News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Auto Meter Gauges/Wiring Harnesses

Started by yellocharge68, March 21, 2007, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellocharge68

I know the wiring harness and who to go with discussion has been beat to death. I have finally got the entire suspension rebuilt and all of the major kinks worked out of that(Pictures to followupon arrival home from the shop tomorrow!!!!). I am now moving on to re wire my car, and I plan on using the original gauge locations to place aftermarket Auto Meter Gauges, specifically I want the Autometer Cobalt system with a Speedo/Tach/oil Temp/Water Temp.....Does anyone know of a hook up to get the closest to a dealers cost or a really good Price?????  Funds are slowly dribbling in and I am trying to stay as close to on budget as I can..... 
  Any help, directions hook-up or connection will be greatly appreciated!!! Once again, thanks to all for you for the help and encouragement!!!!

Keep Rockin'      Yours truly,

Yellocharge68!!!!!!!!!! :icon_smile_cool: :o ;)
Sunfire Yellow 1968 Dodge Charger 383/727 auto-console

mike337

Just saw your posting, and coincidentally I was just looking through the Summit catalog last night and picked out the same Cobalt gauges for my 69 Charger.  Did you purchase the gauges, and if so, how did they look in the dash cluster?

Mike

Chryco Psycho

I just build my own harness to connect the guages , 12v power , lights & grounds acn all be tied in togehter

HITMAN 149

hey yellow.......
i have a 68 charger r/t i'm resto/moding....
i picked up a set (6) of autometer phantom II's (tach, speedo, fuel level, oil press, water temp & volts)  from a local speed shop not to far from me....he uses summit's prices as a guide, then discounted it a lil more for me, cause my mechanic buddy is cool with him.  i'm gonna put them in my stock cluster after i re-do/spray it.
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

yellocharge68

Mike337, I havent bought mine yet...typical funding shortage kiddos needed somer dental work and a lotta money goes a short way in Dental stuff!!!

Hitman... I have a local speed shop I ran across and they called and checked on a price and for my gauges I was quoted close to $1000.00 bucks....  so I will have to start scraping together the pennies and such, as soon as I do I'll catch up with ya!!

Chryco bud, It is always a pleasure to hear from you, and I know that you are a serious problem solver, that is so cool that you already worked your gauge system out. I poromise I'll come callin when I get ready to do mine...  Thanks all!!!!!
Sunfire Yellow 1968 Dodge Charger 383/727 auto-console

HITMAN 149

hey yellow
i picked up my set of pahntom II's for about $700.
good luck!!
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Ricardo

Please post some pic's, I'm planning to do it also. Any tips?.

Ricardo

mike337

I'm in the middle of modifying my 69 Charger gauge cluster facia to accomodate the Auto Meter guages.  Many thanx to those who have previously posted on this topic.  I ordered the Cobalt tach, water temp, and volt meter to get started.  Those are now installed in the facia, and I need to order the speedo, oil pressure, and fuel level guages.

The installed gauges are not in there final positions yet.  I was swapping them around to check clearances.

Once I am sure about the gauge placement, I will then trim out the metal/woodgrain plate.

One question for those who have done this conversion already.  Which fuel level guage "range" is correct for a Charger?  My Summit catalog shows 3 different Cobalt fuel level guages.  6113, 6115, and 6116.  All are short sweep. There is a 0-90 ohms, 73-10 ohms, and 240-33 ohms gauge.

Also, how will the gauge interface with the stock sending unit, or will it?

Thanx,
Mike

Just 6T9 CHGR

Empty is 73 ohms (+/- 12) ohms

Full is 9.6 ohms (+/- 1) ohm

73-10 ohm's is the one you need
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mike337

Moparrulzzz

If not mistaken painless makes a wire harness to wire your gauges and plug into your stock wiring without cutting your dash harness. I could swear I saw one in Summits cat.
Chuck

chargerman68

Quote from: Moparrulzzz on April 15, 2008, 07:58:19 PM
If not mistaken painless makes a wire harness to wire your gauges and plug into your stock wiring without cutting your dash harness. I could swear I saw one in Summits cat.
Chuck
:yesnod:

its not with the gauges i think look for it in the maybe the painless section under fuse panels or switches i think
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

mike337

Thanx for the Pointers!

I found a Painless universal gauge harness in the Summit Catalog (Part # PRF-30302).  Anyone use one of these with a Mopar? 

Ron Francis makes a gauge harness with a quick disconnect which could be handy, but it looks like the wires are long enough for full travel to the sending units. 

I had been trying to find out if I could use a mini type plug ends to connect the Ron Francis into the original harness plug that connected to the gauge pins on the back of the original cluster.

I'll need to decide soon.  I just ordered the remaining gauges.

Mike