News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Picked up the Daytona wing braces from the fab shop.

Started by hotrod98, September 14, 2005, 11:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

For those of you that ordered the Daytona wing braces, I picked them up from the fab shop this morning.
I'm very impressed. They look great. They are laser cut, so the holes look like factory
I'll get some time to weld them in a couple of days and then get them painted.
Hopefully they will be coming your way sometime next week.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Old Moparz

Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

triple_green

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

PocketThunder

awe shucks!  i missed the order.  do you have an extra set by chance? 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BigBlockSam

nice job larry. they look great from here.  :boogie:

started the rear plug today. as mat dillion would say,  there's work to be done
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

Rene,
Did you notice your original set of braces sitting beside the copies in the pic? Safe and sound. lol 
I was a little worried as to what kind of job that they would do, but I have to say that I'm impressed. These guys are very professional. They build a lot of parts for several of the factories around here, Rheem, Whirlpool, Trane and several other big name companies. We just might have to find something for these guys to make for us later on.

PocketThunder,
I might have one set left over, but I'm not sure. I started to have some extra sets made, but since this was a non-profit type deal, I  hated to have $ invested in parts collecting dust. Also, my wife may change her mind and want a Superbird clone instead of a Daytone clone, so I may sell her wing and braces later on as well. When I ordered my wing, she decided to order one as well. It may hinge on how nice of a car we find for the cloning. I think that I've found a set of fenders and hood for the bird and the guy is an expert at converting them since he's owned several birds over the years. My wife wasn't very happy when I told her that I might borrow her hemi from her chal convert for my Daytona clone though, so I'm in the doghouse now as it is. I have to keep her happy at all times.  ;D
I'll let you know about the braces.

Charles Addams

Daytona Guy

PocketThunder

Quote from: Daytona Guy on September 14, 2005, 05:12:24 PM
Your Awesome man.

:2thumbs:both you guys are awesome.   :smash:i wish i could find a way to have a batch of nose cones made to help out.....
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BigBlockSam

hey Larry
  i knew you would take care of my originals. your a good man. and your doing something nice for alot of people. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

thallium

Yes, thanks larry. I can't wait to get them. :)   Also thanks to you Rene for letting him borrow them.  Like I said before, we have a little daytona mafia family  :icon_smile_tongue:

hotrod98

Mike,
You better hurry, other guys are hoping to get your set.  ;D
I didn't order any extras and my wife told me tonight that they're not getting her set.
I'll start welding them in a couple of days. Hope to get them out some time next week.
I've been busy buffing the parts for my wife's chal convert and the  hemi GTX that I'm painting.
First time that I've worked on two hemi cars at one time. The chal is a clone, but the GTX is the matching numbers real deal. Wish it was mine. :devil:

Charles Addams

hotrod98

The wing braces are officially painted.
I should be able to ship some of them out by Wednesday.
Here's a pic of the braces in the paint booth along with a few gtx parts.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

i can;t wait to have that kinda space to work on my projects.  i'm looking foward to installing the braces and reinstalling the wing. i took it  off to install the plug. Rene

BigBlockSam

thanks thallium, my pleasure
   i'm glad i could help some of my charger buddies round up the parts they need to build there wing cars. man! i luv winged cars. Rene

hotrod98

In case you guys didn't see my note in the other thread, most of the wing braces went out on Thursday 09/23/05 by UPS ground. I ran out of boxes...stupid UPS. You would think that in a city of over 250,000 people that the UPS place would keep more than 7 boxes.
Dane's 2 sets will go out on Monday as will Joe's set. Everyone else should start getting them around Tuesday or Wednesday.
My wife has the tracking numbers so if I can remember to get them from her, I'll send the info to you guys by e-mail.
Let me know what you think of the braces. They're actually broke up a little more square than the factory pieces. The epoxy went on nice, but the semi gloss urethane was a b*tch. Too many being painted at one time. I should have done them in two paint sessions and hung them a little further apart. Live and learn. I think they will look fine though. I tend to be a little too picky. I picked out the worst two sets and kept them for myself. I won't need mine for a while and will have plenty of time to reshoot them later along with other parts being painted.
Enjoy.

Charles Addams

triple_green

Larry,
These are really nice!!  Thanks  a lot man!!!

Mark
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

BigBlockSam

hey Larry
  the originals are back home and so is the other set. they where delivered in two seperate ups trucks. pretty funny. thank you for painting my originals, they look great. you did a kick ass job on these. very nice. Rene

xs29j8Bullitt

It is good to see quality reproduction parts done... If you decide to run another batch, let me know... Some friends and I might be interested in a couple of sets for some clone cars.  BTW, what was the selling price?  Also, do you have any plans to do other wing car parts?...  My email address is:  xs29j8@charter.net

Allen
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

hotrod98

The original purpose of doing these wing braces was because I needed a set for my daytona clone and my wife needed a set for her superbird clone (she was gong to go daytona but found a nice satellite). The cost of just doing two sets was very high. More than just buying a set from Janek. I asked if anyone else needed a set and if I could get ten people together, we could have them made a lot cheaper. It was a break even deal at $70.00 per set and that was with me welding them myself. Since I was priming and painting my sets, I went ahead and painted everyone else's as well. I know of a guy that is looking into making superbird and daytona parts in the future. He will probably only make fiberglass parts using marine resin. If he goes forward with the idea, I will post the info here. At that time I may build more sets of the braces. Basically to answer your question, I really don't have the time to make more of the braces until I get a few of my customer's cars and a couple of my cars finished.

Charles Addams

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 29, 2005, 11:53:05 PM
The original purpose of doing these wing braces was because I needed a set for my daytona clone and my wife needed a set for her superbird clone (she was gong to go daytona but found a nice satellite). The cost of just doing two sets was very high. More than just buying a set from Janek. I asked if anyone else needed a set and if I could get ten people together, we could have them made a lot cheaper. It was a break even deal at $70.00 per set and that was with me welding them myself. Since I was priming and painting my sets, I went ahead and painted everyone else's as well. I know of a guy that is looking into making superbird and daytona parts in the future. He will probably only make fiberglass parts using marine resin. If he goes forward with the idea, I will post the info here. At that time I may build more sets of the braces. Basically to answer your question, I really don't have the time to make more of the braces until I get a few of my customer's cars and a couple of my cars finished.

Thanks for the reply...  I haven't been watching the forum too closely lately, and missed the posts.  The parts would be for long term projects, so are not needed anytime soon.  As a last resort I would go with fiberglass parts, but prefer metal parts.

In the mean time, I have all the wing related parts for my Daytona and Superbird.  I also have the cast Daytona wing done by a friend and an original Superbird wing for use on future clone cars.

Thanks again for the reply...

XS

Here are pictures of my Aero MoPars:

BigBlockSam

those aero car pics just gave me the first chubby of the day  :drool5:

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 30, 2005, 01:26:02 PM
those aero car pics just gave me the first chubby of the day   :drool5:

:o  :lol: I know what you mean... but that's just wrong!...  :nono:

XS

472 R/T SE

:drool5: :2thumbs:  xs29, what a collection.  You're my new hero!

Charger_Fan

Quote from: AllBlueRT on September 30, 2005, 02:58:59 PM
:drool5: :2thumbs:   xs29, what a collection.   You're my new hero!
Damn, I've been booted from hero status once again. :cryin:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: AllBlueRT on September 30, 2005, 02:58:59 PM:icon_smile_tongue:
:drool5: :2thumbs:   xs29, what a collection.   You're my new hero!

Thanks, but you might postpone my hero status until I have the cars fully restored...  :-[

Charger Fan, being a hero can be so fleeting... but you might re-apply now...  :icon_smile_tongue:

I did not mean to hi-jack the thread... Sorry... I am normally so  :angel:

BTW, the Superbird is a 440 w/4Spd... the Daytona a 440 w/Auto... the Charger 500 a 440 w/4Spd... no Hemis in the aero cars...  :P

XS