News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What needs to be done to run E-85 Fuel?

Started by cudaken, September 15, 2005, 04:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudaken

Troy, may be this thread should be moved but I started it here so more will see it.

I sort of have a idea what E-85 fuel is. What I know is it fuel that is 85% alcohol made from corn I think. What need to be done to a car if anything to run this fuel. Mainly think about it for my daily driver 91 Daytona and the wifes and maybe the wifes Town Car. All for using less foreign fuel and cleaner emmission's as long as it not my old Mopar'e. ;D

I know for people that race's alcohol cars they need speical fuel lines, higher compression and carburetors does this apply to the E-85 fuel as well?

More than likely with out 14 to 1 compresson I would lose some power and mileage but should make that up in lower fuel cost.

Can you switch back and forth between normal gas and E-85?

On the blowen 440, pretty sure carbs would need work, but the cut down on power, well that might not be a bad idea. ;D

Anyone run it from this site and have any information on it?

Cuda Ken
I am back

MoparYoungGun

az69rtcharger

Here is the official site for E85;   http://www.e85fuel.com/index.php
The good thing is that its 105 octane and good for the enviornment

az69rtcharger

Can a vehicle be converted to operate on E85?

Response:

This is a common question that is asked of the National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition. Unfortunately, there is no simple answer. In the strictest sense, yes, a vehicle that was designed to operate on unleaded gasoline only could be converted to operate on E85. Realistically, no, a vehicle cannot be converted to operate on E85. Here’s why!

During the 1980s and early 1990s, many small companies were formed that were altering gasoline powered vehicles to operate on other forms of fuels such as propane, compressed natural gas, 85% ethanol, and 85% methanol. The marketing program of these conversion company’s was based on the premise that it was cheaper to operate a vehicle on alternative fuels. However, the vehicles being converted were engineered, designed and built to operate on unleaded only. Shortly after the emergence of the “conversion firms” the U.S. EPA determined that when converted from gasoline to another form of fuel, the exhaust emissions from these converted vehicles were often much “dirtier” than prior to conversion. See explanation regarding EPA Memo 1A. The use of alternative fuels in the transportation sector has been built around the objectives of using cleaner, non-gasoline based components.

Based on the federal authority provided to the EPA through the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990, the EPA implemented regulations that required the exhaust emissions from vehicles converted to run on alternative fuels be “as clean as the exhaust emissions of the original gasoline equipment.” That is, if Ford Motor Company manufactured a vehicle to meet federal emissions standards on gasoline, a company converting that vehicle to operate on propane, must be able to certify that the emissions from the converted vehicle was a good as the original. A process to certify such aftermarket equipment was initiated and ultimately, few if any conversion kits were able to qualify.

Today, 99.9% of the vehicles that are capable of operating on alternative transportation fuels are produced by the original equipment manufacturers such as Ford, Honda, General Motors, and DaimlerChrysler. Engineers from these companies are able to design and build vehicles that meet the EPA exhaust emission standards. These companies also are required to warranty the exhaust emissions from these vehicles for 10 years of 100,000 miles, something very few conversion companies are able to accomplish.

Is it possible to convert a vehicle that was designed for gasoline to operate on E85? Yes. However, there are no conversion or aftermarket parts that have been certified by the EPA as meeting the standards to maintain clean exhaust emissions. Technically speaking, converting a vehicle that was designed to operate on unleaded gasoline only to operate on another form of fuel is a violation of the federal law and the offender may be subject to significant penalties. No aftermarket conversion company has taken the initiative to certify an E85 kit that would allow a gasoline vehicle to operate on 85% ethanol.

The differences in engine size, fuel injector size, air-fuel ratio, PCM calibrations, OBD, material composition of fuel lines, fuel pumps, and fuel tanks, and other part issues among the millions of vehicles on the nation’s highways, all contribute to making an E85 conversion extremely complex. Additionally, the production of vehicles from the original equipment manufactures that are capable of operating on unleaded gasoline or E85, (ie. Flexible fuel vehicle) at no additional cost over the gasoline only model, provide little incentive for a conversion company to undertake the very expensive and time consuming task of aftermarket certification.

KMPX2

MoparYoungGun

Quote from: KMPX2 on September 15, 2005, 11:47:26 PM
Can you even get it where you live?
I don't know if that was direct at me but, here in Saint Paul, MN we can get it :yesnod: .