News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

V10 Charger (Update 5/25/21)

Started by GT, June 21, 2007, 01:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT

OK, back on track.  I have the rear end sorted out now.  I went ahead and went with the RMS Street-Lynx.  A Triangulated 4-link.  Very nice system, and reasonable cost.  Very well engineered out.   Like the Alterkation front end, I was surprised by how beefy it was and the quality of the welds.   However, some assembly required:
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

Rolling_Thunder

overall opinion of RMS Street Lynx system ?  I have been strongly debating that set up for my Charger - I'm going to run my existing leaf springs for now to see how the car handles - but any opinion will be appreciated!   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

autodynamics

GT

Basically had to weld in the coilover support member which was extremely easy to align and setup (trivial), weld on the tabs to the rear end for the upper links, and weld on the spring perches.  The key was very careful measuring.  I spent 2 days aligning, realigning, measuring, etc. over and over and over to make sure it was right.  Pinion angle, wheel well clearance, fore and aft, etc.  The tricky part being that this was a new rear with no perches on it to begin with, so getting them parallel, and in the right location while dealing with everything else made for many iterations.  Installing this kit on an existing rear could probably be done in an afternoon.

My overall opinion of the street-lynx was extremely favorable.  I looked at several other vendor solutions as well as making my own.  I really couldn't beat Bill's setup.  It was beefy, well engineered, easy to install, clear instructions, and great customer support.
2012 Charger SRT8

autodynamics

more pics......................

GT

You know, I have a major complaint on how bad it sucks to post pics on this site.  Has to be the right size, no duplicate file names, and if someone replies while you are trying to post - guess what, you have to re-do it.   :brickwall:   I'll try again for the 5th time to post more pics  :flame:
2012 Charger SRT8

GT

Final stance - I can lower it another 2" and still allow for 4" of suspension travel (once I modify the tranny tunnel where the D60 snout is, remove the old shock brace, and notch the frame rails).

2012 Charger SRT8

GT

So I basically need to mark off the final floor pan adjustments and I can tear the car down to start the final process of body work.   I've also been fooling around with the new gages.  Since the V10 is all electronic/computer controlled, I had to ditch my old gages.  I went with Autometer Sport Comp II.  Here, I mocked up the gages using some foam board (happened to be red, I'll use 3/9" black ABS plastic later).  I think I like this arrangement - sorry for the crappy phone pics.  I also held the steering wheel approximately in the right location.  Down the road, I'll need to figure out the switches / etc.  I am trying to keep it as close to stock or retro looking as possible inside...  I can't wait for the wiring project  :eek2:

Big contrast to the stock gages.  I originally wanted to try to keep that look and put the gages behind the bezel - but there was just not enough room and I wasn't about to hack up the new gages.
2012 Charger SRT8

Rolling_Thunder

don't worry too much about the wiring - it isnt all that bad - I'd be willing to help ya wherever I can if you have any questions.  :2thumbs:   

Looking great Man!    What is the final color combo going to be ?  :D

ChargerSG

Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Musicman

six-tee-nine

I see a boost gauge in the cluster.....
Thinking about something like this :

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

GT

Yep - always planning for the future ;)   The plumbing for the air intakes/etc. are designed so that *if* i wanted to add twin turbos I could with no body mods.  However, it is not currently in the plans or funds... I gotta get this beast done... scope creep already set me back a good year or more.
2012 Charger SRT8

GT

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on March 12, 2009, 01:53:02 AM
don't worry too much about the wiring - it isnt all that bad - I'd be willing to help ya wherever I can if you have any questions.  :2thumbs:   

I'm gonna take you up on that offer down the road.  I have the SRT-10 FSM and it has like 4,500 pages of wiring nightmare.  I still have to figure out if the stock ECM is going to work or not...
2012 Charger SRT8

nh_mopar_fan

Quote from: GT on March 12, 2009, 12:14:28 AM
You know, I have a major complaint on how bad it sucks to post pics on this site.  Has to be the right size, no duplicate file names, and if someone replies while you are trying to post - guess what, you have to re-do it.   :brickwall:   I'll try again for the 5th time to post more pics  :flame:
www.tinypic.com solves all those problems.

You cannot get easier than that.

WingCharger

Hey GT, why don't you use PhotoBucket? :shruggy:
You can back up all your pics there, and posting them here, or anywhere, is a heck of a lot easier. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Your car is amazing, and I can't wait to see it completed. This icon applies fully here---> :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

69*F5*SE

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: GT on March 12, 2009, 02:01:28 PM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on March 12, 2009, 01:53:02 AM

I'm gonna take you up on that offer down the road.  I have the SRT-10 FSM and it has like 4,500 pages of wiring nightmare.  I still have to figure out if the stock ECM is going to work or not...

the factory ECM shouldnt be that hard to get to work...    I know quite a few places flash them and all that jazz...   the NGC computer should be almost identical to my hemi computer in terms of functions and inputs/outputs...     I know you can ditch down stream O2's, along with all the fun dash stuff - my suggestion would be keep the computer as a complete stand alone ECM - do not tie it into the rest of the functions of the car (like A/C, lights, gauges, and overall electrical) - keep it isolated.  When you get to that part of the project just let me know -  start scanning those manual pages    :rofl:   

GT

I've poured many weeks into scanning the CD-manuals and electrical diagrams and such.  Quite a bit of fun figuring out how to hook up the tach to a v10 - support from autometer was awesome.  :2thumbs:

I agree on the stand alone part.  I found a place that will reprogram the ECU - just need to call and ask specifics of what can be done.  Stuff like modifying for different tunes and O2 sensors seems straightforward.  The big hurdle is removing all of the security crap (had SKIM) and getting it to work without talking to the SRT-10 SKIM/RF Key system, dash cluster, body computer, etc.  These damned computers exchange VIN codes at start up via a buss and disable if something is off.   My run stand currently has the original instrument cluster, body computer and steering column attached so it will all run.  :eek2:

Worst case, I know I can step up to a Universal AEM (1900-U) and ditch all of the stock computer crap.  It's just dealing with ~$2.5K for it vs. $250 for a reprogram...

Not afraid of the wiring part... just the "TIME" involved in ironing it all out.

Speaking of which - has anyone heard of the ISIS system?  Seems pretty slick... Check out the vid:  http://www.isispower.com/index.html
2012 Charger SRT8

Rolling_Thunder

seen the ISIS system - pretty cool idea

The stock hemi computers do the same thing on start up - buss system to diagnose and recognize all systems available...   the security system can be a PITA - might want to consult the company who will flash the computer on that one. - the other alternative is to rewire your entire vehicle using the Viper body computer...    I've done this with dodge truck body harnesses in a 69 Barracuda...    pretty cool honestly.

miller

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

GT

Not a tremendous amount of progress due to spring break, b-days, etc.   
Car has been totally disassembled again and mounted on the rotisserrie - hopefully for the last time.
Spent quite a bit of time putting the v10 back on the engine run stand, changing oil, etc. to get it running again.

I'm now in the process of finishing the minor modifications to the floor pan.  I've removed the shock brace as well as the pinion snubber floor brace.  Those won't be needed due to the 4-link.  Next, I'll clearance the tunnel and frame rails a bit to ensure sufficient clearance around the Dana 60.  Since the car is lowered, these mods are necessary.

Once that is done, I'll finish welding the trans tunnel and add the torque boxes.

If I'm lucky, I'll finish the tunnel mods this weekend.

2012 Charger SRT8

miller

And I thought changing my Charger to a 440 was grueling.... I must say, great job, your dedication is truely inspiring.

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

moparstuart

anymore updates ?    :bump: :bump:     i just love this build
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

john.v

:o normally i do not like to read but this treat i love to read it again and again, very nice car you are building.  :2thumbs: