News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

silver candy

Started by Silver R/T, September 17, 2005, 10:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

how would i paint my car in silver candy
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Drop Top

Silver Candy is not a color. But it is a base for any other color candy. It would be impossible to make a silver candy/ Candys are transparent and shows off the color underneath it. In conjunction with the candy color and the base color is what makes it a candy job. Silver is very hard to spray without tiger stripeing. So I would not suggest spraying it unless you have plenty of experience.

Silver R/T

so what color would I put under candy to make it look like silver candy..

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Drop Top

You don't understand.  :rotz: Candys don't work like that. There is no silver candy. If you want silver, paint it that color, then clear it. No one makes a silver or gold candy for that mater. You can get a candy color in just about any other color. House of Kolor has a nice shimeron silver color that is a true silver color. Spray it and then clear it. If you put any other color of candy over that it will be the color of the candy coat with the high lights of the silver coming through it.

The way candys work is a color goes down first. That color can be any color you want from silver to black. With all kinds of metalics and pearls in the base to make it look really bright. Then the candy color goes over the base. The candy is a clear coat with indian ink in it to give it a color. It will be transparent. Much like looking at a candied apple. The candy on the apple is transparent and you can see the apple underneath the candy. That is where the name comes from. Then clear goes over all that.

Silver R/T

so paint it original metallic silver and possibly add some pearl and then clear with candy ?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

Quote from: Silver R/T on September 18, 2005, 01:33:56 AM
so paint it original metallic silver and possibly add some pearl and then clear with candy ?

???

What color do you want it to be? What color "candy" do you want on it? The candy part is a transparent color (ie NOT silver) that goes on top of the silver. The effect of the light passing through the candy (transparent) layer and reflecting off of the metallic layer below is what gives the process it's name. Soooooooo, if you want a silver car then there's no such thing as a candy paint job that will work for you. I guess you could put a pearl coat on it but I have no idea how that would look on a silver car since it generally looks best on colors. What are you trying to accomplish?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Drop Top

Drop Top

For the people that understand what we are talking about.

Silver has allot of pearl in it already. So it will do nothing to the paint by adding more pearl over it before clearing.

TruckDriver

The closest thing I have seen to that is a car that was painted silver first, then had a pearl clear coat painted over the silver. But you had to look at it just right to see any pear affect.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Silver R/T

Quote from: Troy on September 18, 2005, 08:39:44 AM
Quote from: Silver R/T on September 18, 2005, 01:33:56 AM

???

What color do you want it to be? What color "candy" do you want on it? The candy part is a transparent color (ie NOT silver) that goes on top of the silver. The effect of the light passing through the candy (transparent) layer and reflecting off of the metallic layer below is what gives the process it's name. Soooooooo, if you want a silver car then there's no such thing as a candy paint job that will work for you. I guess you could put a pearl coat on it but I have no idea how that would look on a silver car since it generally looks best on colors. What are you trying to accomplish?

Troy

so then if I put candy over stock silver metallic it would work as you say, Ill be able to see silver come though behind candy coats?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

Yes (in theory)... but you didn't answer the question(s) so I have no idea what you are attempting to do.

On the other hand, I think the sugar in most candy might be bad for the paint so maybe you should stick with something basic. :D

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

MyMopar

The candy coat is like stained glass only not as heavily colored.   I can take a piece of stained glass that is red and hold it up to a silver car.   THe effect will be a nice shiney red car with what looks like silver highlights in the sun.

Uisng this panel I made as an examlpe, you can see through the red, blue and yellow.   Basically I believe this to be like a "candy color" coat.   Maybe I'm thinking of something different here but to have a silver "candy coat" it wouldn't be transparent, it would be solid, just like regular silver paint due to the materials needed to make the silver color.

It would seem that a silver color is a base color to make a final different color using candies?   Is this correct?
Painting can be confusing specially when you want to add effects and it is hard to find some good info on the topics.   I understand everyones fustration in this thread.

Drop Top

68ChargerJMP

Just for the record.......Silver doesnt have pearl in it, just metallics.No silver candy either...lol.

dodgecharger-fan

I think the answer that silver is looking for is "paint it silver and then top it off with a clear candy coat"
but the reality is that a clear candy coat isn't a candy coat, it's just a clear. Right?

I think that's what you guys were trying to say but didn't come out and say it directly.
You did say that candy is just clear with some colour added to it, though.

This is just how I'm interpretting the posts  - I'm certainly no expert on paint.

I suppose you could get a pretty neat effect if you did some sort of layering to give it depth. Silver, clear, little bit of pearl, more clear, more pearl, more clear etc... but I don't know about that. It would have to be done by a pro I'd think. Again, this is something I must have read or have seen done in the past, not my personal experience.

Silver R/T

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on September 29, 2005, 07:24:43 AM
I think the answer that silver is looking for is "paint it silver and then top it off with a clear candy coat"
but the reality is that a clear candy coat isn't a candy coat, it's just a clear. Right?

I think that's what you guys were trying to say but didn't come out and say it directly.

This is just how I'm interpretting the posts - I'm certainly no expert on paint.

I suppose you could get a pretty neat effect if you did some sort of layering to give it depth. Silver, clear, little bit of pearl, more clear, more pearl, more clear etc... but I don't know about that. It would have to be done by a pro I'd think. Again, this is something I must have read or have seen done in the past, not my personal experience.

exactly, youre getting what Im looking for

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

NorwayCharger

Quote from: Silver R/T on September 30, 2005, 09:15:56 PM
Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on September 29, 2005, 07:24:43 AM

This is just how I'm interpretting the posts - I'm certainly no expert on paint.

exactly, youre getting what Im looking for

I have been painting cars an MC for 25 years and the only way to get a DEEP look in a silver is in two ways.
1 paint the car in silver base, and then top it with lots of clear.
2 (the best effect) paint it black base then fine silver flake or gros grain alu. silver base, then top it with clear.

AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

Brock Samson

gold and silver are usually used for an undercoat to provide a reflection and depth. I belive i've seen some done with a copper and or/a bronze on custom bikes usually at the grand national roadster show over the years... i originaly wanted a candy blue over silver on my ride, but because i know how difficult it is to get an excellant result and because i didn't think my painter had the skills i went with a solid blue with a small amount of red added... good thing, cause he screwed that up anyway...  >:(