News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Charger - Brake Questions

Started by Shakey, July 20, 2005, 10:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

1969 Charger R/T SE - 440 A/T - Power Disc/Drums

I recall a thread regarding the proportioning valve and the equalizer/safety valve.   It was one of those threads that had great potential but got messed up along the way.

On a '69 Charger - are there two or more types of valves for the brakes?

In the attached photo, what valve is that?   What does it do?  Is that the proportioning valve?

I have looked through my service manual and it seems quite vauge.  

I really could use some information on this as I think it is kind of important to have the brakes working properly.

Ghoste

That's a distribution block I believe.  The proportioning valve should be on that line running to the back.  It'll be down there about 10 inches and mounted on the frame rail. Just past the spot where the frame begins to kick up for the front.  Maybe.

Chryco Psycho

Shakey

Quote from: Shakey on July 20, 2005, 10:19:40 AM
1969 Charger R/T SE - 440 A/T - Power Disc/Drums

In the attached photo, what valve is that?   What does it do?   Is that the proportioning valve?

What does the distribution block do?

As far as the proportioning valve goes - where to get one?

Are they still available from Chrysler?  Anyone know what the Mopar # is for them?

Thanks again!

Chryco Psycho

they are tough to find , , the dist block just send fluid ou tthe the separte wheels , the proportioning valve limits pressure to the rear , you can replace both with a 1 piece GM unit from Inline tube

Ghoste

Unless you're doing a correct resto, I wouldn't get too hung up on the prop valve.  They were a compromise at best and the same valve was used on large variety of vehicles with differing weights and performances.  If you want to really dial in your brakes, use the adjustable one from MP.  My prop valve is still on the car and seems to still work well enough but if it goes, I won't be hunting down an original.
Oh, and the originals are no lnger available from Chrysler anyway.

Plumcrazy

I noticed the wire is not connected to the switch in the valve.  The switch turns on the brake warning light if one side of the system develops a leak.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.