News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 hidden headlights

Started by 280bb0, May 20, 2007, 08:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

280bb0

Need Help!! headlight motor works 1 or 2 times then wont, unplug it and open doors then plug it back in and the same thing any suggestions
also when they do Shut seem to slam shut I did notice that when i took the motor out that one door stayed open half way the other shut can a new spring be found? or can i do something to the spring to make it stronger. also a clicking noise can be heard inside when i go to turn headlights on could the relay be going ???

bordin34

First, clean all your contacts with steel wool, then check other things.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Plumcrazy

If you are going to remove the switch plate make sure the motor in at the mid point of it's travel to avoid damaging the switches. Wouldn't hurt to lube the gears at that time also.

Possibly there is too much drag on the motor.  The clicking you are hearing is most likely the circuit breaker cycling because the motor hasn't moved which overloads the circuit breaker.

The two most common problem with those motors is the lower bushing rusting to the armature shaft or the thrust bearing at the bottom of the armature.
I would first try putting the motor in a vise upside down and working some rust penetrant into the lower bushing. If you can move the knob on the bottom of the motor in and out a little bit the the shaft is not rusted to the bushing.

If the thrust bearing is bad then the motor will have to come apart.  If you want to try that yourself let me know.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

280bb0

knob at the bottom does move in and out a little took it appart and all is clean and no rust knob will spin to openand close doors I will steel wool the contact parts . I thought i read that the light relay could cause this but not sure thanks for the response back trying do all that i can before going out and spend the money for a new motor!!!

Plumcrazy

A fingernail file would probably be the best thing to use to clean the switches, especially if you have the old style switch plate.

Is the problem just with the doors opening?  Or do they sometimes not want to close also?

If you want to upgrade the headlight door relay to a modern one here's the directions.
http://1970chargerregistry.com/70messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=2070&highlight=headlight+door+relay

280bb0

only happens when opening then I turn lthe lights off they shut but will not open. I then unplug the motor plug it back in and it starts all over again. is the relay located at the light switch on the dash ?? or is it by the motor that i cant see !! Thanks Brian

Plumcrazy

Quote from: 280bb0 on May 20, 2007, 01:03:24 PM
only happens when opening then I turn the lights off they shut but will not open. I then unplug the motor plug it back in and it starts all over again. is the relay located at the light switch on the dash ?? or is it by the motor that i cant see !! Thanks Brian

I'm not sure where the relay is in 3rd gen cars but I would look just above the parking brake pedal first.  Thats where they are on a 70.

Because you're having a problem just with the headlights opening, that makes it more likely you have a bad thrust bearing in the motor.  When the motor is raising the headlight doors the armature is forced downward against the thrust bearing.  When the rollers come out of the bearing you end up with two flat washers being forced together which causes a lot of drag on the motor.   When the headlights are turned off the armature moves upward away from the bearing so it works fine in that direction.

280bb0

cleand the motor up and also all connections headlights are now working!!!! thanks for all the help ;D