News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VIN Tag Restoration

Started by Shakey, May 03, 2007, 09:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

While in the process of restoring my car I needed to remove the dashboard and figured I might as well restore it as well.  I realize some folks choose to simply mask off their VIN tags, I chose to remove mine and restore it.  Although it may not be perfect, it now looks a lot better now than it did before.

Before I begin, let me stop the folks right now that feel the need to chime in and tell me it's illegal to remove a VIN tag etc., etc. - I don't want to hear about it because I simply don't care.  The purpose of this post is to show those that do choose to restore their VIN tags, what steps are involved and how I did mine.  If you feel the need to warn others about laws, start your own thread.  Sorry if this comes across as rude, but as mentioned, I just don't care to hear it.

Anyways, let's get started. 

As some of you may know, Chrysler used a specific rivet to affix the VIN tag to the dash.  Before I removed my tag I made sure I had a pair of these on hand.  Sure I could have used some standard rivets but I choose to use the correct ones just because that's the type of guy I am.  There is information out there that state that these rivets can be bought on e-bay for about $60.00 USD which may be true however I bought mine from a fellow in Buffalo Grove, IL for $25.00 USD.

The company is called Trim Tags, Inc. and I dealt with Joe.  Here is a link to his site:  http://www.trimtags.com/

Another item I wanted to secure prior to restoring the tag was the Chrysler logo that also appears on the tag just under the VIN number.  This was purchased through Performance Car Graphics out of Tallahassee, FL.  They tell me that the dry rub transfer is approved by Chrysler and to purchase one they needed the information on my car including the VIN, the fender tag information as well as a copy of the ownership.  They charged $10.00 USD for the dry rub transfer.

Here is a link to their site:

http://www.performancecargraphics.com/

Once the dash was out of the car, I removed the VIN tag from the dash by drilling out the rivets.  I used a drill bit much smaller than the rivets to ensure not to damage the tag.  I stripped all of the paint off of it by using a high strength furniture stripped.  The paint peeled right off and then I cleaned it with Eastwood's Pre.

I then gave the tag two light coats of Eastwood's Self-Etching Primer to ensure the flat black paint would stick properly.  Although the instructions from Performace Car Graphics suggested DupliColor Flat Black, I used what I had on hand.  I gave it about three or four light coats to ensure it was completely covered, even the edges.

After letting it dry overnight, I took the plate from the shop into the house to apply the transfer.  I had a couple of coffees that morning, plus the fact that I didn't want to monkey up my paint job and my $10.00 transfer, I was living up to my screen name.  The transfer came out pretty good, not perfect as you can see a couple of the letters got cut off but, it still looks better than it did before.

I baked it in the oven and once it cooled I took it over to the shop and over the course of the day I must have given it about six coats of the matte finish.  Once again, PGC stated to only use Krylon but I couldn't find it in three different stores.

All in all, I'm pleased with the results and I just hope I don't ruin it while re-attaching it to the dash.  I know I'll have to drop a small drip or two of flat black onto the rivets once it's attached to the dash, maybe I'll pass on the extra coffee that morning to ensure I don't ruin my efforts.

Hope this helps someone.

Shakey

:pity:

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Back N Black

Hey Shakey looks great as always. :yesnod:

Dodge Don

Hey that's illegal. I'm reporting you to the......ahh never mind  ;)

Looks great Mike.  :yesnod:

Bandit72

hey shakey, where did you get those rivets? my cars dash frame is all messed up and i have a good one out of a 71 charger i'd like to use...but i have to transfer my VIN. I've heard that the highway patrol can come out and do it, but i'd much rather just do it myself...

Thanks
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

bull

Not bad. Restoring the VIN plate may be a little too anal retentive for my liking but it still looks good. :nana:

Mine is in good shape except for the white Pentastar and letters are gone. I'll probably just give mine a good cleaning and then buy the transfer.

OttawaCharger

Thanks for this detailed post Shakey.  My tag looks terrible and I'll be using your directions to fix mine up  :yesnod:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

71_Charger_R/T

Beautiful!  Thanks for posting the link to the decal supplier. My VIN is sun baked and I was wondering how to reproduce the Chrysler logo & lettering, This will make it a lot easier!!

ck1

if your done you can start on mine :yesnod:, your  making me like green cars again............. your car  looks great shakey :scope:
CJK

resq302

Mike,  as usual..... top notch work.  You can help me restore my charger to your standards any day. :yesnod:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

purple70rt

Quote from: Shakey on May 03, 2007, 09:24:31 AM

Before I begin, let me stop the folks right now that feel the need to chime in and tell me it's illegal to remove a VIN tag etc., etc. - I don't want to hear about it because I simply don't care. The purpose of this post is to show those that do choose to restore their VIN tags, what steps are involved and how I did mine. If you feel the need to warn others about laws, start your own thread. Sorry if this comes across as rude, but as mentioned, I just don't care to hear it.

:iagree: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Well put Mike!!  I get sick of some people making a big *!@#ing deal over this stupid crap, it's your car, do what you want with it.  Tag looks great!!

Dennis K

That looks great. I thought about doing the same thing with mine, but I thought the info that PCG wanted about my car was unreasonable, so I decided to tape mine off and paint around it, leaving the VIN tag itself looking a little shabby, but that way there is no doubt that it has ever been tampered with. I figured if I bought the transfer kit from PCG, it would be mine to do with as I please, whether it be to restore my VIN tag, stick it on my tool box, or a Chevy or whatever, but I felt that my VIN # and the other info they wanted was none of their business.

mikepmcs

Mike
You should really do this for a living.  You really do some nice work.  Of course your other job seems to be pretty awesome too though whatever it is.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Shakey

Thanks for all the nice compliments folks.  Appreciate that.

Bandit - there is a link to the rivet vendor in the initial post.

towman

wow that looks great !!!

i sell those VIN tag rivets also for $25 a set if anyone needs them pm me for the details

Sweet T

Shakey, good post I just had this conversation with the body guy I'm using.  To remove or not to remove.  I thougt we should just work around the VIN.  It's good to see you can still get the rivets and the rub ect., I was under the impression I would not be able to find the correct rivets so I didn't want to touch the VIN.  PS - you're in big trouble.....you can't take the VIN off!!  ;D
No, it ain't a Hemi.....thank God!

daytonakid

I tried to buy a rub on deca for the vin tag but performance car graphics was ordered by chrysler to quit selling the rubbings. Any other sources out there Bill
Owner East Portland Auto Body www.eastportlandautobody.com

A34

Quote from: daytonakid on March 09, 2008, 01:22:30 AM
I tried to buy a rub on deca for the vin tag but performance car graphics was ordered by chrysler to quit selling the rubbings. Any other sources out there Bill

Figures, just when I needed it.  ::)
Looking for NOS parts for 69 Charger - whatcha got?
God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families !
Deo Vindice

WM23N1G1

I just had a look at the Trim Tags website. $235 to reproduce a fender tag is theft!  :flame:
I know it's a niche market, but come on, $235 for a stamped piece of metal!  :brickwall:
I know, nobody forces me to buy from them. :icon_smile_wink:

69chargerboy

Quote from: A34 on March 10, 2008, 12:50:44 AM
Quote from: daytonakid on March 09, 2008, 01:22:30 AM

Figures, just when I needed it.  ::)

Me too. Anyone know were to get the decal????
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

jerry

used the same co. 18 yrs ago.they had to have a copy of title back then.

Cncguy

Just purchased Rivets and transfer from ecsautomotive.com $53 for all

No Vin checks buildsheets or fender tag required.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Cncguy on September 08, 2014, 03:07:50 PM
Just purchased Rivets and transfer from ecsautomotive.com $53 for all

No Vin checks buildsheets or fender tag required.

Sounds like it was $18.00 more :shruggy:

68pplcharger