News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 seat upholstering

Started by GTX, April 19, 2007, 06:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Somewhere I have an article about recovering seats on Mopars that I was going to reference but I can't find it. I've done some other cars like a '67 Mustang and a '68 Firebird but I've never done a Charger and want to get it right sooo..............

Who has done their interior?  I'm thinking of doing the rear seat first to get myself warmed up but they don't have buns. What material have people used on theirs? What weights and what yardage?

I was thinking of med to heavy weight burlap over the springs with med density foam hog ringed around the edges to protect from side chafing and then some heavier density foam over that for the padding and then the covers. If memory serves ,this is pretty much how the factory did it and how I was taught or is there a better way?

How thick of foam can I use without over stressing the vinyl seat cover and yet still have it well filled out? Any recommendations on type? I know that there is much better material available today than wayy back.
What weight of burlap if that is what I should use and how thick of padding around the edges?

mikepmcs

Dave
I can't answer most of your questions but... when I recoverd my ex fiance's 68 firebird interior(including the back seat upper and lower) I did it with the thick green foam from Jo-Ann fabrics and an electric knife.  It worked out really well and it was cheaper than the alternative, and way comfortable.  It did overlap and protect what you reference as well.

That interior came out mint and I would do it again to this day.

If the vinyl is well built you won't stress it at all.

I think it was 3 inch couch density foam.

Can't help on the burlap.

My uneducated 2 cents.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Charger-Bodie

ive done a quite a few of them but always with either new foam from ledgendary or nice original foam. if you are using orig foam a pice of commercial carpet burlap side down usually brings the foam back up ptretty nice and the new foam is VERY tight so be carful finnesing the covers on as they can tear !! ..........i hope this helps som !!...oh and by the way sprinkle a liberal amount of baby powder on the faom and work it in good before putting the covers on this help them slide alot better !!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

A guy I know who does interior restorations uses pieces of carpet between the springs and foam.

bandit67

Ok, GT, I have done several and by no means a pro. But I went to a upholstery shop and bought a few yards of material that they use on many things. I do not know the exact name but it is about 3/8 thick, kinda gray looking and seems to made of recycled material. Scissors are useless in cutting.....I use tin snips.  Place this directly over the springs. That will keep your old foam from crumbling around the springs. It also adds height to your used foam. If you have damaged spots in the buns, cut out the damage and fill with some carpet padding. Go to a carpet store and buy a piece of good quality padding , cut to fit and glue in with 3M spray adhesive.  Use a disc grinder to  shape up an area to match the contour if needed. Install your covers. The last set I installed , I placed the bench seat covers in the dryer for a few minutes to help soften them up. The cover was so big, that the fold stayed up against the back of the dryer and caused a overheated spot on the cover. Luckily for me the spot is down low on the front and  will not be seen.........so......next time I will use a hair dryer or the sun.......Good luck.......J

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bull on April 22, 2007, 02:29:57 AM
A guy I know who does interior restorations uses pieces of carpet between the springs and foam.

yo bull thats what i said too 1 post up from you
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

GTX

I wondered about carpet, I've heard of it, maybe in a thread here and it would protect better but I didn't know if it would be too bulky.

I should look into it. I like to lay the material out in the sun to loosen it up but we've been a little low on sunny days but it's supposed to warm up this next week.

bull

But don't use shag. ;D Only the real thin stuff.

bull

Quote from: 1hot68 on April 22, 2007, 07:54:30 AM
Quote from: bull on April 22, 2007, 02:29:57 AM

yo bull thats what i said too 1 post up from you

Oh, didn't see that.