News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone get "shorted" with new ACC interior carpet-UPDATE-- It Fits!!!

Started by Mfr426, September 03, 2005, 05:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Hello all! After a long hiatus (and a new baby) I am back working on my '69 SE. I could be done this car in 10 hours if I could find the time with the new addition at home. Anyway, I just finished putting in the ACC molded carpet and found that there is a gap on the left and right sides at the kick panel and in the back section where it sits under the sill plate extension. I bought this kit about 8 years ago thinking I would knock out the restoration in no time. Boy was I naive. Now I have a gap where the carpet was too short? The carpet is molded just like the factory so how could they give you so little carpet to work from on the side?? I now have to splice in a sliver of carpet and pray that is looks acceptable. Why wouldn't they just give us about 2 inches of extra carpet for us to trim?

The rubber heel pad and gas pedal all line up perfectly so the carpet is installed correctly. It's just short on the sides.

Has anyone else ever had this issue? We did my buddies 68 RT a month or two ago and his fit perfectly. It was also an ACC carpet but he bought his at a car show this summer.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike Roberts
aka
MFR426

Just 6T9 CHGR

Mike, mine that I bought about 7 years ago was "right on the money" with NO room to spare.

Maybe you can call them on it and complain a bit......maybe they can hook you up with a new one.

PS---welcome back!  :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

8WHEELER

Yeah I would think giving then a call might work, I put mine in two of my 68's six
years ago and my front black carpet was a bit short and only over lapped about 3/8
of an inch and the heal pad would not line up correctly.

Then a week later I did the tan/gold carpet in my wife's car and everything worked
out great, they probably will not admit it but everbody makes mistakes  ;D

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Nacho-RT74

I had some... it looks like insulator pad was wrong placed attached or something like that... I couldn't find what was exactly the fail but teh fact was I cut more that I need the holes to shifter and console ( I had to reattach some the areas I did cut ), and also foot dimer switch area wasn't apparently on right place.

Does somebody know if is possible to buy JUST the front half piece of carpet on ACC or any other dealer ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

8WHEELER

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on September 04, 2005, 01:45:27 PM
I had some... it looks like insulator pad was wrong placed attached or something like that... I couldn't find what was exactly the fail but teh fact was I cut more that I need the holes to shifter and console ( I had to reattach some the areas I did cut ), and also foot dimer switch area wasn't apparently on right place.

Does somebody know if is possible to buy JUST the front half piece of carpet on ACC or any other dealer ?

Boy I would think not Nacho, if so I would buy one myself to make my red 68 correct, right now with the
floor mats in its not noticiable     :scope:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

73rallye440magnum

i think my carpet is from ACC, i threw the box away already. got it from legendary. i just insatalled the rear today. it fits TERRIBLE. i hate the way it looks, i think its really shitty. sounds like others have had better luck.
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

Mfr426

Good to be back Chris. It's been quite a while since i posted. I'm so close with this car too and it just seems to be one little problem after another that keep me from moving forward.

I'm going to call ACC. I did buy it thru YO years ago and would not be surprised if they cant do a thing but it just burns me up that it is so short. Why wouldnt they make it 2" long on the sides to be cut since you dont see the edge anyway?

I'll post after I call.

thanks all.

Mfr426

phat69charger

Mfr426,

If you cut any of that carpet already they won’t take it back, plus you said it was through Year One and from a couple of years back that’s probably hopeless, but try anyway.

My upholsterer and long time friend told me about a year ago that Auto Custom Carpets had shorted him before, but he said if you don't make any cuts on the carpet and get it all dirty you can call them and send it back to them once you realize that the carpet might be short and have them send you one that you can work with, you will have to pay for shipping a carpet two more times if they will take it back.

He also said that they make the carpets on the spot most of the time when they don't have the color or type of material you request already made up, and you know there can be different workers that do the final job of cutting your carpet when it’s made, so your carpet could have been cut by Joe jackass that was having a bad day if you still have the box with shipping labels on it give them that info.

He also told me that when you order your carpet you tell them a friend of yours got a carpet from them and it was short at the door jams, and you don’t want your carpet short like your friends was, but don’t give them any information about anyone, because they will do research for that friend of yours that you make up, or you can tell them about your problem.

He tells them now, when he orders leave some extra material around the whole carpet and he will trim it down, he bugged them so much about one carpet one time, that the girl taking the order gave him the number to there supplier and the supplier said they should have it, turns out they had it, and that Joe jackass worker has left about a foot of material around the whole carpet one time, so there‘s extra to be left on.

Last thing go to an upholstery shop and buy 12 feet of jute padding to go under your carpet, it’s 28” wide cut the 12 in half then put each 6 foot piece on each side of your floor, it will raise the carpet up and get it closer to the edges.

So, Mfr426 now you know what you need to do next time you order some carpet, tell all of your friends too, because bad news travels three times faster than good news.

Mfr426

Hey Phat69, putting the jute in is a great suggestion.  My car has no padding under the carpet less what ACC puts on the carpet.

Tomorrow I'll hit my local trim shop and get some padding. I think if I can help to raise the carpet up a bit I can get the inch that I need.

Thanks for the tip.

Mike R in Reading PA

Mfr426

Thanks too all and to Phat69 for the Jute padding suggestion. It worked perfectly! I got real jute from a carpet company and lined the floor both front and back. I had to pull EVERYTHING back out to do it but when I reinstalled everything I had the spare carpet to fit around the edges.

THANK YOU PHAT69!

I appreciate all the comments. Thanks guys!

Mike R in Reading PA

phat69charger

Mfr426, Your Welcome!

My friend is an upholsterer he says that's what's suppose to be done when you install carpet in a car, tones down the road noise some too, but most people don't want to pay for the jute, and most Luxury cars have alot of padding attached to the back of the carpet, so you can do the same for any car.

Glad it worked well for you, Mfr426