News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Voltage limiter question

Started by Sixtyeight, September 14, 2005, 03:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixtyeight

Hi,

After restoring my Charger and engine, I went out for a first drive.
My temp gauge read 170 and oilpressure was 40/60.

After 150 mile suddenly my gauges went 25% up. This includes the fuel meter.
Now it reads temp=220 and oil 60/80 (60 when idling, 80 when drving).

Here's the question: Is a voltage limiter able to work on different levels, or starts working perfect after a few miles??
Or do I have another problem?

Jeroen.

Charger Registration of the Netherlands / www.charger.nl
1968 R/T Charger
1969 Base Charger

8WHEELER

The Limiter will not adjust itself, if it change's it is going bad I have seen them bad many times
brand new out of the box.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

71_deputy

sounds like the contacts inside are starting to stick- replace it asap as when the stick for good it can burnout your gauges.
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

Plumcrazy

Make sure the cluster is well grounded.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Chryco Psycho

Standard has new regs , you have to search in their catalog to find them but they are in there

carlccc

I went to Fry's and bought a solid state regulator to replace the old mechanical regulator. I found one that accepted around 12-30 volts in with steady 5 volts out.   I know this is not a stock type repair, but it is much more reliable and the gauges will not move due to voltage fluctuations like with the original type.   If you want to keep your car completely original then stick with the original type, but my gauges are steady with no fluctuation.  I have also tried the small electronic regulators from Radio Shack, but I was having to constantly replace them.

Hope this helps.
Carl C

Ghoste

I haven't heard of Fry's.  Where are they out of?

carlccc

Fry's is a big electronics store that has stores around some parts of the country.  They sell everything there like computers, tv's,  stereos, appliances and such, but they also sell electronic parts like voltage regulators, transistors, circuit boards, capacitors etc.   Any electronics supply store should have solid state 5v regulators.  Go to www.Fry's.com for locations to see if one is near you.  You will have to make some wires to attach the regulator to the gauge board, but the gauges in my Charger have never worked this good.

Hope this helps,
Carl C

Ghoste

Thanks.  If we can buy these things cheaply, why is everyone screwing around with soldering one together from junk parts?

carlccc

I guess if you have a car that is original, you would want to use authentic parts.  Since my Charger started life as a 383 2 barrel granny get her groceries car, I am not worried about that. 

The correct web address is www.frys.com

I was thinking about putting a Nordskog digital gauge panel in my car since the gauge faces need to be re-done anyway, has anybody used these or heard anything about them?  Of course this would make the voltage limiter a moot point.

Carl C