News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Single stage paint vs. basecoat/clearcoat.

Started by timinator, September 19, 2005, 01:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timinator

I'm getting ready to shoot my '69 Charger in a new color (Charger Red.) To save money, I was thinking of doing the door jambs, under the hood, etc. in my garage with a single stage enamel or acrylic and then having the outside of the car shot at a professional shop with a basecoat/clearcoat which I think looks better. Anyone see any problems with this or would there be a stark contrast between the two types of paint?

hotrod98

Stark would be a good description.
I would spend the little extra money and go with base clear all over.
The car will look so much better and more professional. Every time you open the doors or the hood it will be a constant reminder of how you could have done better. Been there...done that.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

quikshft

Agreed, and if your going to handle the jambs, underhood, trunk etc. why not bite the bullet and go for the exterior. Base clear is reasonably forgiving, the base sprays easily whether a solid color or metallic, and runs can be blocked out of the clear without too much trouble. (don't ask how I know)  :icon_smile_big: