News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who deleted his vinyl top? *** pic added.....

Started by CB, September 17, 2005, 01:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

unfortunately my dig camera is MIA so no pics of my car. sorry.

This afternoon I decided to take off the vinyl top because it was bubbling.
I was afraid the bubbles predict to be major rustissues, but man, I was so pleased to see it was only air ;D
After pulling it off my roof is smooth as silk, no rust anywhere,  ready for paint !!! Great!

So now I want to know from you guys, who has done this before, what the car needs to look like it came top deleted.

Thanks guys!
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Troy

I did it to one of mine. You'll need to fill in all the holes (weld) for the vinyl top trim around the sail panel. Make sure the drip rail sealer along the top is good. After removing the vinyl, your drip rail mouldings probably won't fit any more so you either need to figure out how to squish them without messing them up or order new ones. You may have the same issue with the windshield and rear window trim. Make sure the roof is flat and not dented then paint to match.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

JimShine

The seam filler will have to be replaced as well. The factory used lead, I used Metal 2 Metal based on Drop Tops reccomendation. It came out great!

Troy

Whoops! Forgot about that. The one I did it to already had lead in the seam (figure that one out!).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

CB

Cool
I was planning to remove the filler.
And yes the moldings will prolly be too big to fit.  :(
Means $
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Drop Top

To tighten up the stainless trim. Take a set of duck bill vise grip pliers. Wrap a rag between the pliers and the trim. Then squeeze the trim ever so slightly together. Do this a little at a time and just enough to do the job. I have done this and it cheaper then trying to find good or new ones. The lip that goes over the top of the drip rail is what needs to be squeezed together.

CB

thanks for the tip, Drop Top.
I was thinking to put back small strips of the old vinyl on the rails so it would fit.
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

CB

ok, not such a good pic but still gives youan idea.

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

MyMopar

73rallye440magnum

Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

CB

ok, it is looking nicer with the top on but I am just showing how nice the roof looks.
I meant that if I would go topless (   ;) ) I won't need a new roof. Many people tell me to keep it B5 blue with the black top.

If I find another B or E body, the Charger will be painted B5, with top that is.
I just can't miss the sound and driving when it's at the paint shop for months .

Also I love the smooth line where the roof goes over into the quarter. It is interrupted with the vinyl and trim.
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Just 6T9 CHGR

Again, I beg to differ.......if anything the vinyl roof accentuates the roof line
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

ChargerRob

Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

derailed

Drop Top

You would be suprized how nice it would look if you changed it to a white top and stripe. It makes B-5 blue come alive. I had a Super Bee that came from the factory this way. I have seen Chargers like this also  :2thumbs: .

wLc

Any advice on welding up the vinyl trim holes? What's the best way to do this? I have a mig welder that I will use and I really don't have that much experience with welding.
In the depths of a mind insane
Fantasy and reality are the same

Drop Top

I just started a 69 GTO. The owner wants to delete the vinyl top on it. I used a jewelers torch to fill in the holes. To do it with a mig. Clean off all paint and rust from around the hole. Make sure you have a good ground and start filling the hole. After you have the hole filled in. Grind it smooth. Try to make the weld as flat as possable. That way you will have less to grind off.

MyMopar

White stripe and vinyl top  would be cool with the B-5 Blue, IMO.

wreckova68

i agree the vinyl roof looks best but I got mine with gloss black paint to match the vinyl lines and think it looks okay for now.  I'd guess the trim holes were just filled as there are cracks coming through the paint now.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: wreckova68 on September 23, 2005, 03:24:00 PM
i agree the vinyl roof looks best but I got mine with gloss black paint to match the vinyl lines and think it looks okay for now.   I'd guess the trim holes were just filled as there are cracks coming through the paint now.

Hey, Wreck, what color is your car?  Looks like a shade of gold.  Is it a factory color?  Pretty sharp.

wLc

Quote from: Drop Top on September 23, 2005, 07:48:07 AM
I just started a 69 GTO. The owner wants to delete the vinyl top on it. I used a jewelers torch to fill in the holes. To do it with a mig. Clean off all paint and rust from around the hole. Make sure you have a good ground and start filling the hole. After you have the hole filled in. Grind it smooth. Try to make the weld as flat as possable. That way you will have less to grind off.
So basically I would just be tack welding on tack welds till the hole gets filled? Will warping be much of an issue?

Drop Top

It will warp if you get it too hot. Just don't rush it. Let it coolbefore you go to the next hole. Or if you spend too much time on one hole, let it cool before you finish it. Some people use a wet rag or a spray bottle to keep it cool. I don't like to do it this way. It causes the metal to get too brittle.

wLc

Okay thanks Drop Top. What about using an airhose for cooling down the metal?