News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So a Hemi for my C500 arrived today........ Updates on page 8

Started by PocketThunder, June 24, 2007, 10:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Charger_Fan

Was the glass hard to get back in?
You gonna wash it? :icon_smile_tongue:

Congrats Man, that's gotta feel pretty good. :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

PocketThunder

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on August 23, 2007, 06:13:14 PM
Was the glass hard to get back in?
You gonna wash it? :icon_smile_tongue:

Congrats Man, that's gotta feel pretty good. :cheers:

windshield was a pain in the ass.  Back light was simple.

I dont think i'm gonna wash it, i'm gonna try and keep that "barn fresh" look going.   :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA:

Got the seat belts in tonight, wiper motor and wiper blades, so now i'm officially ready to go.   :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BigBlockSam

Quotei got blasted with leaves and dirt half the way here but that is to be expected.

:lol:  that is f-ing great!  you guys did a hell of a job.  :cheers:

now lets see some burnouts. :smilielol:  i bet it'll get good gas mileage. :D
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

69_500

Ah now Paul, you'll have to answer all of those questions like Gene did when he brought his Daytona to a show on his truck. "Is it for sale?"

Enjoy the show. I was hoping to make it, but will be coaching my sons' football jamboree this weekend.

PocketThunder

So another Charger guy Chris (Tipopiola) showed up at 1:00 on Friday and we were loaded up and on the road by 2:00pm.  The C500 ran strong all the way.  We stopped in Eau Claire at my brothers shop and checked the fluids and showed him the car.  He printed out some HEMI stickers for the hood with a label maker.  Back on the road we were having a tough time keeping up with the semi's on the steep hills,  the slant 6 was working overtime.  On the down hills we had no trouble hitting 75mph to keep up with traffic.  After a couple hours I wondered if I remembered to secure the coil to the inner fender so we stopped at the next rest area and there it was, riding along on top of the frame rail right where I left it.  D'oh!

Back on the road we hit rain after Portage and it's a good thing I bought wiper blades at napa earlier that morning.  Got to my old roommates house Friday night and hit the sack.  Saturday morning up early to get to hotel where the group was meeting, then following everyone downtown.  The car was a hit at the show, everyone walked by, looked, did a double take and then started to smile and chuckle.  They asked me why I put a slant 6 in it and I told them the story and they thought that was pretty cool.  Some people didn't believe right away that we drove it from St. Paul and that we were driving all the way back.

Then the fun part, leaving the show heading to the Race Track I heard a pop on the freeway but didn't see anything.  So we kept going and I thought I could smell antifreeze.  Got to the Milwaukee Mile parking lot and the temp guage was pegged!  D'oh!  Looked under the hood and the lower hose was hanging next to the radiator and the clamp was gone!  So I started asking anyone if they had a hose clamp and Doug (pettybird) was the man that day he had a hose clamp in his tackle box and a gallon of antifreeze.  Thanks again, I owe you a beer sometime. :cheers:

The race at the track was running late and we didn't get out on the track till 8:00pm and by then the sun had set and they don't have lights on that track.  So the picture taking wasn't very good.  But it was cool to get out there.  Then we got to go into the drivers meeting room and there were a dozen retired drivers from the 50's and up who told us stories about racing these cars when they were new.  And how back then they could only afford one car and that was the only car they used all year long, and they fixed it themselves. 

Sunday morning we were up and headed home.  The C500 ran good and we were doing at least 75mph the whole way back.  The temp guage was running just under 230º.  Getting closer to Eau Claire though there are some steeper hills to climb and we had to pull to the slow lane to get up the hills.  Then after Menomonie there is a long uphill that was working the /6 pretty hard and we got up to 260º and the /6 didn't like that so we pulled to the side and check it out, just hot, that's all.  Back on the freeway we took it easy and got home without any troubles.  My front brake drum must have broke a spring or something when we were 2 blocks away from my garage because there was a grinding sound when I let off the brakes.  Pulled the car in the garage and shut the door and that was it.

Overall I'm glad I went on this trip, I spent $315 total on this car to go from a rolling body shell to driving condition and that included the first tank of gas!

Paul
In St. Paul

I have more pics that i need to resize and some video to put on youtube, i'll try and get to that tonight.  Last night i was beat and went to bed instead.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

Name that board member..! ...?..???  Anyone?  it shouldnt be too hard. :icon_smile_big:

supserdave

Paul, that is the coolest story ever. Thats probably the best $315 bucks you ever spent!

moparstuart

wow awesome story sure wish i could have made the show   , and seen the car

General_01

Glad you guys made it. Sounds like it was a fun weekend. The car looks good rolling on the track. :2thumbs:

As far as the pic of members go, I only know Paul(in blue shirt), Chris(in white shirt on right). Is that MsMopar and pettybird?

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

PocketThunder

Quote from: General_01 on August 27, 2007, 02:18:45 PM
Glad you guys made it. Sounds like it was a fun weekend. The car looks good rolling on the track. :2thumbs:

As far as the pic of members go, I only know Paul(in blue shirt), Chris(in white shirt on right). Is that MsMopar and pettybird?

DING DING DING  you are the man Dean.  :cheers:  We got to meet Vicky (MsMopar) and she was the coolest lady there.  Chris was standing next to one of the other C500's and overheard her talking about the car and he thought, how can one lady know so much about Charger 500's, she must be MsMopar, so he asked her and sure enough it was her.  I've got some video of MsMopar rocking out to some disco on the radio in my car on the way to the race track infield, I'll get that up on youtube right away when I get home.. Bwahahahaha!!!

Hey Dean, were you the one that tightened the lower radiator hose on the C500 that day we were putting the engine in?  :whistling:  Or was that Timmy (Timmy)   :scratchchin: :scratchchin: Or was it that Chevy guy. :brickwall:      :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

General_01

I know nothing......NOTHING! :icon_smile_big: Honestly, I don't know what I touched up front. I did touch the gas tank and that didn't fall out. Or did it? Don't tell me. :icon_smile_big:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

pettybird

wow $315...  i spent more than that on maintenance parts this spring for the cars...

dymo label maker FTW.  there were a lot of people there that can't read VIN's and wanted to know if it was a real hemi car.  next time out make sure you take along a 'leaning tower of power' sign.

glad you made it home!  it was uneventful for me, too, but i've wrenched it into that level if reliability over the past 18 years, not 3 months.  good job!

doug

MsMopar

Hey everbody! I had a great time at the meet this weekend! Thanks to Paul and Chris for adopting me since my car wasn't quite road ready yet.
Glad to see they made it home OK. Thanks to Doug too for the tickets to get in the track, even though I was a freeloader.

I noticed Paul mentioned the radiator hose but not the incident prior to that when the hood started coming up on the freeway.  :o  Thank god for that second latch or he'd be buying another windshield. Oh and the driver door popping open every once in a while made it a challenge for him to drive, especially when he is hanging out the window trying to video the convoy on the freeway. :D

I give him a lot of credit for getting that car together for the meet.  I think his car got more attention than the other cars just because it was unrestored.  Some people said he deserved best of show.  :2thumbs:

Hope to see them again soon! Maybe I will have my car with me next time.  ;) MsMopar

moparstuart

i agree i think it's great when people bring out there in progress project cars 
some people are so hung up on having a completed car before they show it
     i love seeing those under construction cars and they do always draw a crowd 

pettybird

you should have seen it 25 years ago...  anyone remember terry roelofs assembling his wing in the hotel parking lot?  he thrashed that car together a couple times for meets. 

not to mention the last minute throw togethers my dad performed to go somewhere.  if he wasn't up until 4AM the day we were leaving, something was very wrong.

moparstuart

PocketThunder

Quote from: MsMopar on August 28, 2007, 04:41:24 PM
I noticed Paul mentioned the radiator hose but not the incident prior to that when the hood started coming up on the freeway.  :o  Thank god for that second latch or he'd be buying another windshield. Oh and the driver door popping open every once in a while made it a challenge for him to drive, especially when he is hanging out the window trying to video the convoy on the freeway. :D
  ;) MsMopar

Oh maybe i did forget that part.... Who shut the hood before we left anyways?  :scratchchin:   :scratchchin:   :shruggy:   :popcrn:

BigBlockSam

Quotei love seeing those under construction cars and they do always draw a crowd   

i dig seeing people's projects on the road and at shows. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Charger_Fan

Pretty cool story PT, sounds like you had fun! :icon_smile_big:
Did you get wet in the rain, with no side windows?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

PocketThunder

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on August 29, 2007, 01:01:51 PM
Pretty cool story PT, sounds like you had fun! :icon_smile_big:
Did you get wet in the rain, with no side windows?

Side glass was in the car, we were too lazy to roll up it up, but it didnt rain that hard to come in the window.  It was more of a heavy mist rain.  Plus the C500 goes so fast and with its aerodynamic body the rain didnt have a chance to get in thru the side openiings :icon_smile_big:  It did however find its way down thru the cowl vents and onto the front floorboards!  D'oh! :icon_smile_blackeye:  good thing there are drain holes in my floorboards right now..  :yesnod:        :icon_smile_blackeye:  :-\

tipopiola

Hmmmmm, who did shut the hood?!!   :icon_smile_big: The trip was awesome!  I'm the dorky guy in the white shirt (Chris) that rode down with Paul in the 500 and I've got to say thay by far this trip was the highlight of my Summer.  I'm a high school shop teacher with a whole 3 months off in the summer so being the highlight of my summer is saying quite a bit.  Like has been said, we had some cool adventure, some cool misadventure, and got to meet up with some cool people along the way.  It was great meeting some of the other folks from the board here.  It was also really fun to have MsMopar hang out with us and spend the afternoon at the track with us.  Sounds like she's got her hands full with a few projects as well!  The site of the aero car show was really beautiful.  We were parked about 2 feet from Lake Michigan and on the other side of the car was a beauriful park.  The car ran without incident except for peeing green outside the Milwaukee Mile race track and the front right drum brake locking up about 2 blocks before we got back to Pauls place, other than that she ran like a champ, a fairly slow, yet super cool rusty champ!  You wouldn't believe the stares that rusty beast got on the roads!  Seeing people taking pictures with their phones as the passed us on the up hill climbs was hilarious!  It was really motivating for me to get my car put together, running, and driving!!!  Feel really fortunate to have been able to make the trip and look forward to doing it again, maybe in my own pile of parts next time!  Thanks for lettin' me tag along!  Tipopiola

PocketThunder

Video of MsMopar rocking out to Night Fever :nana:, but it was only a couple of seconds, then i went back to the drive into the Track. 

I'll get more video on youtube as i get time, my nights are filled with honey-do's after taking last week off from housework.. :icon_smile_big:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vheP74NGw8s

BigBlockSam

hemi68charger

Cool video Paul !!!!  Wish I had my current camera for something like that during the 'Dega Meet.........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection