News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Your Health An Alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by sharpspike, September 15, 2005, 10:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharpspike

just thought id put a health alert out for everybody that doing there own bodywork and painting.

I'm battling a disease called Idiopathic autoimmune hemolytic anemia its bassically my red blood cells blowing up to early and fast. this causes extreme shortness of breath, fatigue, jaundice, rapid heart beat. ( in other words a good time ) idiopathic means no known cause. but in doing some research i found chemical's ( many in the paint products we use) can trigger this or some form of it. the treatment for it is a form of chemotherapy. the good news is its responding to the treatment, the last option it to remove the spleen.

that said,  iv been religious in wearing my resperator for painting, but probally not as religious for grinding, spot priming, welding, all the other things we do when restoring our cars.

just thought id give you guys something to think about, and maybe more of a reason to take care of yourselves when you working on your cars.
i think we should make a health sticky for the top of this page if somebody could.

Rocky

I have an instructor who worked on tankers (shipping style) for 15 years.  He had to quit 10 years ago, because his Benzene levels were too high.  10 years later, his levels are still too high to work on a ship.

4402tuff4u

How about the spray bombs (aerosol cans), are they as toxic too? Just asking because I'm in the process of restoring my Charger's grill, engine accessories and misc. interior components and I find myself not putting on a mask to paint all those small pieces. I do not weld that often so I'm not really concern of the gases when welding. I know you have to be careful when welding galvanized steel.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

41husk

I need to start wearing a mask, Hope every thing works out for you!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

sharpspike

440 if you read Rocky's post you'll see he mentioned benzene, the problem is there seems to be some form of that in everything. i just know from now on its not going to be an inconvenience to protect myself better.

not saying this is the cause, but have done 4 restorations in the last year, and thought i was tougher than and damn dust, gas or chemical.

JimShine

I made a living refinishing musical instruments. I used mainly lacquers and polyurethanes. Last year I had some signs the fumes were getting to me. I wore a mask for protection during painting, it was the curing time slow release of fumes that started getting to me. Since I have cut it all out and I am better, but really afraid to go back to painting full time.

Drop Top

Rattle can paint is not good for you eather. But not as toxic as a urethane. To be safe you should always wear a good quality mask. Not the cheap dust masks, but the good ones. Remember when not in use they need to be stored in an air tight plastic bag. They come in one when you buy it. One more thing to remember. They are only good for 8 Hours of exposure. That means 8 hours out of the air tight bag. NOT 8 hours of it on your face. This is a big misconception that needs to be realized. If the bag gets even the smallest hole in it. Replace the bag right away! You only have one set of lungs protect them. The good masks run around $25.00 or $30.00. I use the ones made by 3M.

Ghoste

Benzene is one of the worst carcinogens out there and as mentioned, it's pretty common.

sharpspike

UPDATE:

red blood cells back up in range, hopefully they will stay there. looks like ill be back to " normal " :drool5: in a couple weeks.

once again guys stay SAFE :Twocents:

:drive:

sharpspike

gonna bump this and let it run down page one again before it disappears into the dark reaches.

last word   :RantExplode:= PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT USE IT!!!!!!!! :yesnod:     OR       :drool5: :cryin: :iamwithstupid: :nutkick: :puke: :scared:

the smiley's say it all

oh yea if the above smiley's dont scare you, i got this test several time too   :moon:     ouch! wrong way!!!!!!!