News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Base Coat/Clear Coat Question

Started by Judhudson, September 19, 2005, 09:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judhudson

I need to hear your thoughts on this....

A buddy at work restored a 69 Mustang four years ago and painted it "Base Coat Clear Coat" - Single Stage.  He said the Clear Coat was mixed right in with the base and when the paint dries, the clear comes up.  After 4 years, it still looks really nice.  However, I'm about to paint my car and I am not sure which route I should go.  Is it better to go "Base Coat Clear Coat" - 2 Stages (applying the base then the clear) or should would it be better to paint it "Base Coat Clear Coat" - Single Stage where the clear is mixed in?  He says it is better to go with the Single stage and it is a little cheaper, plus he is a classic car expert, but I'd thought I should hear from the mopar owners first :)

-Jud

Judhudson

That's some good advice.  I never knew that.  Thanks for the tip, I'll go with the 3 stages of base and 3 stages of clear then.  :)

One small thing I should note... I have a 73 Charger, and the trunk, door jambs, engine bay are all painted.  What will be painted is all of the outside of the car.  How much paint would you think I need to complete the 3 coats of base and clear?

Judhudson

Thanks again dads_69!  As for the pictures, my parents are the ones with the camera, so the only shots I have are with a regular camera.  I haven't really been doing any documenting like I should have because...well I'm not a picture person :P