News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I spoke with the Edelbrock guys about there carbs vs Holley...

Started by Paul G, July 24, 2005, 04:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 28, 2005, 02:31:11 AM
Whil;e Demons have some nice features I still like Holley better , often you nned to change air bleeds to get the Demons right

Bingo....from what i've seen they (Demon) are allways rich at idle and lean wide open....a tuning nightmare. Holley's usually have the fuel curve pretty close if the carb is properly sized for the combo.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Quote from: Duey on July 28, 2005, 08:23:04 PM

Roger that Ron, as you know, I won't be able to work on the car now until next spring...but I figure I'll get the 4150 HP 830 annular and take the time to tune it when I whack the engine on Shawn's dyno.   :icon_smile_big:

Duey

:2thumbs:      I'll be looking forward to that dyno session   :devil:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Steve P.

I hope you have better luck than i did. The last two speed demons i worked on were horrible to tune....couldn't get them to idle : way too rich. >:( And fouled plugs very quickly while contaminating the oil with fuel. The floats were set correct and the power valve was sized properly for the application. And yes, i checked the power valve and it wasn't blown.

Ron

I tuned Mike's Speed Demon without much trouble at all. A strange thing I found with the carb, (right out of the box), was that the secondary plate was adjusted open a crack.. I didn't notice it before I put it on the intake and fired it up. I couldn't adjust it for shiP until I spotted the real problem.. I quick adjustment there and it was off to the races..

Then again I neglected to mention that Mike lives in Vegas and they are at 2300 feet above sea level.. Also they have very clean burning low smog gas out there..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

CFMopar

QuoteAnybody running a pro-form 830 annular on a strong 440?  Ron, Neil... your gyus thoughts?

I just bought a proform 750 body for my 3310 its downleg but fwiw in my opinon its alot better than my old holley body. Plus the proform bodies flow alot more air. The 750 body flows about 830.  Very nice upgrade for any holley carb. Well it give me 25-50 hp as they claim  ??? I doubt it but As chryco said the car feels more responsive and Im sure it did add a few ponies over my old body with the big choke tower with no choke.

Also for the guy considering the edelbrock (forgot who started this thread sorry) I wouldnt. It took me a while to get used to tuning a holley but its so much better. Once you got it figured out its simple. A double pumper is a bit harder than a vac secondary carb but keep at it and you'll find its much better when you got it figured out than a edlebrock you just bolt on out of the box.
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

CFMopar

QuoteAlso, since Duey asked about the Pro-Form 830 annular, what are the advantages and disadvantages of a down leg booster carb compared to a annular booster carb and vice versa. Thanks guys!

Get this months car craft. They go into detail on boosters  ;)
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Ghoste

A stupid question but, if the Demons are supposed to be such a great Holley improvement that Holley sued BG"s ass and icorporated a lot of his upgrades, why are you guys having so much trouble with them?

Chryco Psycho

the Demons have a lot of nice features but you have to buy exactly the right Demon as they are very specifically tuned for manifold vacuum , often you need to adjust the bleed sizes to tune the Demons in exactly

Ghoste

Basically a race only piece then?  Realistically of course.

firefighter3931

Ghoste

Which comes back to my reason for using an Eddycarter on the street.  It has much less to do with whether or not I know anything about carbs and a whole lot to do with the PITA factor.