News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do I "blend" the paint. AKA the tape line.

Started by 2Gunz, April 15, 2007, 12:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Gunz

I painted the car with the bumpers on... Ya dont get me started on that.

Anyway...

I had the bumpers recromed and the paint in the recessed area where the bumper kinda covers is driving me insane.

So Im attempting to repaint that area.

What is the proper way to make the paint even between the older paint and the new paint.

Basically make the tape line even and gone.

Please pretend I'm stupid and give me a step buy step detailed instruction.

I did search and there is alot of paint stuff, but not exactly what Im after.

Thanks

Charger-Bodie

if you post a pic of the excact area you are working on ill try to walk ya thru it
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Arigmaster

Without seeing a pic... I am assuming you are trying to paint an area where the bumper slightly covered an area and you have since removed the bumper so you can paint it?

If that's the case, Just scuff the area where the old paint is showing, and the overspray area just before your color coat. Clean it thouroughly with a wax and grease remover and tack it really well. Tape the area off to the rest of the car using the nearest body line but tape about 1/2" away from it. Then go up to the body line with another run of tape where it over hangs the body line just slightly (this will avoid a ridge line from the tape) and roll it back a bit away from the area you are going to paint.

Apply your color coat only to the area where it is needed. Once that is done, let it sit and when it's dry to the touch (on the tape) then remove the tape and wet sand lightly to knock down any dust or imperfections.

Finish with a couple clear coats over the blend area and let it sit overnight. Color sand and buff the next day...

Okay, thats sight unseen so post a pic... LOL

Doright

:iagree: :2thumbs: I agree,scuff, paint,  Wet sand, clear coat, wet sand and polish. 
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

Silver R/T

you have to be careful, if you just start spraying it might lift. You have to do any touch up/rework in a certain time limit. Id get product sheets and read how long you got before you can rework it
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

2Gunz

So for the delay and thanks for the help so far.

Ok so....

I laid down the paint and feathered out the tape line. Its VERY smooth but I can still slightly see it there.

They appear slighting different in color. Which I assume is because one has clear on it and the other doesnt.

Im afraid to do the the clear as of yet because I dont want to "trap" this line under the clear if I am missing something.

I suspect that the line will go away once I apply the clear.

That being said.....

I guess I should start the new clear say an inch or so past the tape line so it starts out in the old clear?

Also what PSI should I spray the clear at. Ive been painting the Base at 30 PSI (at the Gun) and it seems to like that.

Arigmaster

Without seeing how much of a ridge you have it is difficult to know if it will show or not. The best part is you got the color on without it lifting or doing anything weird over the old paint area. (That means you did excellent prep work)

As for the color difference, it could be a couple things. Some colors will fade faster than others and it may throw it off just slightly. another could be the paint it's self. Some paint stores will give you a factory pack paint and others might mix the color in house for you. Where the pigment may be the same, the metallics might be different. Most factory pack colors use silver metalic in the mix and some paint suppliers have been known to use gold metalics in their mixes.

I would have to say you need to use your best judgement on the blend line. If it is just a slight dry spray and not a sharp ridge then go for it with the clear and finist your blend out about 5" or so past the color. Do about 3 coats and color sand it a bit to knock it down over the blend line and follow up with a finish clear coat. color sand it again, (the whole area into the old paint and then go through your buffing compounds.

Another thing I have done too is on my first clear coat, I have mixed juts a touch of color into the clear just to melt the metallics together a bit. Be careful with this though so you dont get too much metallic on the surface. (I just dip the paint stick in the can without shaking it first so it picks up more color than metallic and thats all I use in the first clear coat...whats on the stick)

Everyone has their own methods for blending.. This is just wat works best for me... Also keep in mind, Most people won't notice the slight color difference unless it's really obvious.

Doright

I wouldn't get too excited about the flaws in your first couple paint jobs every one is a critic of a paint job until they paint a car!
That cures them critics real fast.

OH and by the way we need some picks!!!!!!! Lets see!
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more