News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Silver R/T body work

Started by Silver R/T, May 12, 2007, 07:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

Well I had some time after work to start replacing my 1/4, or so I thought. Ive got more bodywork to do than what's expected. From what I can see Ill need trunk extension also as its bent and is separated from out wheel house. I was debating to leave top of the 1/4 or not but after seeing bondo over 1/2" in some places I've decided to cut it all off.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

some more pics.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

how is the corner cap connected? I dont see spot welds, how do I cut them out. left one isn't bad so Id like to save it. The right one looks like got too much bondo.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

moparguy01

i second that, just buy a whole new one. while you make the order get the new extensions for the trunk as well. If you dont have a full 1/4 yet, buy it, wait for it to get there, then hold it up against the body with duct tape and make a line. then cut an inch or so below that line. Use a peice of tape to cut a straight line.then hang it from there. I think you need a whole new 1/4 and everything.

Silver R/T

Ive got 1/4 already. Ive ordered one from Legendary, not the $2500 one. Im ordering top of the 1/4 from someone else.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

moparguy01

then why leave so much of the 1/4? looks like you left the bottom edge, which is something that would need to be replaced. you gotta drill or grind out all the spot welds along that bottom edge, otherwise you either have to put the new 1/4 over top of it, or the new 1/4 has to be cut up from the bottom and give you another seam to weld to, which really isnt worth the hassle to have old metal on the very bottom edge just begging to be rusted out.

Silver R/T

well this is the way I do it, and many other body shops and teachers do it at local college and body shops. Just take die grinder and cut out the bulk of the 1/4 and then you can work around that left over from BOTH sides with air chisel, prying it off as you drill out/grind off spot welds. That's the plan anyways :) will keep you guys updated

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

Quote from: dads_69 on May 13, 2007, 12:52:08 AM
Silver, stop before you go any further. Do it correctly now or you'll have more rust issues possibly next year or two years from now by staying with your rusted areas you have now and not replacing them. Its either fix it the correct way now or sell it to someone who can. Gees dude, I thought you had an idea of what it took to repair cars, in body shop lingo, your hacking it out.
Mark

Im replacing all the sheetmetal dude, chill, read my previous posts ;)

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

what is wrong that Im doing? Please explain

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

Quote from: dads_69 on May 13, 2007, 07:55:00 PM
Put a full quarter panel on it, yours is going to take you to much to save it. And as for that rear corner piece, buy a new won. Once again, aren't you a full fledged body tech? Your questions here are very questionable to a few of us. Your experience is not what you lead many of us to believe apparently. Good luck w/your restoration.
If you do decided to sell it cause you lose interest in it, I'd go 2 grand cash for your car minus the wheels.
Mark

1. I am putting a full quarter on it, read the previous post ^^^^
2. Thanks for the offer, for 2K Ill give you the 1/4 that I cut off :)
3. Rear corner piece is not rusted, it might be reused as the aftermarket ones are very bad repro and need extensive work to fit properly. Most likely right one will be replaced as it IS rusted.
4. Have a nice day.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Charger-Bodie

:stirthepot: ill give ya 3000.00 cash
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

moparguy01

ya I wasnt too clear of that part myself. you mentioned you had the 1/4 but were getting the top part of it from a seperate supplier? I guess I'm confused why you dont get a full 1/4, that way you have 1 less weld line? Maybe we're just not understanding what exactly your saying here Silver. care to elaborate?

Silver R/T

maybe if you donate $2000 for repro full quarter panel Ill hang it on my Charger. :)

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mikepmcs

What is wrong with what silver is doing...it looks right to me.  Someone please explain.

Mark, explain the hacking please in terms I can understand.  I know you know what you are doing, i'm still trying to learn.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

moparguy01

the hacking part is how he's removing it really. at least me. I just really hope he doesnt need that old 1/4 for a pattern of anything. cause its pretty much worthless right now. Also, you want as little welding as possible. welds make heat, heat distorts panels. So the more heat, the worse the chance of warpage. see what i'm saying here? what it looked like originally was that he hacked the center of the panel out, leaving that lower edge. I've never heard of anybody doing it the he is, every bodyman i've ever heard of drills out the spot welds or grinds them off (grind the welds instead of cutting them if you arent trying to save the panel) Now he's saying he has a second panel for the top section, which means he's going to have a weld the length of the 1/4, and chargers have LOOONG 1/4 panels. plus a second long weld, plus the weld on the bottom.

Like i said though, it looked like he was saying that lower lip of the 1/4, which would mean he had a extra weld the length of the 1/4. If he had that many welds he'd probably need as much body filler as what you can see in the pics above. also it looks like the trunk extension is shot, and probably the outer wheel well housing. again I cant see much without being there in person.

I guess both myself and Mark see it as being hacked up bad, and no offense silver, but I sure hope you can get it back together right.

Heck2G14

Silver you are doing it the right way. They are just misunderstanding that you are removing the bulk and will get edges with air chisel. Much better way then attempting the edges with the mass still connected.  Good luck

Charger1973

I dont know bodywork so my opinion is just from observations but it looks like you are doing it the right way, just maybe not removing it the same way as the guys who are used to doing it all the time.  This stuff is a challenge to figure out when you havent done it before.  The only things I would do differently is buy full 1/4s and I would have waited until the new panels arrived like mentioned above so you know where to make your cuts.  Anyway im sure it will work out fine if you take your time. 

Charger1973

Oh and one more thing I wanted to mention.  If they need it, you might want to think about replacing the rocker panels while you are doing the 1/4s.

dads_69

No miss understanding here at all. Been tearing cars/trucks apart for over twenty years, theres a right way to do it and wrong way. Both in tear down and repair. Silver, if you worked me at my shop, you would be fired. Your going to ruin that quarter by welding two separate wons together like you have planned. Yes, I can send you two grand for a full panel, but that better include a title along with your car when I do. Listen to what Russ said also. We're realy trying to help you do this correctly, but you seam to be set on doing a quickie repair vs long term.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Silver R/T

Quote from: Heck2G14 on May 13, 2007, 11:09:16 PM
Silver you are doing it the right way. They are just misunderstanding that you are removing the bulk and will get edges with air chisel. Much better way then attempting the edges with the mass still connected. Good luck

thanks, exactly what Im doing. Two other parties seem like had too much to drink this weekend.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

moparguy01

no, i havent had anything to drink this weekend actually. Pain killers for the broken kneecap I had surgery on forbid it. It just like mark said, theres a right way and a wrong way. and like I said, I just sure hope you dont need that old panel for any sort of pattern, cause you just destroyed it removing it in multiple peices.

I'm still waiting to find out if your welding that 1/4 to a seperate top peice. and how you intend to do that without ruining it.

Silver R/T

rear valance, will also be replaced. It looks like I have to drill out welds where its connected to the taillight panel as it sits behind it. I will be ordering trunk extension also. Outer wheelhouse is fine, just surface rust on it, everything will be sandblasted inside of there before its painted. Left corner cap will be replaced also for sure. I will be using weld through primer on mating surfaces. More pics will follow as I go through it.
Btw "dads 69" there's not enough money you could pay me to work for you, you seem like you're an asshole and think that anyone else but you is not qualified to work on cars. Ive got job that pays my bills/mortgage and even some $$ is left over for my toys. Thanks for the offer. :scratchchin:

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

moparguy01

sorry to say it but my boss woulda fired ya for doing it that way too.

Silver R/T

its not how you do it, it's how it is when its done that's all that matters.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

moparguy01