News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Rt lower rear window repair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by gpnavar, September 08, 2005, 04:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpnavar

Thanks to all you great Mopar brains I have been able to get the trunk out of my Charger and remove the rear window so that I could inspect the lower corners of the window channel and low and behold I'm going to have to replace them so here is my question to you first off where can I find the pre fabricated rear window corners for a Charger and second what do I need to do to the headliner to move it back away from the window channel so that I can weld the new corners in without destroying the headliner. Is it glued in or does it have some type of clips holding it in place? I know that you guys have the answers to help me and I really do appreciate it so any light that you can shed on my dilemina would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much Gary

palindromes

You can get aftermarket sail panels (the inner side pieces) and deck filler panel (forward of the trunk lid) that have the window channels integrated into them from just about anyplace (got mine from autobodyspecialt.com).  Each corner is really made up of both pieces which meet right in the middle (see pic).  So if your rust is bad enough & you're deadset on getting prefabbed metal, you may have to buy both pieces.  If the rust is truly isolated to the channel itself, I'd recommend trying to fabricate it yourself.

The back edge of your headliner is folded over some serrated-looking brackets that go around the inside of the window channel (the 'teeth' on the brackets hold it in place...I don't think there's any glue used there).  If you can get the headliner removed from those brackets without it crumbling in your hands, you're probably good to go.  Good luck!

palindromes

Should've explained the pic better...I just cut out what I needed from the aftermarket sail panel piece (& obviously hadn't hit the hole at the top yet).  Like you, I had rust holes in the corners.

Here's the pic I actually meant to post that's a little clearer; after I had tacked the sailpanel patch in place.

69hemi

Both the corners on my car were rusted so I made mine from some sheetmetal stock I had from the quarters I cut off.  I don't have a shrinker so I made mine from 3-pieces of stock and shaped each piece to fit then tacked them in.  A little Duro Glass when it came back from the e-coaters and it all worked out well.  Just take your time and make each part long then trim to fit.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram