News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 CHARGER PRODUCTION NUMBERS

Started by 68rustbucket, June 15, 2007, 12:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

Chad, that was the last number I had and it's probably 4-5 years old. I wouldn't treat it as 100% correct by any means. I had heard of 3-speed 318 cars but I couldn't remember seeing a documented one. Now I know. :2thumbs:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Chad L. Magee

Troy-   No problem  ;), I did not know they existed until I bought mine almost a year ago (listed here in the classifieds as an ebay car and in my college town nonetheless). :coolgleamA:  After I talked to Wayne, I looked back at the 68 literature and sure enough it was a listed option (but not well promoted).  Sometimes the only way I find out about the oddball ones is by buying them first and then doing the research to see what I actually bought (yes, I know it should be the reverse, but I just can't seem to do that for some reason :brickwall: :icon_smile_big:).......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Troy

Like you're the only one who has ever purchased something and then tried to figure out what it was... :whistling:

Troy

JimShine

I don't recall getting into the manual 318 production numbers?  :shruggy:

It seems to me the 1968 Chargers often had uncommon specs. I bet there are tons of very rare configurations on all sorts of cars. Like I mentioned about my previosu 1968, it was factory 318, factory heavy duty R/T style suspension, and factory Tick Tock Tach. I have seen other oddities (like the red paint with green interior, factory stock) that just make you scratch your head.

Troy

Jim, you made the comment that they made more cars with 383s than 318s but I posted the number I had. It's roughly 40,000 (total 383) vs 33,000 but I wrote that the 318 cars were all autos.

Troy

41husk

Any Idea how many 68 Chargers came with the power window option?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

JimShine

I see now. Sorry for the confusion.

Sort of off topic, I find it interesting to see some of the combinations out there. I bet if you really nit picked the way each car was ordered, most would be 1 of 1 or atleast one of very few. Ordering a car back then really allowed you to really get something special if you were willing to pony up the extra cash.

Joshs68

I have always been interested in finding numbers for a 318 3 spd manual ( column ) shift car. I have one also but have never been able to find a number of cars produced. .

Chad L. Magee

JimShine-  Sorry for the mixup, I read Troy's post and thought that you had mentioned what he repeated in his post without double checking before I posted my reply........

Joshs68-  Do you have it registered with TDC?  Wayne can only tell how many he has registered over the years and I don't think Galen has mentioned about them at all.  I know where two of them are up in SD, but they have not been registered yet (both are rough by the description that I was given, one may have been crushed by now).  I know Wayne said that it created quite a stir when the first one popped up a decade ago in the TDC rollcall.  Now that more have been found, they are still rare, but not unique like first thought.......  BTW- Mine was ordered with a pale yellow exterior, black vinyl top and a gold interior (not how I would have ordered one back then for sure).......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

bull

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on June 17, 2007, 10:51:39 PM
I know not many of the 383-2bbl., 4-speeds are left as I have ran across three of them that were completely parted out/cut up for ebay sales (very sad to see).  My rollover project was saved from a similar fate when I bought it up in SD nearly a decade ago.  I figure that probably 15 to 20 of the 383-2bbl. , 4-speeds are left and maybe 50-100 of the other (I have seen one that was used as a RT 4-speed clone and the guy had no idea that his was a rarer factory Charger than what he was trying to clone it into. - He wanted a RT 4-speed but had little $).  That is just my guess and the numbers might be off either way.  Most of the Charger 4-speeds lived hard lives, with most of them modified for racing, very few were kept stock.  If someone can find one with low orginal miles that has not been messed with much, that is definately a keeper in my book.......

After reading this I fealt a wave of responsibility come over me, the kind that made me feel like I should paint my 383/2bbl/4spd the original green and stick with the 2bbl. Over the past couple hours though I'm back in a 'black' state of mind. However, I am seriously thinking of running the original 2bbl. Well, it's not THE original 2bbl because that one is MIA but I did happen to find a numbers-correct 4422 Carter a while back. I don't know if I'll ever get talked into that tt1 green.

JimShine

When I see a nicely restored green Charger these days, it is really refreshing.

hemi68charger

Quote from: OldGuy on June 15, 2007, 03:42:42 PM
Quote from: 68rustbucket on June 15, 2007, 06:58:18 AM
Now another question any clue how many of those are orange with a black vinyl top. This car also has stripes on the hood in by the inlets/scoops was that factory or dealer (or just custom)

If I understand what you are asking as far as the stripes on the hood - the "inlets/scoops" are indentations/depressions in the hood for hood mounted turn signals.  Looking out of the windshield, the turn signals were placed in the face of the depression.  If the turn signals were not optioned, then a plug was inserted where the turn signals were supposed to go.  A tape strip was usually placed over the indentations (4), including the plug, if no turn signals.  If turn signals were optioned, then the tape covered the indentations up to the turn signals.  (see pic)

Also, I believe the flat part of the turn indicator lens was painted black as well to "blend" in with the vent indentations...  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.. The paint didn't usually last long for a car not garaged.. The sun faded it.....

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Joshs68

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on June 18, 2007, 04:41:55 PM
JimShine-  Sorry for the mixup, I read Troy's post and thought that you had mentioned what he repeated in his post without double checking before I posted my reply........

Joshs68-  Do you have it registered with TDC?  Wayne can only tell how many he has registered over the years and I don't think Galen has mentioned about them at all.  I know where two of them are up in SD, but they have not been registered yet (both are rough by the description that I was given, one may have been crushed by now).  I know Wayne said that it created quite a stir when the first one popped up a decade ago in the TDC rollcall.  Now that more have been found, they are still rare, but not unique like first thought.......  BTW- Mine was ordered with a pale yellow exterior, black vinyl top and a gold interior (not how I would have ordered one back then for sure).......

no I have not registered it yet but I will gladly do it, I will search here for info or you can pm me with it if you want. I have set aside the original 318 and column for now. when I got the car the original trans was gone and replaced with an auto. we changed the column to a floor shift and added a hump for a 4 spd, the pedals were never removed so they were lready in there. so its now got a 470 (stroked 400) and a 4spd. I stayed close with everything else though, It stayey qq1 blue with white interior, steel wheels , but the rearend did change, should get it home soon and I can post some pics.

68rustbucket

Thanks for all the response, I'm guessing it is not the Bengal edition because i didn't see any emblems although it is orange with a black vinyl top and black interior,(any ways it could have been re painted) now as for the stripes i snapped a quick pic today while i was down there with my camera phone its not the best but its a camera phone i would guess they were painted right when he got the car or if he repainted it if there not stock because  i really didn't want to ask alot of questions because i don't want him to ask if its rare
It is an h code Vin and i know its original engine/tranny it dose have a fender tag i just didn't have anything to write it down on and i really don't want him to wonder why i am so intrested in it and check the numbers(with the shape it is in I'm sure he is already wondering why im intrested)

68rustbucket

i just saw a pic another members car with the same stripes in there sig (The colonel)(i think thats how it was spelled :icon_smile_big: ) these are just like the stripes on the car.

are these stock? also could any stripes be special ordered

68rustbucket

Oh yeah here is a pic of the car