News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VIN Tag Restoration

Started by Shakey, May 03, 2007, 09:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparnation74

I did not remove my Vin Plate from the dash but restored it as listed above.  I ordered the Chrysler decal from www.ecsautomotive.com.
Very easy to do and looks brand new.

68pplcharger

Thanks for starting this thread Shakey my VIN plate turned out awesome.

Shakey

Quote from: 68pplcharger on December 05, 2014, 09:12:53 AM
Thanks for starting this thread Shakey my VIN plate turned out awesome.

Agreed - turned out great - no problem!   :cheers:

500Jon

Great work!

Once PC Plod sees vin tags in black with logos on, he's gonna be confused?
He thinks they is all bright shiny stainless with no logo!!! :smilielol:

Think you should rub all that nice paintwork back off before we all end up at Alcatraz! :cheers:

DayJona
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

GeneralLee440

I know this is an old thread but thanks for the info on how to do this and find the rivets
Anthony

1970 Dodge Charger...Future General Lee

Gregory

Breathing new life into an old thread but it was very helpful. My dash frame needed some repair so I decided to restore the tag. Follow the steps and wait the few days recommend to let each coat dry. I went searching for the krylon 1311 and it turned out great.

green69rt

One more source.  I used them with good results.

http://www.datatags.com/

Gregory

Agreed.. I had them make me up a new fender tag. They do great work.

JMF

Almost bought a cheap-ish 69 RT the other week but walked away because of the custom made vin , would you guys have walked away too ? It's still for sale but not advertised but I think the vin would bother me

Gregory

Yeah.. there is certainly something up with that vin tag. For sure home cut and stamped... wrong rivets.. wrong size/font on the stampings as well.

Looks like a 1969 Charger R/T 440 built at the Hamtramck plant, of the vin number is real. Hard to say if you walk depending on what you want the car for? Make a ratty beater driver or show room restore. Also is there a fender tag to back up the homemade vin is right? Stampings on rad support or deck lid? .. clean title or history of registration? If the only issue is at some point the dash was removed and sold/lost? ...it's for sure not ideal but a Charger is a Charger. Would never get good money after it's restored with that tag, or before. I'd be skeptical for sure. Would need every other piece of documentation/stamping/fender tag/title/build sheet to be there to consider it.

JMF

Thanks the car is in the U.K. and it's already been restored

green69rt

Quote from: Gregory on February 06, 2021, 05:46:53 PM
Yeah.. there is certainly something up with that vin tag. For sure home cut and stamped... wrong rivets.. wrong size/font on the stampings as well.

Looks like a 1969 Charger R/T 440 built at the Hamtramck plant, of the vin number is real. Hard to say if you walk depending on what you want the car for? Make a ratty beater driver or show room restore. Also is there a fender tag to back up the homemade vin is right? Stampings on rad support or deck lid? .. clean title or history of registration? If the only issue is at some point the dash was removed and sold/lost? ...it's for sure not ideal but a Charger is a Charger. Would never get good money after it's restored with that tag, or before. I'd be skeptical for sure. Would need every other piece of documentation/stamping/fender tag/title/build sheet to be there to consider it.

Just like everything else I have taken off of my car, my original tags all get saved.  Never, ever, ever throw anything away!

Gregory

Agreed! Same here... I've never thrown anything away from my car. I had a new fender tag made but have retained the original one and is in a frame  with what was left of my build sheet.

I think his question was would you run away from the car with the obviously home made vin tag, short anwser was yes unless everything else was legitimate and the price was rock bottom low.

If it's restored with that tag in the UK and you're in the states I'd say leave it over seas.  :Twocents:

arcticcharger

There's a white 69 runner at Volocars for sale.  A nice car but a few things wrong with the resto.  The worst part was the VIN tag.  That's a lot $$ for a car with the vin tag riveted like.  :eek2: