News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Avaliability of REPRODUCTION Charger bodies??

Started by Magnumcharger, April 05, 2007, 08:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnumcharger

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Deals&Number=3403451&Searchpage=11&Main=3403451&Words=&topic=1&Search=true#Post3403451

"Absolutely, we are going to stamp the entire vehicle in the next year. finally, Mopar licensed, correct fit parts. I've also added a new email address and my ph.# 810-955-1860 CHRIS PERRY. Please visit our website at www.weracehardcore.com, Thanks."

Sounds like these guys are somewhat serious???
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Fitz73Chrgr

Link didn't work.  But they are making Camaro, Mustang, and now Nova reproduction bodies, so I'm sure its coming.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Charger1973

That would be awesome...  Hope its true.

And the link is definately no good. 

Magnumcharger

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Charger1973

Ah, those guys again.  I'll beleive it when I see it.   :icon_bs:

TripleBlackGator

Good! I hope it becomes a reality. The Hollywood studios can use them instead of originals. 15K to 20K (if that is the supposed amount) would look financially viable given the union costs of rebuilding originals.
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

Mike DC

I was under the impression that Hardcore Racing intends to stamp the entire outer skin of the car as individual replacement parts.  (Front clip, quarters, door skins, etc.) 
I hadn't heard anything about Hardcore doing an entire Dyancorn-style reproduction of the Charger unibody (floors & subframes, welding the panels, etc.).

------------------------------------------------------------------

Either way, I suspect Hardcore is gonna get disappointed with the amount they sell and shut this Charger-stamping plan down at some point.  (Remember, they're basically a bunch of Chevy guys used to a much larger audience than just the Mopar community.)

But once the expensive tooling is created, then we're probably safe whether it's a money-loser or not.  (At least for those particular panels, anyway.)  Hardcore might try to sell the tooling to someone else or maybe they'll just keep stamping stuff at a loss, but I doubt anyone is gonna scrap it.

If we can just get some high-quality quarter & fender tooling created before Hardcore loses interest, then I'm happy. 

jmeekins33

I hope these become a reality.  I'd buy em.

69charger2002

yeah i was thinking along the same lines as miked.. my impression of "stamping the entire vehicle" is making each body panel available. i seriously doubt there will be a complete hull being made for at LEAST a few more years.. would be nice though
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

AKcharger

Hmmm, I'm going to guess at prices here...
$5000 for rear 1/4's
$3000 for front fenders
$1000 for hood
$500 for trunk lid
$1500 for full floor pan
$2000 for both doors
$ 500 for both inner fender wells
$5000 for unibody
$18,500 for a shell...

One problem I see is unlike Mustangs and Cameros I don't think the repro market is good enough yet to make MOST of the things needed to peice one together...you'd still need a doner car....but bless thier hearts for the efforts

69 OUR/TEA

When it comes to the new repo camaro and mustangs ,how do you actually register one if you do not have a donor car with the numbers?Are they considered composites like the 32 ford shells as an example?How would you declare the year,by what year it is representing or when it was made?And finally,what do you think it would do to the values of real ones,does it make them go up because it's real,or go down because now you can just go out and buy one whenever?

Silver R/T

way too expensive, Ill stick with goodmark panels for right now
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

myk

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on April 06, 2007, 09:53:37 AM
-what do you think it would do to the values of real ones,does it make them go up because it's real,or go down because now you can just go out and buy one whenever?

New clones shouldn't affect the market at all, as people who are serious about collecting genuine cars won't even think about the reproductions.  Also, buying an original would be far cheaper than having a new clone built for you.  For example, aren't one of those '69 Camaro clones well into six-figure territory?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Mike DC

IMHO the value of old cars probably won't be affected by reproduction unibodies at this point.  Not unless the reproductions become more common than the originals, and/or the reproductions become considerably cheaper to build than the originals.  And neither of those situations is likely to happen in the forseeable future.

Ghoste

They would also have to be dead perfect reproductions to make an impact llike that.

Charger_Fan

What timing. Two days ago I sorta laughingly guessed that maybe they were gonna make whole bodies so they wouldn't be jumping real Chargers anymore; http://1970chargerregistry.com/70messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=4355&start=15
Maybe I was onto something? :scratchchin:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on April 06, 2007, 02:51:04 PM
What timing. Two days ago I sorta laughingly guessed that maybe they were gonna make whole bodies so they wouldn't be jumping real Chargers anymore; http://1970chargerregistry.com/70messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=4355&start=15

Can't read it. I'm banned...for now.  :D
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

Charger_Fan

Quote from: TripleBlackGator on April 06, 2007, 03:51:40 PM
Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on April 06, 2007, 02:51:04 PM

Can't read it. I'm banned...for now.  :D
Oh, brother. :stirthepot: :lol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ghoste

I thought that laundry had its day in the sun already?

TripleBlackGator

nitrousn

Quote from: Magnumcharger on April 05, 2007, 08:51:22 PM
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Deals&Number=3403451&Searchpage=11&Main=3403451&Words=&topic=1&Search=true#Post3403451

"Absolutely, we are going to stamp the entire vehicle in the next year. finally, Mopar licensed, correct fit parts. I've also added a new email address and my ph.# 810-955-1860 CHRIS PERRY. Please visit our website at www.weracehardcore.com, Thanks."

Sounds like these guys are somewhat serious???

The jury is out on that deal. As of now they want 4,590.00 for both quarters delivered. They wont post any real pictures of the product. Something just is not right with those guys. All you get is a bunch of hype and lip service. If i was selling those quarters for that price i would have a album full of pictures available to a buyer. I got a funny feeling these are a more complete quarter than previously sold but i dont think it is equal to a oem replacement. Like i said the jury is out and when or if they decide to post a real picture i may change my mind.

mikepmcs

Yes, I agree, "something is nasty in the woodshed"

The same group is selling qtr panel stamps on ebay right now.  claiming "own piece of history" for qtr panel stamps.  what am I missing here?  if they were stamping concourse qtr panels, wouldn't they need these chrysler molds :shruggy:?

I'm not doubting they are making some aftermarket sheet metal and I want to give the benefit of the doubt by all means, but......... these are the same guys that totalled an R/T last year.  DOH!  Had to throw it in there.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Arigmaster

I am sure the prices they are going for right now have allot to do with off setting the cost of tooling. I am sure they are aware of the limited market demand based on production vs units still out there requiring the parts. Thus it is my opinion that they are looking to do a market study.

Yes, they say they will be doing other body parts in the future but will they really? At this point, they may be taking orders, or seeing the interest level by inquiry's, but no money has been exchanged yet. Has it? It may end up where they only make door skins or something based on the feedback. If the product gets the Mopar stamp of approval, I think their first buyers will be the guys doing concourse or show car restorations rather than the guy building something decent for the street or daily driver. So, I just think they are testing the market right now...

:popcrn:

nitrousn

QuoteI am sure the prices they are going for right now have allot to do with off setting the cost of tooling. I am sure they are aware of the limited market demand based on production vs units still out there requiring the parts. Thus it is my opinion that they are looking to do a market study.

I agree. Would you care to donate 4,590.00 to the study? I know i sure would not and i surely wont. A study is one thing but these guys want your money up front.

Orange_Crush

As I said on the Moparts thread, Given the RIDICULOUS amount of time it takes to get the repro patch panels (taiwanese garbage) to fit and line up right, you are only paying about 6-800 dollars more buying the full repro quarters.  That's money I'll gladly spend...especially given the fact that they are the correct gauge.  I won't, however, pay five grand for a set of quarters I can't see and touch first, so unless I see 'em at Carlisle, I won't be going home with 'em.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

nitrousn

Quote from: Orange_Crush on April 07, 2007, 10:11:09 AM
As I said on the Moparts thread, Given the RIDICULOUS amount of time it takes to get the repro patch panels (taiwanese garbage) to fit and line up right, you are only paying about 6-800 dollars more buying the full repro quarters.  That's money I'll gladly spend...especially given the fact that they are the correct gauge.  I won't, however, pay five grand for a set of quarters I can't see and touch first, so unless I see 'em at Carlisle, I won't be going home with 'em.

Thats my feeling exactly. My shop is excited to see and put them on. The sad thing is the company selling them has put the cart in front of the horse at this time.

Arigmaster

Quote from: nitrousn on April 07, 2007, 09:53:43 AM
QuoteI am sure the prices they are going for right now have allot to do with off setting the cost of tooling. I am sure they are aware of the limited market demand based on production vs units still out there requiring the parts. Thus it is my opinion that they are looking to do a market study.

I agree. Would you care to donate 4,590.00 to the study? I know i sure would not and i surely wont. A study is one thing but these guys want your money up front.

:haha:

I agree with Orange on this one too... I'd have to see them in parson before I'd shell out that kind of money...

Dodge Don

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Arigmaster on April 07, 2007, 01:45:41 PM
Quote from: nitrousn on April 07, 2007, 09:53:43 AM

:haha:

I agree with Orange on this one too... I'd have to see them in parson before I'd shell out that kind of money...
   I'll take it one step further,  I'd want to see one of these "loose hung" or" laying" on a car ready to weld with no screws or clamps holding it in place, that'll tell how well it fits and where your body lines are.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Chatt69chgr

Along these same lines, I saw in a magazine yesterday, a full page ad from Dynacorn for a complete 1967 Mustang Fastback body shell for about $16K.  I think they are the same folks that are selling the 67-69 Camaro body shell.  Those folks are for real.  Too bad they are not the ones offering the 68-70 charger body shell.   But I agree with other folks on here that whats really needed is the rear quarters and front fenders.  Plus a couple of other parts like lower rockers and maybe roofs.  I wonder if there is enough of a market for a complete body shell for the 2nd gen charger.  There are a whole lot of them out there that just need some decent replacement body panels reasonably priced.  It sounds like these guys are just testing the waters as it were.  If they get enough orders then they might tool up. Otherwise, they won't .  They did run a full page ad in one of the Mopar Magazines but the cost to do that is chicken feed compared to what its going to cost them to stamp out a whole body unless the Chinese have got this process down pat now and can do any car quickly.  I never cease to be amazed by the 1:18 scale models they make.  They are incredibly good for the miniscule amount of money they cost.  It could be the Chinese use computer driven machine tools to scan and produce the stamping dies.  If thats the case, all you need is a complete perfect car to start with.  Then let her rip.  It would be interesting if an insider could reveal exactly what process the Chinese are using to produce these body shells.  Personally, I don't need any of these parts right now but I know a lot of guys do.  It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. 

TripleBlackGator

Mike DC

I agree.  We're having discussions about whole reproduction unibodies when we can't even buy a decent set of front fenders yet.
---------------------------------------------------------

I've never understood why the repro industry wants to make that kind of jump in the first place (directly from selling panels to selling whole car bodies).
IMHO, they should tool-up replacement sections of these cars' chassis and start selling those first:

Like, imagine buying a whole "rear clip" from Year One or the Paddock:  A huge crate arrives, containing a one-piece rear floor/frame section.  It's made of original-grade metal, the individual floor/subframe sections already welded together in precise alignment just like a Dyancorn Camaro . . . It sure would beat the current process of assembling your own "rear clip" into the rusty car using a collection of cheaper-grade floor sections and re-used junkyard subframe rails. 

They could do this, and it would mean ONE set of tooling would suffice for each platform (B-body, E-body, etc.).  Seems like that would make the cost more reasonable than anything on the outer skin of the car.  And the ONE set of tooling created for each subframe rail and each floor section . . . the same pieces could be sold separately in the catalog OR used for the "subframe" assemblies . . .