News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

R/T taillights on a 73/74 rear bumper

Started by Charger1973, June 01, 2007, 09:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger1973

Have any of you guys had problems mounting R/T lights to your 73/74 rear bumpers?  Mine dont line up right with the factory mounting holes.  They bolt in fine but sit a little crooked.  Is this a common problem or is my bumper just out of whack?  Id just like to know before I decide whether to try and redrill the holes or change to another bumper.

Mo Power

Well see I didn't know if they would fit either so thats why I found a 71 bumber from the junkyard nearby so when i get the  R/T lights I wouldnt run into any problems.
1973 Charger SE
1972 Roadrunner-1 of 34 power sunroofs                                
          Crazy colors, Wacky decals, and Massive engines
                      That's what Mopars alll about

Charger1973

Quote from: Mo Power on June 01, 2007, 11:38:44 PM
Well see I didn't know if they would fit either so thats why I found a 71 bumber from the junkyard nearby so when i get the  R/T lights I wouldnt run into any problems.

They fit in the bumper just fine, I just dont like the way they are lining up because if the mounting holes.  Just curious if its a known issue or not...  It wouldnt take much to redrill the holes if I need to do it or I have other bumpers I can switch to also if this ones just off somehow.   :scratchchin:

Nacho-RT74

is kinda weird since fits apparently good in center.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

BMOTOXSTAR

You need the 71'-72' rear bumper. Same thing happened on a 73' I had. The front grills did the same thing when I tried it. :yesnod:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Mo Power

Well the front grill for 71's they just have different brackets to hold in grill and I'm sure you could switch brackets but I have no clue never have taken off my rear bumper what you would need. Because I ran into that problem when I was putting in 71 grills the brackets for the 73's weren't as deep as a bracket so I just got rid of the 73 bumper to make it easier and just went with the whole 71 bumper and grills.
1973 Charger SE

ACUDANUT

When you guys where switching bumpers, did you trade out bumper brackets ??  That is a pain, because the bumper bolts all want to spin out of their square slots, and you end up having to buy new ones. 

Mo Power

Well I bought new bumper bolts for front and rear and good thing I did cause I needed to melt one off the front to even get the front 73 bumper off because it being so rusted. But I need new front bumper brackets that hold up the bumper itself cause the ones I have are a little melted from trying to get the bumper off.
1973 Charger SE

Charger1973

I am using 71/72 rear brackets on mine.  The fronts are the stock 73 brackets. 
I use a dremel with a reinforced cut-off wheel to get in there and cut the stubborn bolts from the back side. It works great.  I used it to remove the brackets for the rubber filler too, since I done need those anymore.