News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

when is dissent unpatriotic?

Started by RD, May 26, 2007, 11:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

Now, hopefully you whacked out liberals and conservatives can keep your egos in check on this, but I doubt it, so if a mod kills this thread, then oh well, but let us give a try at some civil deliberation for a change shall we?

I have always wondered why it is that when someone says they believe the Iraq War is a quagmire and feels that it should be abandoned that they are labeled as unpatriotic or, worse, do not support the troops.  Is it possible that by saying the Iraq War is a quagmire and should be abandoned that it "is" actually supporting the troops?  I mean, when you support someone and care about them, would you want them to be put into harms way?  By abandoning the war in Iraq, would this not save thousands of lives of American soldiers/sailors/airmen/marines?  Could this not be seen as support for the livelihood of these individuals so that they may live long and fruitful lives with their families?

I know I may sound "Andy Rooney'ish" with this thread, but in this crazy little world that we call Earth, why must everything be labeled as either yin or yang, black or white?  The extremes in life make up such a small population of all the moderate majority, yet it is the minority that often causes laws to be written and policy to change.

I am not asking individuals to change their beliefs, but rather at least remove the horse blinders for a while (whatever side you are on) and actually attempt to see another's viewpoint without instantly assuming your beliefs are all that anyone should matter.  The old saying "everyone has a right to their own opinion, as long as it agrees with mine" is not valid anymore.  It is a digressive and negative viewpoint that will only allow our great country to fall to the wayside in regards to humanity and the commonwealth.

I most definitely support the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, and wherever there is a servicemember serving abroad away from their family.  I know what it feels like, I have been there.  My version of support is through dissent to the current foreign policy.  Not because I want to empower the terrorists, militia, or extreme islamic factions, but rather because I want these troops home and safe.

Terrorists, shiite militia, or extreme islamic factions find things, no matter what they are, to scream jihad and to push for their movement.  To state that those who are against the war are against our troops is a fanciful attempt at connecting two things only to promote the pro-war movement in my opinion.

If we would all just step outside of our 6 hour bubble for a good week and looked at as much as possible in order to develop an original thought, I believe our egos may be left to the wayside and we can all get a long a little better.  Idealistic?  Oh hell yeah, but man, if I do not try and do what my signature says, then why am I here?

Now let the deliberation begin.  I hope that if you say something negative or just completely assholish, the mods will strike your post down with the fury of Zeus during a tempest! :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Telvis

I had a long response but I deleted it. It's not worth the argument.

The people who are fighting deserve to be supported. They have volunteered to fight in a war they believe is right. I will support them to the fullest extent.

You can dissent. When you do please think about the men and women who have fought and died so that you have the right to do so.

Happy Memorial Day....God Bless America!

:patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

TheGhost

It becomes unpatriotic when you aim your words not at the war itself, but at the soldiers who are ordered to fight it.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Vainglory, Esq.

Blanket labeling anti-war people unpatriotic is just heuristics.  Like anything else in the world of politics, such labels are surprisingly devoid of rational thought.

Charger1973

Quote from: TheGhost on May 27, 2007, 12:00:45 AM
It becomes unpatriotic when you aim your words not at the war itself, but at the soldiers who are ordered to fight it.

:iagree: