News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions about a 68 Coronet I just bought.........

Started by bandit67, June 25, 2007, 05:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit67

Hi Guy, I know this is the Charger site , but I do not know who else to ask, Mopar noob here about a 68 Coronet 440 is just picked up, first question, in a radio deleate car , did they have a hole in the fender for the antenna? Seller said he thought the car was a radio deleate , but I think not. There is a plate and I looked up under the dash and there is no sign of any wiring and looks like there  never was a speaker mounted under the dash hole. There is a hole for the antenna in the fender, no plug. That make me think the radio was just removed.
         Also the original steering wheel was replace with a small padded wheel in which I do not like. What other cars and year models would have something close in looks. and would be a bolt on. Not even sure what the original looked like.  Thanks for any comments or ideas..........John

Brock Samson

hello and welcome i'm sure these guys will step up with lots of info and help...

i thought i'd share these pics from a thread started a few days ago...
link to follow... again welcome.. oh and congrats too!!!

here's a wheel pic...

the thread itself..
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,30363.0.html

69CoronetRT

Quote from: bandit67 on June 25, 2007, 05:30:52 PM
  Hi Guy, I know this is the Charger site , but I do not know who else to ask, Mopar noob here about a 68 Coronet 440 is just picked up, first question, in a radio deleate car , did they have a hole in the fender for the antenna? Seller said he thought the car was a radio deleate , but I think not. There is a plate and I looked up under the dash and there is no sign of any wiring and looks like there  never was a speaker mounted under the dash hole. There is a hole for the antenna in the fender, no plug. That make me think the radio was just removed.
         Also the original steering wheel was replace with a small padded wheel in which I do not like. What other cars and year models would have something close in looks. and would be a bolt on. Not even sure what the original looked like.  Thanks for any comments or ideas..........John

If the fender tag is still there? You can check under the "R" as all plants would code for a radio. Is there a block off plate under the speaker grille or is it open? I think all fenders were stamped and cars ordered without a radio recieved a plug. The plug could have been removed through the years.

I'd suggest finding a 67-69 steering wheel. The 70 may be different due to the change in the column but I'm not sure. Here's a pic of the steering wheels available in 68.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

bull

Brock Samson

pettyfan43

Quote from: Brock Samson on June 25, 2007, 07:34:41 PM
   oh, not you too...  :smilielol:

I'd LOVE to have that baby! That would be THE ticket, get rid of the roof rack, sticka  set of the R/T- Super Bee Ram Air scoops, Magnum 500 wheels. 400 automatic and you have the perfect cruising vessel to go to model shows!

PocketThunder

Quote from: bull on June 25, 2007, 06:11:19 PM
Ooooooooh, I'd love to have that old wagon! :yesnod:

:2thumbs:  Me too!  Moma's hinting at baby #3 already so i need to plan ahead!  :scratchchin:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

bandit67

Thanks for the wagon pics, I am a huge wagon fan myself.  69RT, I have the fender tag and found a 1 stamped under the R.  I assume that means an AM radio?   There is no plate under the speaker hole and I did not see where any screws, clips, clamps and anything that could  have supported a plate or speaker.  What does the 2 under the X mean on the tag. The car still has the original copper looking paint and I like it.
              Thanks for the pics of the steering wheels, just what I need.   Would these wheels be the same, except for maybe the center caps , on other Mopar A, B, C and E bodies from 67 to 69?  Would like to get the car road worthy as I search for correct parts.........J

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Brock Samson

"the original steering wheel was replace with a small padded wheel in which I do not like."   :shruggy:

bandit67

6T9,  I think the current steering wheel is one of the old Grant small  wheels that were popular  in the 70's. It has the chrome  center cap and seems not to be wired to the horn.........J

bull

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 25, 2007, 10:29:13 PM
Quote from: bull on June 25, 2007, 06:11:19 PM
Ooooooooh, I'd love to have that old wagon! :yesnod:

:2thumbs:  Me too!  Moma's hinting at baby #3 already so i need to plan ahead!  :scratchchin:

I see a Plymouth wagon for sale on the way to work every day but it's too new. It looks like about a '72 or so and I prefer the late '60s.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: bandit67 on June 26, 2007, 07:18:37 AM
69RT, I have the fender tag and found a 1 stamped under the R.  I assume that means an AM radio?   There is no plate under the speaker hole and I did not see where any screws, clips, clamps and anything that could  have supported a plate or speaker.  What does the 2 under the X mean on the tag. The car still has the original copper looking paint and I like it.
              Thanks for the pics of the steering wheels, just what I need.   Would these wheels be the same, except for maybe the center caps , on other Mopar A, B, C and E bodies from 67 to 69?  Would like to get the car road worthy as I search for correct parts.........J

Yes...the 1 under the R means AM radio.

There are two "X"s on the tag. Let's make sure we get the right one...if the 2 is under the X on the third line from the top..it means tinted windshield only.

The steering wheels would be similar for all 67-69 body styles. They may not be exactly 'correct' for your application but I think you just want one that will work for now.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Charger_Fan

Glad I'm not the only one around here who's liking wagons these days. :icon_smile_big: My kids think I've absolutely fallen off my rocker when I told them I was kickin' myself for not getting that Coronet.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)