News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Daytona Clone project UPDATE WITH PICS !!!

Started by Daytona R/T SE, June 04, 2007, 09:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona R/T SE

It's been awhile since I posted any pictures of my Daytona R/T SE clone project.

I've been busy the last few months...

Daytona R/T SE

more pics...

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

BigBlockSam

wow! that looks great!  your moving rite a long.  :2thumbs:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

daytonalo

Stupid question , did they ever make a sun-roof Daytona ?

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: daytonalo on June 04, 2007, 10:09:56 PM
Stupid question , did they ever make a sun-roof Daytona ?

I dunno if Chrysler ever made one.....But I did  ;D

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: BigBlockSam on June 04, 2007, 10:08:50 PM
wow! that looks great!  your moving rite a long.  :2thumbs:

Thanks, Rene! But I've still got a bunch to do before it goes to my buddy's house for the paintjob !

daytonalo

You know how picky I am ! My hat is off to you my friend !!!!!!!! You need anything let me know !

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: daytonalo on June 04, 2007, 10:33:39 PM
You know how picky I am ! My hat is off to you my friend !!!!!!!! You need anything let me know !

Thanks, Larry! Can you give me the last few years of my life back ::) You wouldn't BELIEVE how long that sunroof took to swap over  :-X...not to mention everything else  :brickwall:

.....But it's getting there  ;)

PocketThunder

Please tell me its going to be blue with a white wing just like your signature picture.. :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 04, 2007, 10:38:55 PM
Please tell me its going to be blue with a white wing just like your signature picture.. :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

Yep, along with the white interior.  :icon_smile_big:

PocketThunder

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 04, 2007, 10:41:16 PM
Quote from: PocketThunder on June 04, 2007, 10:38:55 PM

Yep, along with the white interior.  :icon_smile_big:
:notworthy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Brock Samson

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Daytona Guy

Great job - I love the sun roof.

Freaking awesome.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Brock Samson on June 05, 2007, 12:00:55 AM
and a blue mod top?..  :yesnod:

Nahh...There's too many Mod top Daytonas running around as it is....So many, in fact that London Drug in Canada had to suspend it's production of color photo prints of them.... ;)

Daytona R/T SE

tan top

been studying the photos  :scope: :drool5:    awesome job dude , you da man  :bow: :bow: would like to see more as & when  :popcrn: :thumbs:

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 05, 2007, 02:35:17 AM
Quote from: Brock Samson on June 05, 2007, 12:00:55 AM
and a blue mod top?..  :yesnod:

Nahh...There's too many Mod top Daytonas running around as it is....So many, in fact that London Drug in Canada had to suspend it's production of color photo prints of them.... ;)
:haha: :smilielol:  man that was funny :thumbs:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

70charger_boy

How in the hell did you get the underside to look so freaking clean??????  Now, I know what it is like to be in love

NYCMille

71ChallengeHer

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

69_500

To answer the above question, No Chrysler didn't ever build a Daytona with a power sunroof. Nor did they build a 69 charger 500 with a power sunroof either. They should have, but they didn't.

Looks like a great ride. Will be an incredible machine when you get it finished.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 70charger_boy on June 05, 2007, 07:51:20 AM
How in the hell did you get the underside to look so freaking clean??????

Hours and hours and hours...... :bawling:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: daytonalo on June 05, 2007, 10:16:19 AM
Hemi ???????

I would REALLY like to put a Hemi/5 speed set up in it, but for right now I'm planning on a 440/4 speed

combo. ( I've already got the wedge/4spd stuff laying around )

If I had any sense I'd sell off a few of these "future project" cars I have sitting around and buy the

Hemi/5 speed set up I really want....

P.S. I'm now accepting donations for the Hemi fund  ;)

Charger_Fan

What are the two little holes in the top of the outer wheel wells in that first pic? Sunroof drains?

Great looking progress on that baby, I bet you can't wait to be sniffin' paint fumes! ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on June 05, 2007, 05:10:03 PM
What are the two little holes in the top of the outer wheel wells in that first pic? Sunroof drains?

Great looking progress on that baby, I bet you can't wait to be sniffin' paint fumes! ;D

Yep! Sharp eyes!  Those are the holes for the sunroof drain tubes...Thanks to DC.Com member BadBob for sending me pics of where they go :thumbs:

daytonalo

13k , AND YOU CAN HAVE MY 472 -600 HP ALUM HEAD HEMI ,11-1 HEMI , NEVER FIRED

hemigeno

Chris, your car is looking fantastic!!!  I know how hard you've been working on that, and your efforts are certainly paying off.  That plug looks awesome, and it matches the craftsmanship everywhere else too.  Congrats, I bet you're getting pumped now that some of the harder stuff is out of the way.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hemigeno on June 05, 2007, 07:47:44 PM
Chris, your car is looking fantastic!!!  I know how hard you've been working on that, and your efforts are certainly paying off.  That plug looks awesome, and it matches the craftsmanship everywhere else too.  Congrats, I bet you're getting pumped now that some of the harder stuff is out of the way.

Gene, Many thanks to you for all the measurements and pictures of your car that you posted here, on Moparstyle, and sent straight to me...You sure saved me a lot of guesswork !!!

Enthusiasm is growing, as it starts to actually look like something other than the "Exoskeleton" that has been gathering dust in my garage for the last several years.

I've still got a long way to go, but I talked to my buddy that's going to paint it for me the other day-he said he should be ready to start on it late fall/early winter....

So it looks like...

PAINT IN '08  :boogie:

PocketThunder

:bump:

After trying to find a picture of a blue Daytona with white wing for Dillon, i remembered this car and was wondering, how is the progress going Chris?

moparstuart

it will be an amazing car ,  that underside it just a thing of beauty

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

dillon14

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 05, 2007, 10:31:15 PM
Quote from: hemigeno on June 05, 2007, 07:47:44 PM

Gene, Many thanks to you for all the measurements and pictures of your car that you posted here, on Moparstyle, and sent straight to me...You sure saved me a lot of guesswork !!!

Enthusiasm is growing, as it starts to actually look like something other than the "Exoskeleton" that has been gathering dust in my garage for the last several years.

I've still got a long way to go, but I talked to my buddy that's going to paint it for me the other day-he said he should be ready to start on it late fall/early winter....

So it looks like...

Daytona R/T SE,

WOW!! Looks like you are nearing the end. However, I am just starting. Would you be willing to share some of the info and measurements you received? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1970 Dodge Coronet R/T 426 Hemi 4-Speed 1 of 4
1969 Boss 429
1968 Shelby GT-500KR 4-Speed Convertible

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 09, 2007, 11:11:02 AM
:bump:

After trying to find a picture of a blue Daytona with white wing for Dillon, i remembered this car and was wondering, how is the progress going Chris?

Well since I posted this, I've fabricated my own headlight pivot brackets, headlight cams and steel Z-bars.

I've also ordered a pair of steel headlight buckets and a steel latch tray. I decided to take the easy way out on these and just buy them.   ( Hangs head in shame )  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

While I'm waiting for the new steel parts to arrive, I've been performing a resurrection on my rusted-to-death 70 Charger hood. :brickwall:

I might actually be able to finish the hood this weekend-pics of hood will be posted if I do.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: dillon14 on November 09, 2007, 12:03:59 PM

Daytona R/T SE,

WOW!! Looks like you are nearing the end. However, I am just starting. Would you be willing to share some of the info and measurements you received? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Any questions, just fire away!

moparstuart

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on November 09, 2007, 05:23:17 PM
Quote from: dillon14 on November 09, 2007, 12:03:59 PM

Daytona R/T SE,

Any questions, just fire away!
another great mopar guy willing to help out his fellow cloner

Daytona R/T SE

BigBlockSam

dillon14

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on November 09, 2007, 06:13:41 PM
Some light reading for dillon14 and any other Daytona cloner newbies  :2thumbs:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10669.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21596.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,32287.msg353161.html#msg353161

I am humbled by your expertise and fabrication skills. When I get started on these tough aspects of the restoration, I will take you up on your offer for a little help.

That's why I love these forums, everyone is willing to pitch in and help where they can.

1970 Dodge Coronet R/T 426 Hemi 4-Speed 1 of 4
1969 Boss 429
1968 Shelby GT-500KR 4-Speed Convertible

1968 Charger B5

I agree sunroof wing cars are awesome, but don't pat yourself on the back too much, Dayclona did that to all their wing cars years ago. 
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
1970 Dodge Charger
1974 Plymouth Roadrunner
1998 Jeep Cherokee SRT

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 1968 Charger B5 on November 11, 2007, 04:22:27 PM
don't pat yourself on the back too much, Dayclona did that to all their wing cars years ago. 

You're absolutely right.

I should never take pride in my work.

I should never post pictures of my cars on the internet.

Just in case someone, somewhere, sometime in the past has done something similar to what I'm doing.

I should never, ever offer suggestions or help to others on how to build their own cars, based on my experience working on this stuff over the last 30 +years.

Based on your advise I should just go out to the garage, grab the sawzall and scrap the Daytona clone, because it's all been done already. :hack:

Goodbye cruel world, it's just not worth doing anymore, because 1968 Charger B5 said so....

daytonalo

I'm sure he still wets the bed !!! We need how to guy's around here !! Guy's like us , do it guy's !! Leaders , not followers

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: daytonalo on November 11, 2007, 11:25:42 PM
I'm sure he still wets the bed !!! We need how to guy's around here !! Guy's like us , do it guy's !! Leaders , not followers

:cheers:

70charger_boy

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on November 11, 2007, 11:22:18 PM
Quote from: 1968 Charger B5 on November 11, 2007, 04:22:27 PM
don't pat yourself on the back too much, Dayclona did that to all their wing cars years ago. 

You're absolutely right.

I should never take pride in my work.

I should never post pictures of my cars on the internet.

Just in case someone, somewhere, sometime in the past has done something similar to what I'm doing.

I should never, ever offer suggestions or help to others on how to build their own cars, based on my experience working on this stuff over the last 30 +years.

Based on your advise I should just go out to the garage, grab the sawzall and scrap the Daytona clone, because it's all been done already. :hack:

Goodbye cruel world, it's just not worth doing anymore, because 1968 ChargerB5 said so....

daytonalo

daytonalo

hotrod98

There's that "D" word again. Does this guy know the whole story regarding those guys?  Apparently not.
Is there a system to vote someone off of the board?  :icon_smile_big:
We don't need that kind of negativity here at D.C.. The comradery is what seperates us from those other guys.

And, as I've said before, your car is looking great. Wish I had that kind of talent. I can't wait to see it finished.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on November 12, 2007, 12:26:21 AM
There's that "D" word again. Does this guy know the whole story regarding those guys?  Apparently not.
Is there a system to vote someone off of the board?  :icon_smile_big:
We don't need that kind of negativity here at D.C.. The comradery is what seperates us from those other guys.

And, as I've said before, your car is looking great. Wish I had that kind of talent. I can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks, Hotrod98  :2thumbs:

I can remember making stupid comments to the older guys when I was a kid, The difference was back then, you weren't hiding behind a keyboard and monitor when you shot your mouth off-you were within slapping distance ! :slap:

If you'd have made a comment like that in the pits at the local dirt track back in 1981 or 1982  you'd have gotten a wrench upside the head. Don't ask me how I know ! :icon_smile_dissapprove:

daytonalo

You cant make any comments unless you have built or building a Daytona !!! Bottom line , WALK THE WALK !!!!!!! :icon_smile_big:

BigBlockSam

Quote  PAINT IN '08 
PAINT IN '08 
PAINT IN '08   

i know you'll get it there.  :cheers:

now i'm hoping for

primer IN '08 
primer IN '08 
primer IN '08     :D

learical1

Quote from: BigBlockSam on November 12, 2007, 11:39:56 AM
Quote  PAINT IN '08 
PAINT IN '08 
PAINT IN '08   

primer IN '08 
primer IN '08 
primer IN '08     :D

rhyme works better as:

"primer in oh niner."

say it a few times.  you'll see.  :smilielol:

Bruce

daytonalo

hemigeno

Quote from: daytonalo on November 12, 2007, 08:33:53 AM
You cant make any comments unless you have built or building a Daytona !!! Bottom line , WALK THE WALK !!!!!!! :icon_smile_big:

Larry, let's not take it anywhere CLOSE to that far.  Normally I'd just consider the source of that remark and go on, but the last thing I want to do is to have you or anyone else discouraging folks from commenting.  There are a large number of people with quite valuable contributions to make to this forum who do not own a wing car (clone or otherwise) or are in the process of building one.  They are welcome to comment on this forum, despite your disdain for their existence.  Sorry if that offends you.  When you get your own forum you can make the rules to suit your own tastes; until then,Troy calls the shots. 

That being said, Rick's (1968 Charger B5) comment was more than just a little rude, and quite illogical.  Under that line of thinking, we should all scrap our cars since others have restored musclecars/Chargers before.  If that's the case, why would anyone want to go to another car show?  Seen one, seen 'em all??     :badidea:    Dayclona has done some very nice work on their cars and reproduction parts.  However, I seriously doubt that they were the first one ever to have put a sunroof in a wing car.  What about Jerry Juenemann's former '70 Charger "Daytona"? 

Daytona R/T SE (Chris) and quite a few others on this board have more metalworking and bodywork skills in their little finger than I'll ever have, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for the work each of you craftsmen have done.  This is a place where people can not only learn what it takes to do one of these projects, but also appreciate the work that others have done.  Those whose purpose in life is to run down the work that others are doing or have done, are not welcome here.

:soapbox:

daytonalo

Sorry to piss you off !! I was just standing up to people who make comments about members skills , and more than likely cant operate a pop rivet gun ! I have never spoken down to anyone about their skill level . We all bring something to table , trust me I learned everything I know about Wing cars from this Board and My buddy Dave [ Wingcarsxx]  . I have restored cars for years , mostly Pontiac's .  I'm always available to help where I can .

Larry

hemigeno

Quote from: daytonalo on November 12, 2007, 01:09:52 PM
I was just standing up to people who make comments about members skills , and more than likely cant operate a pop rivet gun !

Well to be honest, the comment in question did not denigrate Chris, his skills or his car.  It did make it sound as if the car was of little value or interest because someone else had done something similar.  You read that as an attack on Chris' abilities and overall project much the same way that other people react to many of YOUR OWN comments.  Touche.

I have never spoken down to anyone about their skill level .

Read the last half of the sentence RIGHT BEFORE THIS STATEMENT.  Care to rephrase?

We all bring something to table , trust me I learned everything I know about Wing cars from this Board and My buddy Dave [ Wingcarsxx]  . I have restored cars for years , mostly Pontiac's .  I'm always available to help where I can .

This forum is all about helping others, and you have the ability to do just that.  My whole point is that discouraging people from commenting, attacking others and/or running down their cars helps absolutely no one.

:cheers:

daytonalo

BigBlockSam

Quoterhyme works better as:

"primer in oh niner."

say it a few times.  you'll see.   

:yesnod: :smilielol:

WingCharger

What are those markings on the B pillar? Also, what sunroof did you use? I want to build one eventually, and what did you use?

PS: Are you going to paint or undercoat the bottom?

moparstuart

Quote from: WingCharger on June 15, 2008, 08:35:49 AM
What are those markings on the B pillar? Also, what sunroof did you use? I want to build one eventually, and what did you use?

updated picture !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daytona R/T SE

I'm not sure what markings you're refering to...the seam where the top meets the quarters? That's how it looks once you dig out all the factory lead and filler.

I used a power sunroof from a 1970 Dodge Charger...I'd had it for years...good luck trying to find one of those now a days  :eek2:

Paint on the bottom  :2thumbs:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: moparstuart on June 15, 2008, 05:00:41 PM

updated picture !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, Stuart! As soon as there's something worth looking at!  :icon_smile_big: :yesnod:

moparstuart