News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

i just got a 69 charger need help!

Started by oldsnofear, September 17, 2005, 01:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsnofear

hi does anyone know th proper color for the tailpanel on a 69 charger?

69DodgeCharger

Organasol.... a semi shiny satin black color.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

cudaken

I used a good quality Rattle Can Semi Gloss Black and looks fine on all the 68-70 Charger's I have done.

Cuda Ken
I am back

y3chargerrt

Satin black is correct on the 69s not organisol.

Drop Top

Actually the paint had a slight texture to it. It was the same paint that was used on the hoods of the blacked out cars. Like the Road Runner and Cudas. It was not the Organasol like many people think. But because the paint has been discontinued for many years. People have come to believe that the Organasol is the correct paint. So that is what is used by most people. PPG made both paints but and now the Organasol is getting harder to get also.

69hemi

I was always under the impression that Organisol was correct for the tail panel.  I know the hood blackouts were Organisol but what was the tail panel paint called?
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

Drop Top

I have an old qt can of it in the shop somewhere that I save from along time ago. I'll have to try and find it. The name slips my mind right now. I'm getting old I guess. We talked about this paint on the old board. It was also used on the old Blazer fiberglass tops. It helped hide all the imperfections and was a bit smoother then the Organisol but it still had a texture to it, and it didn't snag your cleaning towel.

Drop Top

Its been my experience, the Organisol was used on the inside of the cars, on the dash pieces. It wasn't used anywhere on the outside because it was harder to clean. I remember a friend of mine had a AAR Cuda in High school. It had the smooth textured black paint on the hood. I also remember another buddy of mine that had a Charger with the same paint on the rear between the tail lights. On the Charger I noticed that the paint on the dash pieces had more of a course texture to it. The reason I remember this is I was painting cars as a hobby back then. I would always pay atention to little things like this. Back when I was in High School. These cars where still new enough that many of them had not been repainted yet. There I go telling everybody how old I am.  ::)

Both paints where discontinued at the same time. But because the Organisol was used mostly on the inside of the car, there was not the demand for it (when the car needs to be repaired its usually on the outside). So you can still find it around in some paint stores.

This other paint was used by other car companies also. Like the fiberglass tops on the Chevy Blazers. So it got used up much faster then the Organisol. Where as only Mopar used the Organisol paint.

694spdRT

I called Totally Auto to order some Organisol and they informed me that was not used on the tailpanel...I think they said to use their Satin black. I should still have the empty can if someone wants to know what it was.

The tailpanel of my '68 has never been painted and it does have a very slight textured finish. 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

69hemi

Drop Top

The dash, steering column and the inner windshield trim piece get painted with a a suede paint on black cars. This ism available from Mopaints.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

Just 6T9 CHGR

If you look on the bottom l/h corner of the PPG paint chip page for 69 you'll see they state Organasol is used between taillights on Charger

http://autocolorlibrary.com/cgi-bin/search/searchpic.pl?1969-dodge-pg01.jpg
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

JimShine

Look at the details paint code:

oldsnofear

Thanks to everyone I'll be putting some pics up soon shawn

69 OUR/TEA

Alot of different opinions here! Since the topic of what kind of paint was used on tail panels came up I have been trying to find an old reference picture chart  on paint types and colors for 69 chargers that I have put somewhere.I have yet to find it,and was'nt going to reply until I did.But,with all these posts going back and fourth,I will add my 2 cents! Having 2 original paint 69 chargers to reference off of;1 triple black and the other triple green,(not mine),and being in the paint and body work field for about 20 years,I also pay a great deal of attention to detail,and every time I seen a 69 charger from back then,always studied them closely,the tail panels are most certainly NOT the textured organosol.I remember seeing that it was called a 30 degree gloss black,which is basically  SATIN ! and this is what they look like exactly.Organosol was used on the lift off hood six pack cars and aar cuda hoods,as well as cuda tail panels. The dash,(all metal on dash)and steering column was suede no matter what color it was.The upper trim above windshield and upper trim that runs along the underside of drip rail is the same color but is a different finish,(not suede).As for what is says in the PPG book under 69 dodge colors (bottom left,I've seen it too) it does say"organosol,this is the paint used between the tailights on chargers".This is wrong.As I wrote in grill restoration topic I have a good friend who works for PPG as a paint rep,and thru him have seen many misprints in color codes,so I would not trust reading that paint chart from 69.Also(i just got a 69 charger  need help),since we are talking about colors now,look back and find grill restoration,about my post on the  colors for the grill.Depending on how close you want to be,the grill silver rattle can paint  is way off from the correct original color it is supposed to be.This is a great site for you as you will get alot of input,rather than just asking one person,who could be wrong,you can read multiple opinions and use your best judgement.Good luck with your car!!!

Drop Top

:iagree: Thank You for comfreming what I have tried to say. I have a PPG chip book and it says the same about the Organsol. I also agree that the book is wrong. The PPG book says to use Organsol because the other paint was discontinued. By the way I found the old can that was used in so many of the other places. PPG Number is DMA 364 Swade.

oldsnofear

Thanks to everyone. I,m sure I'll have alot more questions for you guys. I just bought a 69 charger se. I just sold a gm a body (1970 442 olds) I have always wanted a charger and sold my car to get one. thanks again shawn

Brock Samson