for the suggestion.

BigBlockSam

glad i could help. i bought like 50 feet of the stuff from ebay for around $13. for future projects
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Charge It!

I have heard of people using friction tape. The kind that you used to put on the blades of hockey sticks.

Sledge57

I just used the tape from year one and it's perfect and no sticky crap to deal with if you unwrap it for any reason.
Doug
POS Pedal Car
Best to Date: 11.93 @ 113.41

POS Pedal Car Vid