News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to remove a vinyl top?

Started by Beer, July 24, 2005, 01:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beer

Just peel away? Whats the best way to remove the adhesive remaining?

Cheers
Beer
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

AKcharger

YUP, pull all your window molding off 1st then rip that sucker off. As far as adhesive I 've seen stuff advertised that removed stripes and stuff but I just sanding it down since it was being repainted anyway. takeing it off is easy..putting one on can be a bit tricky

Good Luck

AK

Drop Top

Most of the time the glue has dried so much that sanding will do the trick. Just as AK sugests. If it is still a bit gooey. The sand paper will load up really fast. In this case 3M makes a product called adhiseve remover. It works very well. You can get it at your paint suplie store. Goo Gone works also but not as well. You can get that at most Hardware stores.

Silver R/T

ive just used putty knife, worked great
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

I use "Goof Off!" to remove the old adhesive. Squirt it on and let it sit for about 15 seconds and it scrapes right off. If you have a lot of the fuzzy stuff left on the adhesive then you'll need to squirt more on and let it soak a few seconds longer.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

sharpspike

heres a couple install links from the old site. in case your doing it yourself. read them several times, the back window and sails are the trickiest part, but its not that hard.

http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/misc/4.html

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/howto/25738/

Telvis

My wife removed mine with a single edged razor blade.

Telvis

....I wanted her to remove it....It wasn't malicious or anything. :icon_smile_big:

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Beer

Great Links and info thanks for the help. I will post pics and my progress, still have some other items to remove.
Hoping to get to this within a couple of weeks.

Cheers
Beer
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

JimShine

I found a great aid to removing the glue residue is parking it in the hot sun for a few hours then using a putty knife to scrape it off. Then I followed up with a wash with 3M adhesive remover. I didn't pull the vinyl off myself, but all the glue was there when the car came in. Don't be surprised if you find holes in the top around the seams.

JimShine

You have to peel back the headliner behind the C pillar to expose two speed nuts holding the emblem on.

Chargerguy74

how exactly does one remove the chrome trim around the headliner....without damaging it???
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Beer

OK that took like 15 minutes :)

I pried up on the trim midway above the drivers door, then carefully pried up what I could.
Note in the second picture where the screw is that holds it down. The other piece slip fit into it.

Found a big ass ding, and some bondo. I am suprised at the the rough finish on the rough too...

The vinyl peeled right off, have not tried sanding the roof yet.

Here's the Pics:

Windshield and back window removal is next.

Cheers
Beer

Chargerguy74

Beer, thanks for the pics! The trim just pops off the clips? How about the drip rail and windshield trim? Thanks!
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Beer

I have only removed the drivers side trim piece at the edge of the vinyl (this did allow for the entire vinyl to be pulled off). I found a spot that lifted up easily (midway above the drivers door) and gently pried up and pulled. The trim did just pop off the clips (see clips in pictures). The only screwed down part I found is in the picture down at the bottom. The screw was covered by a piece that connected to it. That piece was justa slip fit, I pulled on that (pulled towards the front of the car) and it came right off exposing the screw.

More pics later today, I should have a buddy over and we may tackle removing the rear window and possibly the windshield.