News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mopar Muscle latest "Rare Finds"...why not me...?

Started by Dans 68, November 07, 2005, 10:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968 Charger B5

i have a hard time actually beleiving all those "rare finds"
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
1970 Dodge Charger
1974 Plymouth Roadrunner
1998 Jeep Cherokee SRT

ChargerHound69

I don't know, I have had a few rare finds of my own, but never a Hemi.  That would be nice though.

jaak

Quote from: 1968 Charger B5 on November 09, 2005, 11:04:05 PM
i have a hard time actually beleiving all those "rare finds"
Me too, sometimes I think they make up shit too, you know spice up the details for us readers, guy knew where the car was, knew it was a hemi, just waited on his oppritunity to buy it, calls MM gets his car (unrestored) in the mag, and makes us all envious, it sells!!!

73rallye440magnum

that car was on e-bay not too long ago, im surprised nobody else here has pointed that out already.
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

ChargerHound69

I did not see it on ebay, how much did it go for??  Anyone know??

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

73rallye440magnum

Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

Shakey

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on November 09, 2005, 07:42:15 PM
Hemi cars are not that hard to find, you just need to know where to look (ie. off the beaten path).   I probably know where around ten of them are at (one is a 69 Charger RT/SE and is on my future "to buy" list) but, out of respect for others privacy, I will keep the details to myself and those that currently own them.   It is rare to find them complete though.   I know of a junkyard that has crushed 3 of them since the 80s and there is a hidden trove of ten 426 hemi engines that were pulled out of cars that pass through the yard.   A few years ago, the yard owner wanted my hemi car and offered to let me pick a few cars (5) out of his yard as a trade (he has some nice projects out there like a 67 390 GTA Mustang fastback in black, 10 Mach 1s among the others), but I passed on the deal.   My HP2 was a junkyard survivior thanks to a previous owner who rescued it when he did.   Otherwise, it would have been recycled with the other cars around it when the land was cleared.   BTW-there was a 1968 Hemi RR that was found in a junkyard south of me earlier this year.   It all goes to show that you need to check the numbers when you go to the salvage yard.....

I could be wrong but I thought I read here once that there were no '69 Hemi R/T SE Charger's.   :shruggy:

Also, I know of a yard in NM that had a whole row (15 - 20) of 68 - 70 Chargers and when the crusher was in he crushed them all by mistake!   :eyes:

These kind of stories have been around forever.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are still cars out there but you won't find them unless you give up your job and start hunting full time.  Whenever I travel for business, I usually have a road trip included.  I make trips from New Orleans to Houston, LA to SF, Washington DC to Charleston, SC and El Paso to Albuquerque on a semi-regular basis.  I usually take the back roads, way off the beaten path and although I have time, I do not have time to stop at every barn or field that looks like it might have a car stashed on the property.  I do speak to locals about potentials, but there are a lot of bogus leads out there - trust me I have encountered this myself.

Don't believe everything you read or hear, trust your own eyes only!

69_500

There are plenty of HEMI cars left out there to be found and purchased. There is a 1970 HEMI Charger R/T just about 2 miles from me sitting in a barn. The owner hasn't had the car out since the mid 70's. I got to check the car out last year and its isn't in that bad of shape, but no chance of him turning it loose though. Even though he doesn't do anything with the car he still knows what they are going for in todays money. The only way I got to check it out is his neighbor has a 71 Cuda and I drove the 500 over to his house to just shoot the breeze. As i was leaving his neighbor was in the yard and waved me into his driveway. Told me he had a car to show me in the garage since I was in a Charger.
So there are HEMI cars out there to be found. 2 years ago I ran into a HEMI challenger that was about 15 miles from my house. I had seen the car sitting out in the guys yard for years and had never checked it out. One night I just stopped and asked if I could look at the car, and the owner said yeah fine. It was rough but very restorable, and very much worth the money he was asking for the car. So I passed the deal on to a buddy of mine who love's E-bodies. In exchange he hooked me up with a ton of 69 Charger parts, engine's, transmissions, and money.

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: Shakey on November 10, 2005, 07:09:44 AM
Quote from: Chad L. Magee on November 09, 2005, 07:42:15 PM
Hemi cars are not that hard to find, you just need to know where to look (ie. off the beaten path).   I probably know where around ten of them are at (one is a 69 Charger RT/SE and is on my future "to buy" list) but, out of respect for others privacy, I will keep the details to myself and those that currently own them.   It is rare to find them complete though.   I know of a junkyard that has crushed 3 of them since the 80s and there is a hidden trove of ten 426 hemi engines that were pulled out of cars that pass through the yard.   A few years ago, the yard owner wanted my hemi car and offered to let me pick a few cars (5) out of his yard as a trade (he has some nice projects out there like a 67 390 GTA Mustang fastback in black, 10 Mach 1s among the others), but I passed on the deal.   My HP2 was a junkyard survivior thanks to a previous owner who rescued it when he did.   Otherwise, it would have been recycled with the other cars around it when the land was cleared.   BTW-there was a 1968 Hemi RR that was found in a junkyard south of me earlier this year.   It all goes to show that you need to check the numbers when you go to the salvage yard.....

I could be wrong but I thought I read here once that there were no '69 Hemi R/T SE Charger's.   :shruggy:

Also, I know of a yard in NM that had a whole row (15 - 20) of 68 - 70 Chargers and when the crusher was in he crushed them all by mistake!   :eyes:

These kind of stories have been around forever.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are still cars out there but you won't find them unless you give up your job and start hunting full time.   Whenever I travel for business, I usually have a road trip included.   I make trips from New Orleans to Houston, LA to SF, Washington DC to Charleston, SC and El Paso to Albuquerque on a semi-regular basis.   I usually take the back roads, way off the beaten path and although I have time, I do not have time to stop at every barn or field that looks like it might have a car stashed on the property.   I do speak to locals about potentials, but there are a lot of bogus leads out there - trust me I have encountered this myself.

Don't believe everything you read or hear, trust your own eyes only!

The RT/SE may very well be just an RT with the SE options added later, but it was described to me by the current owner as an RT/SE Hemi 69.  I have not seen the car, but have seen pictures of it and I know where it is (funny how word of mouth spreads as you help others on car deals).  A mopar friend (an e-body collector) did see the car and told me it looks correct.  Currently, the dana is missing (8 3/4 replaced it), as it was sold back in the 80s to a racer who wanted the rearend but not the car.  You would think that if someone came up to you and asked if you would want to sell your rearend out of your complete hemi charger for a hundered $ you would say "no", but he said yes.  It is in a collection of 50+ big $ cars, so the owner treats it much like another car to drive......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

bullit68

two and a half years ago,i purchased a car that i had long since known about but didn't check out.back in 88-89 i had seen the car sitting next to his house in primer.its a 66 hemi charger auto in MAUVE METTALLIC paint(one of three known).the original motor has been missing since the early seventies,but the original trans and all the other hemi parts are there.its a really solid 56k mile car.and did i mention that it was really cheap?another car that i picked up a year and a half ago is a 69 hemi charger 4 spd car-body only.i bought it off the old charger site(i'm sure some of members here probably remember the car).anyways the car was more money than the first one,but still a bargain compaired to todays market.the guy i bought it from was a dealer.he runs ads in the papers looking for muscle cars.this guy phones him up and ends up selling him this hemi car for 5k us.my point is,these cars are still out there,i know its hard to believe but its true.theres people that have these cars and are not into them as a hobbie,they're just old cars to them.so its a matter of being in the right place at the right time.talk to lots of people and let it be known what you're after.keep the dream alive.

69_500

I was under the impression that there was only 2 Mauve Mettalic HEMI Chargers in 1966. Both of them were on display at Carlisle this year.

Lumpy3r

Hi Guys, If you wish to see the finished pictures of that 1968 R/T Hemi Charger check them out :

http://www.mountainmopars.com

The Charger is in the Restored Cars For Sale Link

TruckDriver

Quote from: 6670charger on November 09, 2005, 09:53:06 AM
Yeah.  That never happens to me either.  Not that I'd have the money right now to do anything about it if it did happen.

Same goes for me :rotz:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

JimShine

I would rather find 5 great deals on 318 1968-9 Chargers than 1 Hemi Charger. I love Chargers, small engines, ugly colors, you name it. Just has to be 1968 or 1969.

69bronzeT5

Yea, like Id rather find a regular Challenger or Charger than find a Hemi Challenger or Charger because chances are, theres a better chance of getting the regular car for an affordable price where the Hemi car would probally be wayyy high pricewise.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

TheAutoArchaeologist

hemi-hampton

Lumpy, How do you know thats the same Charger for sale? LEON.

Chad L. Magee

I may be picking up another "rare find" soon, but it has been in my crosshairs for along time and is not a hemi car or even a Charger.  I have known about this car since I was a young kid visiting some of my relatives (they hooked me up with the owner who they know really well and I have first shot at it).  It is a 1970 Barracuda (Grande Coupe?) in yellow, black top and black interior, (engine code G in VIN), but don't know what it has for a transmission.  What makes it special is it is currently owned by the orginal owner and is a survivor with the exception of the black vinyl top (which has been replaced, because I remember it in tatters back in 1986 when she was driving it).  Everything else is orginal and the owner has stopped driving it only the last few years.  It sits outside (in the outskirts of a very small town), but the paint is still nice due to the care given it by the owner.  When I get that one, I will share pics........
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Lumpy3r

Quote from: hemi-hampton on July 02, 2007, 12:51:31 AM
Lumpy, How do you know thats the same Charger for sale? LEON.

I work there Leon.   Cya Lumpy