News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash Removal...

Started by Rack, April 29, 2007, 11:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rack

Hello everyone, I'm removing my dash at the moment and have a few questions.

1. Probably a dumb question, but... Do I have to remove the windshield before I can remove the dash?

2. Since I'll be removing the windshield either way, where is a good place to buy a replacement? I want to save as much of the original glass as I can but the windshield is already cracked to hell and my left quarter glass is broken (I recieved the car like that).

3. Isn't removing the dash extremely fun?  :sick:

4. Since most of the wires weren't even plugged into anything, and I'm pretty sure there some "parts" missing that go under/inside the dash, I'm not bothering to take many pictures since they won't really be too helpful when I put it all back together (something tells me that'll be even more fun then dismantling/removing the dash). My question is, how much of  a b***h is it gonna be to put all that together and figure out where/how everything plugs in?

5. Been thinking of maybe building a "Custom" dash when I put everything back together... Would that be an extreme PITA for someone that has pretty much ZERO experience with cars (I confess) or would it be no more of a pain then putting it back together the way it's suppose to go? I have no way of building a numbers matching car so I figured why not put some of my own personal touch into rebuilding it? As long as I won't be in way over my head.

6. A/C, I live in South Texas and this is gonna be mainly a summer driver... and the car is gonna be black. So going w/o A/C would literally be suicide. Is there a way of buying a new A/C and integrating it into the "old" technology of the Charger? I want something that works as good as possible and as reliable as possible. Don't want to mess with some 40 year old A/C components. Basically I want the dash/console area to be as "modernized" as possible.

Thank you for your time and patience. I'm learning as I go so please bare with me.

- Rack

Rack

Just realized this should probably be in the "Electric, Guages..." Forum. Sorry about that, MOds.

Although there is a windshield question in here too so it's not all wrong. :D

Recharger

Quote from: Rack on April 29, 2007, 11:07:25 PM
Hello everyone, I'm removing my dash at the moment and have a few questions.

1. Probably a dumb question, but... Do I have to remove the windshield before I can remove the dash?
not a dumb question, but yes, you do have to remove it.  There are 6(ish) dash bolts that will probably be buried in/under some gooey black sealant below where the windshield was. There will be also be 2 others to remove, one behind each kick panel.

2. Since I'll be removing the windshield either way, where is a good place to buy a replacement? I want to save as much of the original glass as I can but the windshield is already cracked to hell and my left quarter glass is broken (I recieved the car like that).
Just call some local auto glass shops that you find in the yellow pages.  Anyone can get the glass, most can get it without screwing you on price, and a few may even have it available on hand.  I think I paid $200 for the glass AND on-site installation.  Keep in mind that's for the 'modern' tinted glass with the dark tinted band at the top, which was fine for me.  If you want the exact concourse glass with correct markings and no tinted bands, expect to pay several times that number. 

3. Isn't removing the dash extremely fun?  :sick:\
No.  I recall sitting there in the front seat trying to figure out why the dash wouldn't come loose after the bolts and adhesive had been removed.  As I sat there scratching my head, the whole thing decided to come loose.  I  have a scar on my leg to remind me of that precious memory. :P

4. Since most of the wires weren't even plugged into anything, and I'm pretty sure there some "parts" missing that go under/inside the dash, I'm not bothering to take many pictures since they won't really be too helpful when I put it all back together (something tells me that'll be even more fun then dismantling/removing the dash). My question is, how much of  a b***h is it gonna be to put all that together and figure out where/how everything plugs in?
Probably will be quite a bitch.  Regardless of what your future plans are for the dash, I think I'd recommend taking pics anyway.  You never know what you'll capture, and what you didn't know 'then' that you want to know 'now'.  Even if it isn't the wire connections, it might be fasteners, brackets, vent hoses, heater box hoses or whatever that you're trying to sort out later.  Assuming you've got a digital camera, I'd always recommend taking as many pics as possible, just in case.  Besides, even if the wires aren't connected, the routing of the wires might answer some questions later on...

5. Been thinking of maybe building a "Custom" dash when I put everything back together... Would that be an extreme PITA for someone that has pretty much ZERO experience with cars (I confess) or would it be no more of a pain then putting it back together the way it's suppose to go? I have no way of building a numbers matching car so I figured why not put some of my own personal touch into rebuilding it? As long as I won't be in way over my head.
I don't really know the answer to this one, since I just fixed up and replaced my existing harness.  I guess my gut feeling is that it's easier for us newbies to match & reinstall the existing harness than to re-create the wheel with a custom wiring system.  But, if you want to go modern/custom with your gauges, it'll probably be easier to get a Painless harness or something similar that is already designed for modern stuff.  I had originally intended to modernize my dash, but my budget and my patience ran out before my plans came together...

6. A/C, I live in South Texas and this is gonna be mainly a summer driver... and the car is gonna be black. So going w/o A/C would literally be suicide. Is there a way of buying a new A/C and integrating it into the "old" technology of the Charger? I want something that works as good as possible and as reliable as possible. Don't want to mess with some 40 year old A/C components. Basically I want the dash/console area to be as "modernized" as possible.
Yeah, there are definitely modern options available.  I can't think of the name of the company right now, but someone makes modern compressors that can mount to these engines.  This might be this company http://www.vintageair.com/ , but is seems like there's another one out there with a more mopar-friendly set up.   ???  Maybe someone else knows.  Or maybe I'm wrong about that....  My car was originally an A/C car, so I don't know anything about the conversion process, but keep in mind that it may involve cutting the firewall and the dash frame.  Aside from that, there's al kinds of vent hoses and stuff to locate too.  maybe the kits include them, I don't know.... Either way, if you're going to go as far as adding A/C, I wouldn't sweat going custom on the dash wiring.

Thank you for your time and patience. I'm learning as I go so please bare with me.

- Rack
No problem, and welcome back to the site (where'd you disappear to anyway?)  And bear with me too, considering all my answers may be wrong.... :-\  But I try to help where I can....

Rack

Thanks for the reply, Recharger. Very very helpful.

I'll have to do more research on the custom/modern dash Idea. I was even thinking of adding digital guages and stuff. It's a long way till I get to that point so I have plenty of time to decide.

I was gone for awhile cuz I got frustrated coming here but not being able to work on my car. I was about to move so any work done would of meant more crap to move to the new place. Then when I got here, I had to convert half of the 4 car garage into a den (not enough room for all my crap). So that took awhile while I built the den. During that time all my crap was in the garage (the part that stayed a garage) so I couldn't work on my car. As soon as I was able to work on the car, literally the first day I started dismantling it, I got the fenders, doors, and hood removed, then realized I had absolutely nowhere to put it all.  :brickwall: Out back we have some old horse stalls not being used so I built a shed within one of the stalls and that's where I'm storing everything. So NOW I'm finally able to get to work. Since I can work on the car now, I've come back cuz I know that when I come here and get all fired up to get to work, I can actually do so.  :yesnod:

Anyway, I checked online for those windshield wire knife thingies and they're ridiculously overpriced ($40 at harbor freight). I'll have to go borrow one tomorrow cuz I ain't paying for something I'm only gonna use once then likely end up losing it.

Going back to the custom/modern dash Idea... I'll probably make my decision on that soon cuz I have a lot of parts that I may end up selling if I go custom/modern. I'm leaning toward the custom/modern idea. If I could actually build a numbers matching car, I would, but since I can't and I want to keep this car for... ever, I might as well do it the way I want it.

Oh and since I"m back, be ready for a lot of stupid questions. :D

Thanks again

JR

check this out.

www.classicautoair.com

Good luck.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Rack

Quote from: JR on May 04, 2007, 09:43:58 AM
check this out.

www.classicautoair.com

Good luck.

Awesome, thanks!

mopar0166

Lennard

mopar0166

hey you cant say I don't research stuff before I start a new topic.   

Theres nothing wrong with using old info, we all still use the 40 plus year old service manuals